1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Every man needs at least one great boot. Your j.crew or the 4060 would be my pick. Don't over think it; don't trade them for another blucher.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

ReppTie, Alden's cap toe boots are some of their best offerings... I think captoe boots fit well across a variety of different outfits (casual and more formal) and would be a great addition to your collection (if I recall correctly, your collection consists mainly of longwings).

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Uncle, very dapper.

4. Todd V

Todd V Well-Known Member

Peronsally, the 4060 grant captoe in #8 is my one boot, though if I could have gotten the perf or even a medallion, I would have.

5. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Well-Known Member

thanks! yup momos, BOM003 from blue owl

6. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

I got these during the sale (sorry dude) and I think I'll keep them. While not quite as sleek as cap toe boots on the Grant or Plaza, to me they appear sleeker than some other Barrie lasted shoes -- maybe due to the cap toe? I might prefer a commando sole, but I think I'll just wear them until they need a resole and reassess at that point. Enjoy wearing if you decide to keep them.

7. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Whiskey gunboats today

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

So much of it comes down to one's intended uses. The captoe boot on the grant, leather sole, is, IMO, probably the dressiest boot Alden makes. If a guy is looking for a dress boot, this is it. Can it be worn casually too? Most would say yes.

Boots on the Barrie are nice (and I have many - chukkas, ravello captoe, etc.), but they aren't as dressy. Personally, I have enough dress shoes that I typically don't consider wearing a boot for more formal purposes (although it certainly can be pulled off, and even look quite nice). In light of all that, I like a boot that can be worn with everything from business casual to denim. My color 8 boots on the plaza (NST and WT), commando sole, fit the bill quite nicely. I like them both, but I'd give a slight edge to the NST.

So ... that's my long explanation for my short answer. :D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  9. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Well-Known Member

If I were to get a second boot I would want to get the NST/Plaza/Commando model. Preferably in cigar. If nothing else, just to have some variety. I wouldn't want to have two cap toe models, especially if the difference is slight punching along the cap seam.

I would want them to look different and serve different purposes (eg commando sole).

10. Chaos_Cow

Chaos_Cow Well-Known Member

Color 8 Plaza captoe really is the one boot (t-shirts, button-downs, jeans, chinos, suits), though I would also accept Modified as an answer...

But is it a 2, 3, or 4 boot? Maybe, maybe not - there are a lot of fair responses. I don't personally own one, but I own other shoes so I don't need a oneshoe.

But as a oneboot I don't think it can be beat.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

man wait for march on these J Crew Indys is going to feel like forever

12. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

I think the "one boot" would vary significantly by person. I for example fall into the category of only wearing suits to weddings and funerals (in general) so I would give suits no consideration what so ever in my "one boot" since I'm in a suit once (maybe twice) in an average year. I guess I'm lucky at work too, business casual at best. I could wear jeans and indy's to work on any given day.

For me, if I could just have one boot it would be plain toe boot, cigar shell, commando sole, barrie last, eyelets & speedhooks, this would get me though 95% of what I do on a work and personal level until june/july when it gets too hot for boots. same boot in color 8 would probably do the trick too.

13. neutrino

neutrino Well-Known Member

I would abstain from such statements in a thread which has people waiting for their boots for like 2 years [​IMG]

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

good looking boot, wear in good health

15. mcarthur

nephew,
    thank you

16. mcarthur

nephew,
    i like your gunboats

17. mcarthur

[​IMG]
    ravello ptb
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

18. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

19. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

I think the J.Crew #8 PCT boots on the Barrie look sleeker than my other Barries for mainly two reasons --- one, a flat welt and so the welt doesn't protrude as much as with a split-reverse welt, and two, the close heel. I used to prefer 360-degree welting for the visual symmetry but I'm leaning to close heels now as then the heel doesn't seem so humongous, at least for the Barrie and Trubalance shoes/boots.

20. linafelt

linafelt Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.