1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. violethour1951

violethour1951 Well-Known Member

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I understand the intent - I see a lot of these bad, square toed Kenneth Cole black slip ons around with side gores, and these are clearly a vast improvement on that. The style itself has some virtue (comfortable, easy, on and off) and probably looks similar to a chukka or a PTB on the foot. Leather Soul will probably sell out of these. However, if I want a shoe with no or minimal laces, give me a tassel loafer, LHS or a chukka over these

3. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

Honestly, I dig them. I think they would be good as a travel shoe. I am getting a bit tired of carrying a travel shoehorn and lacing my shoes back up after securiy. Of course it sounds petty, but I generally take very early or very late flights and it becomes surprisingly annoying for me.

My bigger issue is that I think the style might be one that is really not well served by the creases and rolls of cordovan.

1 person likes this.
  4. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

Not at all petty. Slip-ons are great for frequent travelers - the sanity saved is even greater than the time saved.

This would be my biggest concern as well.

5. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

Mine are on the Fed-Ex truck scheduled to deliver today [​IMG] I just hope they'll leave it with my apartment office while I'm at work.

I think shell would be well served on those, actually. I have some slip-ons in calf that have some pretty unsightly creasing all up and down the vamp.

6. hermano

hermano Active Member

howdy,
    can anyone tell me what last this model boot is on- 86066 H

thanks kindly!

7. rennavate

rennavate Well-Known Member

Any updates on the Leffot Day Trippers?

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

+1

9. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

10. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Getting those shoes because they're easy on/off for security checkpoints is evidence that the terrorists have won.

2 people like this.
  11. chantheman

chantheman Well-Known Member

this. i was the same. charge when shipped. strange i didnt get an email from TSM on this yet. those that were lucky to get their size shipped in the #4 wingtip boot really lucked out

12. REguy

REguy Well-Known Member

While the latest LS offering reminds me of the slippers the pope wears, I give them credit for resurrecting something out of the archives. I love seeing something other than LWBs for a change.

I'm sure I speak for more than just myself when I say I have more pairs of shoes than I know what to do with and now only buy when I see something unique. That being the case, I say dig deeper into Alden's closet and pull out some relics that'll really shake things up!

13. mcbrown

Ditto. I don't think they're so bad. Not everyone's cup of tea, and especially not for this particular audience which is much more into boots and chunky shoes, but that doesn't mean they're inherently awful. Sort of like Alden's wholecut loafers - I have never seen one on a human foot, in real life or on the internet, but they're kind of cool in their way and always draw my attention at Alden Madison.

14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

on one hand, sure, otoh, this is a style of shoe that every crap shoe maker currently has - it's not exactly an Indiana Jones type find

15. mcbrown

Every crap shoemaker also makes black laceups - doesn't mean the same style can't be done better. :fonz:

16. velomane

velomane Well-Known Member

Frankly, it is my opinion that the UPS rep you spoke with is full of shit. Canadians are well aware of UPS' extortionist brokerage charges. In Canada, most of the fees charged in a case such as yours would be going straight into the UPS coffer, with only the absolute required amount remitted to the government. For example, a Timbuktu messenger back I ordered several years ago got charged with an extra $80 in fees (for a $180 item). I told them the to send it back. A few days later, the local UPS people phoned me to say that I can broker it myself. I did so, at a cost of an hour of my time and $20 in tax. All I had to do was go to UPS, pick up some paperwork, go to the Customs office (not very far from UPS) and clear my parcel, then go back to UPS to get the goods. I realize geography may not make this viable for many of you, but it is for me. Over the years, I've cleared many of my UPS deliveries myself. Even so, I try to avoid using the company as much as possible.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  17. sevenfoldtieguy

While this is not me, this is an absolutely true statement. Alden's dressier offerings get very little play on this thread. But oh well, it is what it is. And, in truth, I like some (but not all) Alden boots and I like many Barrie lasted shoes.

18. SLAB

SLAB Well-Known Member

wanted to show some excellent craftmanship from 'the Shoehealer' who repaired my Indy's in less than a week. Neoprene sole changed for a single leather midsole and dainite outersole

[​IMG]
    IMG_3616 by SLAB13, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3617 by SLAB13, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3618 by SLAB13, on Flickr

19. Alpina

Alpina Well-Known Member

Not that I can offer. I emailed this to Leffot but have not gotten reply yet. Alas, I'm thinking about starting a horse ranch.

Hey Guys,

I was poking around for information about a supposed Ravello shell shortage, and came across this post by the guys over at Epaulet. Are you getting the same intel they are—that there is basically none on the horizon? If you sense this order will be well into 2013, I will almost be relieved, as I could then try to forget about it and have it be a nice surprise when it arrives.

20. sevenfoldtieguy

I recently purchased the dark brown shell RL Marlow SWB from RL online (made by C&J). I took advantage of the 25% off promo they were running ($850 less 25%). They will serve as a very nice brother to my ravello SWB. My Marlows are quite a bit darker than even my cigar models (which I was expecting).

For those on here that want the elusive ravello SWB, but can't seem to get lucky enough to track them down, I would highly recommend giving the Marlow a shot (if, in fact, you are willing to go to a darker brown).

I went TTS. The fit is somewhat similar to the Tremont.

A good weekend to one and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.