1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    #8 lhs
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

Mine hits just past the stitching and I consider them a perfect fit. How's the width and is there any heel slip?

3. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

I go to where my pinky toe is super tight and if the ball of my foot is at the widest point of the shoe

4. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Well-Known Member

I already know that I bought a size too wide (6E; should have gone 6D I think), and there is definitely heel slippage. I'm planning on selling them and buying another pair, but I'm a bit worried that my problem will not be solved by going to a 6D or C. Given that Alden does not make a 5.5, I might just be shit out of luck.

To be fair, I have a pair of Alden #8 LWBs in 6D (Barrie) and they fit pretty snug.

Any insights?

5. greekgeek

greekgeek Well-Known Member

Ah OK. they have four in my size... kind of on the fence. The price is about $80 higher than when they first were on the site.

Does anyone know when the next 10% alden sale is at the Shoe Mart?

6. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

I would suggest a 6D. The toe is not so much the issue, but the heel slippage. Most people wear the same in Barrie and Trubalance.

7. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Funny - I called The Shoe Mart about that exact shoe on Monday of last week. The sales girl said it was out of stock and they had no intention of reordering. I purchased the Ravello NST oxford instead. I recieved that but it was fit like it was a 9.5 E instead of a D so I sent it back. I love the Alden NST but Alden can be a truly frustrating company. I really was set on some Ravellow shell in that style. I will call again about the boot.

8. kram6136

kram6136 Well-Known Member

Here are a few shots of my travel collection, taken during a business trip. The J. Gilbert boots are new, the others have a few miles on them. By the way, these J. Gilbert boots are my first on the Plaza last, and I really like them. Of course Yenni was great to deal with. Though I had some trepidation due to only having experienced the Trubalance and Barrie lasts before, the Plaza fits fine and looks great. I'm really happy with them.

Clockwise, from eleven o'clock: Alden for Epaulet Officer Indy (brown CXL); J. Gilbert #8 wingtip boot, Plaza last; Alden SF ravello PTB; MOTO Long Chukka (black CXL).

[​IMG]

From left: MOTO Long Chukka, black CXL; Alden for Epaulet Officer Indy; J. Gilbert #8 wingtip boot, Plaza last; Alden SF ravello PTB.

[​IMG]

9. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

10. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Wow I'm very impressed!

11. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Very nice. I particularly like the chukka.

12. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

Don't judge length by the big toe - judge by the ball of your foot, which should line up with the widest part of the shoe.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

My dark brown shell Marlows are not medium colored. There are variations in shell so certainly yours could be a shade or two lighter than mine. Mine are easily darker than all my Alden cigar models. Thus far I have only used neutral shell cordovan cream from Saphir on my Marlows, but, when I want a bit of color, I plan to use the Saphir dark brown shell cordovan cream.

I have used Saphir's dark brown shell cordovan cream on my cigar LWBs and AE brown shell strands. I anticipated it would darken them slightly (as they are each lighter in color than the cream) - which it did - but, IMO, each model looks better after the application.

14. DCwaxedLWB

DCwaxedLWB Member

Thanks for the kind replies!

Update: Che from the DC Alden store said she will have the manager, Kathy, call me tomorrow (unless the East Coast is under water) to see if Alden will approve a straight-up exchange/credit. Apparently, the DC Alden store is owned by the company, so there is more flexibility (hopefully).

If not, I'll have to wade into the world of Internet spammers and scammers.

In response to ReppTiePrepster, I also have to give a hat-tip to J Crew for introducing me to Alden. After decades of wearing department store dreck, those waxed longwings I got at the J Crew Liquor store in TriBeCa were a bloody revelation. Oh, so that's the way shoes are supposed to feel and look.

Now I'm hooked. But at least it's not on hookers or booze. I can wear the shoes to work.

15. terradilavoro

terradilavoro Well-Known Member

"Papa Doble"
    You guys know more than me on this subject, but with this reasoning, wouldn't medium brown, as opposed to light brown, be the correct choice for dark brown shoes? I guess I don't understand why you would go all the way down to light brown for dark brown shoes.

evidence in practice
    [ATTACHMENT=4322]Ralph Lauren Marlow C&J 325 006.JPG (2,946k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    [ATTACHMENT=4321]Ralph Lauren Marlow C&J 325 002.JPG (2,861k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

@ sevenfoldtieguy - are your Marlows darker than mine?

16. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Orvis did a version of the "George Boot". I looks to be a pull-up leather like CXL. Not sure of your size but anything over a size 10 is in stock (anything smaller will ship in a few weeks).

[​IMG]

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3C47

17. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

18. ubiquiti

ubiquiti Well-Known Member

Which Indy did you buy? If it's the 405, I'll take them off your hands.

Also if a 6D Barrie fits you well then a 6D Trubalance should work well for you. I personally wear a 6.5D Barrie and 6.5D Trubalance although my feet could work with a 6E Barrie/Trubalance.

19. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

Ok, Indy boots are over. Unionmade has a new shipment in and they're now nearly 500 bucks. Getting a little ridic.

20. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

They've been $468 for all of 2012 and custom editions at $495 or more. So it's over since you're behind the times?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.