1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Thanks for the kind words.
    These were a special makeup for leffot.
    My favorite pair of Aldens.

2. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Well-Known Member

Some really nice pics on the forum today.

My favorite chukka is the Frans Boone black shell six eyelet chukka with a close heel & flat welt for it has a superior fit, even though cigar is my go to chukka. :)

Very kind, thank you sir.

Thank you.

3. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

I passed (after much anguish ) on a pair of these that had been returned to the san francisco store last week.I had a pair of cigar indys in the mail and I also have a pair of like new hanover one color (ravello) saddle shoes. When I discussed the choice with my wife she she seemed to not understand one cannot posess too much ravello shell.Love my indy boots but I wish I hadnt seen that pic . Could they be the same boots purchased last from sf store 101/2 d??

4. Numbernine

Sorry these boots above post

5. Renton

Renton Well-Known Member

The J. Gilbert saddles were on the barrie if you'd like to add that to your list.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Pebblegrain has a wonderful avatar. I've had nightmares about that ESPN clown, Merril Hoge, and his tie length. That he can shed his suit coat and expose said tie length with a straight face is a true testament to how curiously absurd this guy dresses. And don't even get me started on his fist-sized tie knots. :D

1 person likes this.
  7. sevenfoldtieguy

These are very nice shell belts. I have purchased shell belts before but ultimately returned them. The multi-piece construction (which is necessary, of course) just didn't sit right with me. Just a personal thing... But hats off to those who are not bothered by them. :nodding:

8. sevenfoldtieguy

There is a 10.5 ravello captoe boot available on the Unionmade site. :D

9. Olifter

Olifter Well-Known Member

I may have over done it a bit on my first pair of shells. I used Saphir cream, and also the Alden wax, but probably too much as there is some build up. After coming across this forum and learning about proper care of cordovan leather (less is better, Mac method, etc.) my subsequent purchases look much better.

For those that have some experience with this, what process and which products (assume one or more of the Saphir) do I use to remove the excess and start over?

Thanks in advance for any help.

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Saphir Renomat is designed to clean and remove wax and does an excellent job. I've only used it on calf, however. I'm sure it would work just as well on shell but I don't know if there would be any ill effect.

11. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

Brush brush brush. If that doesn't work, brush. Maybe some buffing.

12. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Alden DC Grant Cigar Caps on this Snow Day

[​IMG]

13. sevenfoldtieguy

I've used it on shell with no ill effects.

14. cfrp

cfrp Well-Known Member

How much do the Alden belts generally sell for?

Asking for opinions here: When wearing jeans with the more jean appropriate Alden shoes - cuff or no cuff.

15. Numbernine

Saphir Renomat is designed to clean and remove wax and does an excellent job. I've only used it on calf, however. I'm sure it would work just as well on shell but I don't know if there would be any ill effect.[/quote
    unless youve used reno mat before id stay away from it on fairly new shell it can be a bit aggressive i ve never had a problem with renovateur build up and it does remove wax
    you could try immedietly removing it with a soft cloth just before it it dries buff and repeat ive had that work quite well a bit expensive but ive found it to be the safest most effective route .you wiil know its working because you will see color coming off. how much is sort of up to you to decide .
    i am a new member here and a bit of a shell obsessive ive restored several pair of vintage shell shoes and even used a couple pair for " mad doctor" experiments. ive discovered several methods that i know to work well . just depends on the situation . I would certainly be willing to share these.

16. Numbernine

sorry about the horrible post above . its early here on the left coast and my kids gettiing off to school

17. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

IIRC I think the Black/#8 was around $250 and the $Exotic was 285. I got the 35mm because I like how it looks more substantial. Sort of how Alden shoes are clunkier compared to many other brands. That appeals to me in both cases. Also, nickel buckle. I don't really like gold in general, and it would be a deal breaker for me every time.

Cuffed/uncuffed personal preference. Probably also depends on the jeans and rest of the outfit. If you had some very dressy jeans that you are wearing with a sports coat, uncuffed may be more appropriate. If you were wearing something more casual, maybe cuffed.

Just one guys opinion, not sure there is such a thing as a right answer.

18. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

19. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Frank,

You have been killing it lately! Your shoe game is way strong!

I'd be interested in seeing a family photo at some point, if you are so obliged.

PM it if it's not sufficiently Alden focused for this thread.

20. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

^Appreciate that, Bakes. I enjoy seeing people's photos, so I want to make sure I'm posting myself. Also trying to work on the photo quality. The above is not a prime effort, as I note it is hard to actually see the boots.

A family photo is a good idea, and there's plenty of Alden that is suitable for this thread. Will have to wait until the wife is out of the house so she doesn't see all the shoes together... :rotflmao:

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.