1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanford88

stanford88 Well-Known Member

I never understood the sole breaking in until my 3rd pair, and there is a noticeable difference afterwards. Heel slippage in the beginning is normal, and some people say it is necessary for correct fit.

2. alex4nder

alex4nder Well-Known Member

So, this is strange. This past week I got two pairs of Aldens: 1) Alden x Epaulet Brixton in #8 Shell and 2) the Alden x J.Crew LWB in ravello with brass eyelets that were just put up for sale from the Ludlow shop. Both are marked 9 1/2D, and I thought they were both on the Barrie last. I'm totally confused, because the Brixton is shorter and narrower than the LWB.

Did I miss the memo, and these aren't both supposed to be Barrie?

Here are the markings from the shoes:

Alden x J.Crew Ravello LWB 9.5D
    3.5" at the wide part of the heel
    12 3/4" Long

9 1/2 B/D 2H26X025 10

Alden x Epaulet Brixton 9.5D
    3.25" at the wide part of the heel
    12 1/2" Long

9 1/2 B/D 2?14 026 10

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

Heel slip is a relative concept. You can certainly have too much. Use caution.

4. Organika

Organika Well-Known Member

When you put them on, the LWB fits wider and longer also?

5. alex4nder

alex4nder Well-Known Member

Yes. I only measured when I noticed the new LWBs were much less snug.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Did you try an 8D? When you went from D to E width, you also went from B to C in heel width.

I am 9D in basically all of my Barrie's - shoes and boots, shell and calf and suede, lined and unlined. My unlined suede PTB's on the flex sole are easily the most snug of the bunch. My shell PTBs and shell 2-eyelet chukkas fit more or less the same and my shell LWBs are ever so slightly roomier than the shell PTBs/chukkas. My 2 eyelet chukkas fit just as well as my PTBs and neither have heel slippage.

My favorite shell chukka is cigar.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  7. TB82

TB82 Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wearing my cigar cordovan boots for the first time today. The Grant last is great... Glad that I went 0.5 size larger then my Tru-Balance Indy's.

8. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

These reverse chamois were perfect for some Bourbon St fun last weekend...
    [​IMG]

9. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Wow! Nice stuff my friend! Was that the Lost and Found pre order you told me about?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Many people have reported that Barrie lasted boots are often shorter and narrower than Barrie lasted longwings. I have found this myself with Barrie captoe boots, and have subsequently sold all of mine (for boots, I need an E width). It seems to me that Barrie longwings tend to be longer and wider than most Barrie shoes in the same size.

11. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

Ugh. I had two Alden shipments from TSM that were supposed to be delivered by FedEx yesterday. I was working from home and noticed both tracking numbers said "Delivered. Left at front door." about 5 minutes after the recorded delivery time. I opened my door and the packages weren't there. I'm currently waiting for FedEx to get back to me.

12. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Well-Known Member

No.
    My fiancé bought these for me as a christmas gift, got them and they were too long and a little snug across the vamp. We contacted LS and they had one pair left in the next size down and an E width.
    Just got these in last night and they fit spot on, perhaps a wee bit snug across the vamp but being they are soft calf I am sure they will loosen with time.

Now if our weather would just cooperate eh I'd be able to wear them.

13. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

That is concerning. I had an order from jcrew before the holidays that I had been tracking in great anticipation of receipt (shoes). So on Friday December 7th the package tracking showed delivered (by UPS) with a note that package was left at front door at 3:37 pm. I was at work but my wife who works from home was there at that exact time. I called jcrew to explain the problem and they said they would be submitting a claim to UPS and would get back to me. The following Monday December 10th, low and behold UPS truck pulls up and delivers the package. Out of curiousity I checked the tracking number on the package and it matched what I had tracked and no additional information was added online/UPS tracking.

The whole thing seemed very fishy to me and I have to say that I suspect the UPS driver was behind it. I don't understand why companies like jcrew and theshoemart broadcast their logo's all over their exterior packaging. IMO nothing good is to be gained from that and its really just an invitation for theft.

14. Papa Doble

Hmm, I wonder if I should alert TSM of this.

15. tmw

tmw Well-Known Member

cigar shell Tankers, Barrie last[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

I would let them know right away, definitely. You don't want to be left on the hook for this.

17. Papa Doble

Thanks. I just did.

18. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

^Also, it may all be relatively innocent. I had UPS deliver several boxes down the street from their intended destination within the last year or so. It was the holidays and I'm sure the driver didn't know the area. You may have had a replacement driver put the boxes down in front of a door that he thought was yours. Not saying this makes sense, but it does happen. I'm sure FedEx will find the boxes. A pain to have to wait, of course, and I hope you didn't pay extra for faster delivery...

19. Papa Doble

I didn't pay any extra money for expedited shipping, and I don't mind waiting a couple days, provided the packages show up. I just don't want to be on the hook for this, like you said.

20. rfc84

rfc84 Member

On I've had a fedex driver scan the package as delivered when he was still en route before. He eventually showed up with it a good hour after it was supposedly delivered. He didn't have much of an explanation for why he did this, i called fedex after and complained about the incident for what it was worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.