1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

I think this, and responses to previously posed questions such as "name your top 3 Aldens," just illustrates how a variety of people wear and get different use out of Aldens. SpooPoker and mcarthur are two examples of guys who wear Aldens and are stylish in their own, different ways. Sure, I don't see SpooPoker wearing a PTB any time soon, but I've seen him wear full strap penny loafers and suede tassel loafers, if memory serves.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

There is no company that year in and year out offers the selection of shell cordovan lace-ups as Alden does, at any price point.

3. Papa Doble

True story.

4. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

Alpina has the tobacco chamois. I do not but I can supplement his response on that leather with my experience with the kudu. Put us together and you sort of get your complete answer. lol

I have the kudu longwings from Leffot on the plantation crepe sole. I wore them all through the late winter and spring in the foul weather (rain, slush, mud, what little snow we had this year), and just started wearing them again for the fall this month. I have given them no treatment except hitting them with the brush after each wearing and they still look brand new. The natural oils (or rather however Horween and Alden treat them) make this shoe seem nearly impenetrable to the elements while still feeling nice and supple.

I have handled the tobacco chamois (but not worn) and I like the color quite a bit more than the kudu but I think the waxiness of the kudu beats the chamois in terms of durability.

Here's some old photos of my kudu longwings - I'll have to get a photo out in the elements sometime.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Well-Known Member

you're absolutely correct.

though i'm not speaking expressly about cordovan. i would never own a cordovan dress shoe. i think the shine is tacky/cheap looking in a formal setting. IMO, calf looks far more elegant on a proper black balmoral.

there are also far better constructed shoes than alden, i own 5 pairs of alden's, 2 john lobb's, 1 church's, and two crockett's. far and away, they are all constructed more precisely and to a higher standard than alden. of my 5 alden's... 3 have had factory damage. one a tear in the brogueing, loose threads, gaps in the heel tap, etc. i don't love them any less, for the stuff they are good at, they are the best... custom make ups, boots, etc.

on the flip, no boot looks as good as a sleek cordovan boot. cordovan looks fantastic on a penny (LHS) or nearly any loafer for that matter.

6. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LS #4 4x4

1 person likes this.
  7. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    black tassels
    argyles otc

8. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

Agree with this post. The British makers have far better lasting, detailing, and quality control than Alden. None offer the range of cordovan boots of Alden however.

FWIW I feel that cordovan boots only look "sleek" when the leather is new/shiny and the wavy creasing throws off the look for worn pairs. Also I would note that C&J has some cordovan loafer models that are more elegantly lasted and constructed (e.g. no 360 degree welt) than Aldens.

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I think the majority on this thread say that is that if you wan a calfskin dress shoe, there are at least comparable options (and likely better options) than Alden, but if you want a cordovan "dress shoe" (its uncertain if you want to call them "formal" or not), then Alden is basically at the top in style and variety (quality may be behind the RL Marlows). The desirability of cordovan shoes is debatable, but many (including me) like them a lot.

EDIT - And as I and others have mentioned many times, sleekness is not necessarily a virtue, it is a style choice (I have both sleek and chunkier styles of shoes)

10. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Well-Known Member

Different strokes for different folks I guess. These PTB boots from Alden of Carmel (special order for Jimmy Au's) are pretty much the perfect boot in my book:

[​IMG]

Forgive my ignorance, but is there any way to get my hands on a special make-up such as these if the original stockist is sold out?

11. sevenfoldtieguy

I too like the English makers.

And, since you mentioned JL above, as but one example of a non-Alden shoe, I own a double monk dark brown calf John Lobb that is perhaps the finest double monk shoe I have ever seen. Moving on.

This (bold) makes it hard to take you seriously. It really does. I have calf and shell shoes for formal settings. I easily prefer shell, but I have no problem if another prefers calf. If you prefer calf, fine - but to then say shell looks tacky/cheap makes you lose credibility, and appear almost silly.

I have all the brands you speak of, though my total comes in around seven-fold of yours.

12. Papa Doble

Welcome back Uncle. Nice combination as usual.

13. violethour1951

violethour1951 Well-Known Member

I love my Aldens, but Vass' shell cordovan shoes can be quite comparable to, if not better than, Aldens. They tend to be more sleek as well. Take a look through the Vass thread.

Vass saddle shell semi-brogue & ravello plain captoe:

[​IMG]

Vass antique cognac shell semi-brogue:

[​IMG]

Vass whiskey shell punch captoe:

[​IMG]

14. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

all this talk of "sleek" shoes: do you guys that wear sleek shoes have super narrow feet or something? or do you just have a ton of extra (pointy) room at the end of the shoe, past your toes?

15. jimney

jimney Well-Known Member

I never even thought of kudu or chamois longwings. Sadly Leffot's chamois preorder seems to be sold out in my size. Does anybody have any other options or stores that sell these shoes?

16. sevenfoldtieguy

This (bold), as it relates to calf, has been true in my experience (assuming we are talking about JL, EG, C&J, ...). And I have been heard to say more than once that I have had QC issues with Alden (shell or calf).

17. MS007

MS007 Well-Known Member

18. Alcibiades

I don't doubt that Vass cordovan shoes are at least comparable and likely better than Alden (I haven't tried them on, though). However, Vass retails for $1200+, right? I can get a rare-cordovan Alden balmoral shoe for $740. Edward Green also makes better cordovan shoes than Alden, but they cost more than twice as much (I see cordovan shell wingtip bluchers selling for $1,600 at Leffot and Leather Soul). It's not really fair to compare Edward Green, Vass cordovan to Alden - it's almost the same thing as comparing Kiton, Oxxford, whatever to Brooks Brothers for suits. At the current price point, the only comparable cordovan shoes I see on the market are Carmina (which is really a different aesthetic) and Crockett and Jones (which we all know and love)

Edit - we haven't mentioned leathers like suede, chromexcel, etc.

19. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

No, I think you can get the Vass for around the same price, it's just more of a hassle. You can get calf Vass MTO proxied for $650 I've heard.

20. Alcibiades

Hmm. Ok - I stand corrected. I'll look into it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.