1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

I like your choices. I find both the whiskey and Ravello appealing. Much appreciated Seven.

2. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Well-Known Member

One caveat to add, if you have a high instep as I do, I have size up one width to an E. If I didn't do this the strap on the LHS would kill the top on my feet. Just my experience with the LHS.

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

I concur with all of the above, I actually go down a width for both Barrie and Van, however, it may be very difficult to find Ravello, Cigar, or Whiskey LHS in a C width. If you end up settling (if you can call it that) for Black or #8, I encourage you to check out the unlined LHS exclusive to BB. Very comfortable! I heard that once upon a time the Madison BB offered an Unlined Whiskey LHS, which would have been great for you.

Good Luck! Don't forget to post pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#8 Indy & EP

1 person likes this.
  5. speekez

speekez Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My girls, back from restoration, it's a whole new shoe, gents. Forgot how heavy and substantial they are, i'd worn them to the nub before, and they felt much lighter. Was considering having the resole done locally, a la Don Ville on La Brea, but I'm glad I went with Alden's program. I was wondering if they'd replace the cork footbed, and they definitely do.

And those cedar trees they give you are the business. jah bless

5 people like this.
  6. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Those boots look outstanding. The restoration program is one reason I'm definitely sticking with Alden.

1 person likes this.
  7. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

looks great, man. any before pics? also, what was the turn around time and cost? last i checked it was about $140

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  8. speekez

[​IMG]

Thanks NAMOR, turnaround was 6 weeks (felt like eternity without these in my rotation), $140. I'll post better b4 pix. They'd gotten very light before I'd sent them in (I never use wax, only Reno). They had a ton of nicks and cuts, and a hole in the left sole.

I was tempted to ask Alden if they could avoid using any wax in the resoling, but I sortof wanted to get the whole experience. w/e, I'm sure the wax will strip off in due time. They are oxblood as all get out. Smell like turpentine too, it's nice.

9. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

speaking of restoration.. I have some alden seconds that i picked up here on SF.. does Alden take issue with working on noted "seconds"? If so, B.Nelson would be the next choice (or first, haven't decided)

10. ubiquiti

ubiquiti Well-Known Member

I don't see why they would take issue with working on seconds.

11. speekez

my restoration was actually $160, my b. I was considering B. Nelson, because I wanted flush toe-taps put on my chukkas (petty thuggin'), but I talked to Tom(?) at LSBH, and he talked me out of it. He said because only Alden has the original lasts, he would only use their restoration.

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

That is interesting, I had wondered about that.

B. Nelson says on his website: "Each pair of shoes is fitted with the correct size last before the sole is removed. "

but i guess it says nothing about being the original last.

I wonder if it's better to go to Alden for re-sole as well, for that same reason?

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,
    you should go with the 11 D

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Speekez - this is a GREAT report back. So nice to see a beautiful pair completely done back up like new. Thank you for posting!

15. closerlook

closerlook Well-Known Member

those are fabulous

16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

So Alden also refurbished the upper? It looks good. Did you include a letter or something requested what you would like done?

17. jacksh

jacksh Well-Known Member

Seven, why you prefer plaza? How is the toe area compared in these two lasts? Plaza more snug?

18. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Personally I find the plaza to be the most attractive of all Alden lasts. Additionally I find that the toe box fits my toes perfectly where as the Barrie they tend to get a little lost even with the 1/2 size down. Sorry to jump in here just my 02.

19. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

speekez, I really dig your vernacular. Great pics and personality in your post.

20. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

It's already been said 10 times over, but those look awesome. I feel unless you want to 'change' the style of sole, Alden is the way to go to have them replaced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.