1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

Is that the Modified last?

You can certainly change the laces. I did on my black calf NSTs. And they work very well for casual wear, denim, chinos, dark cords. A big part of it is your comfort level. I only have two pair of black shoes, the NSTs and plain cap toes. SO I have no heart burn throwing on the NSTs with casual dress.

2. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Thank you Uncle. Very comfortable boot

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,
    would you cut this down
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  4. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Well-Known Member

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Think of needing the E width as a useful limiter. "Shoot, no E width? Better skip it..." That does not always work for me though...

And I agree with this.

I like this. Missed noting them earlier.

And, on the belt topic, Rancourt does shell belts in saddle and #8. They do a dark brown shell that I believe they dye in house (Bakes11771 has shell boots in this color and you can see his photos in the Rancourt thread). I imagine they could do a belt in that too. These are MTO with about a three week turnaround when I ordered. I suppose the color or finish won't be likely to match Alden exactly, but then it seems Alden doesn't frequently match itself for color and finish.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

truthfully, I would.. not a fan of the buckle, and wouldnt have a problem sizing down if I could not find my size
    good to know, thank you for the heads up. researching now

7. Factor Xll

Factor Xll Well-Known Member

8. 100 yrs

100 yrs Well-Known Member

i appreciate the feedback. i most likely would get more use out of the cap toe than the plain toe post-wedding. although i do not have to wear these in a business setting, so we're talking a couple of times a year where i would like to have a cap-toe bal. which is an argument for the cheaper AE Park Ave. right now my "dress" shoe is a pair of AE MCallisters that I found thrifting, just would like to get something special for the wedding, if the budget allows
    and while that offering from leather soul on the plaza last looks awesome, i would prefer a calf make-up in this instance. both in terms of cost and i like the way black calf looks.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the PA ........

10. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I have the Color #8 shell cordovan belt from Rancourt and thought that I would chime in that the color is much lighter than Alden's color #8, at least initially. I have had mine for about a year and it has been worn nearly every day since then (except on those rare occasions I need a black belt) and the color hasn't faded too much. I would imagine that when my shoes fade a bit more eventually the colors will match up. When I first received the belt I had sort of wished it was a bit darker or more towards the purple spectrum of color #8 but it's grown on me and I have no complaints now. I would buy one from Rancourt all over again if I needed another belt.

11. pennzi12

pennzi12 Active Member

I posted pictures of these a few pages back. Purchased in the fall and wear them all the time. Great color and surprisingly flexible leather boot. I think the All Weather Walker is made from the same leather. Maybe others can chime in on their experiences.

12. tmw

tmw Well-Known Member

I make the rounds at all the Alden shops every so often just for S+G's asking for shell belts....often I hear a sigh at the end of the phone. Honestly, I don't think anyone has a clue.
    The best bet for a shell (non-Alden) belt right now is Epaulet. I bought a saddle shell belt from them last month and love it. Not cheap though. If enough of us got together and asked Adele and Mike to have Carmina make a bunch of belts for SF members maybe they'll be interested?

My 10 y.o #8 Alden belt is well loved and still looking great.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

I was told by a major Alden retailer employee that he has literally never even seen a ravello belt. :D

14. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Some (most) would call us the "more money than brains club"...even though I have no money.

"Hi my name is ______ and i just spent $720 on shoes that I'm afraid to wear in the rain, that dont quite fit, that people think look like plastic, all becaue they are a rare color ..."

:fistbump: at least there is a special page for people like us!!!

1 person likes this.
  15. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

The Unionmade Kirkwood Cordovan Cap Toe Boot in Ravello 39623HC, I'm really digging these.........[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

^^^Man I'm bummed my order never made it for those. Absolutely killer [​IMG] ^^^

First wear for my newly restored Black Calf NST's with new waterlock soles.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

wow. just too nice.

18. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Or, I propose:

Hi, my name is ____________. I just spent $720 on a horse's a$$.

J Gilbert's plaza last NST today. Picture color is a bit off, but the beauty of #8 comes through
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. tmw

tmw Well-Known Member

Alden D.C cigar captoe Grant last[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Cigar boot looking great. Almost looks like a color 8. Must have been a dark batch of cigar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.