1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Does anybody know who stocks ravello and/or whiskey PTBs?

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Gents, I'm based in Australia and have a pair of Alden for Leather Soul CXL Pitt Boots that I'm looking to sell.

They're size 9.5D on the Barrie last, and are beautiful boots for fall/winter. I've worn them around 15-20 times, so they are showing some signs of wear. I look after them well, and sale will include original Alden bags and boxes. Please PM me for pictures before I place them up on B&S. Shipping to US from Australia is $70 AUD.

NB. These retailed for $595, and per my understanding, are currently not available in Leather Soul stores.

This model (photo when new):

[​IMG]

3. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Well-Known Member

^^ Nice looking boots!

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Alden DC had some ravello last I checked. SkyValet has some whiskey.

5. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Even if they're duty free (which they should be) UPS will likely ding you for their fees.
    The last time I got charged from UPS, total was $58 for a pair of Tricker's.
    That includes the customs and the UPS fees. I'm not sure of the breakdown of fees for UPS, but fedex charges $25 for clearance + $5 advancement fee.

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

7. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Anybody have experience with Montana Pitch Blend on the CXL Indys?

8. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

I'm a fan! I used it last winter/spring on my 403s. I only use it on "rugged" calfskin, and only during the rainy season. Otherwise I use Saphir Reno. Leffot has a video on it; if you haven't seen it: http://leffot.com/2012/01/22/boot-dressing/

9. mothball

mothball Well-Known Member

Yes--I've not taken them out in heavy rains, but light showers have been fine. They darkened just a touch with the treatment.

10. RyanAnderson

RyanAnderson Well-Known Member

I've finally decided to go with some #8 PTBs, now just trying to determine where to buy from. Is there any place to get these at a discount? They seem to be $625 everywhere I see them but I know they are one of the most common models available.

11. closerlook

closerlook Well-Known Member

on the off chance you are an 8D, I can hook a fellow SFer up.
    see the listing in my sig.

12. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Well-Known Member

i used Montana Pitch Blend on some CXL Plaza wingtip boots., two coats, per Leffot's recommendation. as mentioned, it does darken the color a bit but goes back to normal after about a week or two, i've found.

there's a Leffot application video here.

here is a picture of my boots 24 hrs. after applying. you can see the darkened color pretty well, despite the poor quality of the pics.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  13. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

gah. my size and i love that boot (i actually bought it in 9D to see if it would work, but it didn't so i sold it on B&S) but the shipping from AUS is just brutal. good luck with the sale dude!

14. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Thanks! How often do you apply it?

15. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Well-Known Member

well these are brand new, so first application. but i just brush 'em after each wear, and i figure i'll clean and reapply when water stops beading on them.

16. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

How obvious haha [​IMG]

17. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

625 is the norm. Alden sf and Shoemart are very good choices.

18. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Hi mate, thank you. Shipping from Aus is brutal, I know, however, we get charged $10 additionally that goes to US Customs for all parcels which only adds to the overall cost.

In any case, I'll PM you pics of the boots after I take them for you to make an informed decision.

P.S. Sorry to hear you bought a size that doesn't fit as well as you'd hoped.

19. pelican

pelican Well-Known Member

Yeah, i always try to avoid UPS or Fedex on intl mail if possible. The post office may take a few extra days to a week, but at least there is usually no fee or import tax. Ups usually just sends a bill a few weeks after surprising you with an amount pretty much guaranteed.

20. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Does anybody have experience with returning Aldens to Sky Valet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.