1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

I am a bit new to shoes but I have grown very, very fond of Aldens. I have some cigar LWBs and just bought the 403. I always hear that color 8 is the most versatile, but I don't own color 8 nor can I see that being true (through my novice eyes). I am a college student, who typically wears dark denim/chinos/button downs. Does it still work so well for my situation?

2. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

Yes absolutely. Color 8 matches just about everything, with the possible exception of black pants, though I've been known to wear them with black slacks given the right outfit. You can wear Color 8 with denim, grays, navys, olives, khakis, earth tones, you name it.

3. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Hm, I considering I own the cigar and Indy, do you think a color 8 option is a good choice? I'm trying to feed my budding shoe addiction here :p

4. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

And, where are my manners, thank you very much for your response!!!

5. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Color 8 matches well with everything, but for me I've never been a fan of burgundy. Got the 975s as well as the lhs in #8 and ended up selling both as I didn't find the color pleasant. What area do you go to school? Personally I think ravello or C&J brown would be a better fit. Didn't see anybody wearing any burgundy in college ever.

6. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

I go to school in MA

7. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

There is a bit more #8 then, I guess get what you like, all Alden colors will match pretty well and be useful for you if you're building up a collection

8. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

I think it would fit in given the location, too. I'm a huge fan of Alden. Sadly, my wallet isn't. Anybody want a dog? JK he's awesome, coulnd't do that

9. ubiquiti

ubiquiti Well-Known Member

I remember your post. Did you ever get that issue fixed?

Also I ordered half a size down from my Grant size. Fit is quite similar with the color 8 Indy a tad bit roomier.

10. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

Color 8 matches everything cigar does...but color 8 also goes with charcoal.

11. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

Cigar is a great color, and one of my favorites, but the continuum of what matches with it is only a subset of that which matches Color 8. Don't get me wrong - cigar has a ton of versatility, more than most colors out there, but not quite to the extent of color 8. The Indy, as you know, describes a boot, not a color, so not sure if it's a relevant factor.

Since you're on a budget, my recommendation would be to get either the LWB of PTB in color 8, and then build the collection from there. Trade the dog in for some horsehide [​IMG]

12. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Haha :)

Yup I meant cigar LWB, sorry! It's so beautiful. I saw all these pictures up here and I had to have it.

13. heterophilous

heterophilous Well-Known Member

one other retailer that carries aldens besides nro, tannery, j. crew, and barney's is mr. sid's in newton . . . similar stock to tannery and nro, but there's lots of other stuff in the suiting / apparel section that makes a visit worthwhile . . .

14. Tommi

Tommi Well-Known Member

Somebody should sell me size 10.5 or 11 D (or E) Barrie-lasted Alden shoes. Anyone?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  15. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

Worth a re-viewing from time to time:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

16. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Leydon last is TTS unlike barrie and trubalance, correct?

Thanks for the video!

17. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

some find that the Leydon is slightly narrower than TTS. I wear 12B Barrie but need to size up to 12.5C for Leydon. Best to try a pair on first if possible.

18. neutrino

neutrino Well-Known Member

Yes it is. Although it is said to be one of the narrower lasts.
    Oops, 10 minutes late.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  19. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

I always thought the reason why #8 is said to be so versitile is because it goes with both grey and blue, particulaly when talking about dress shoes and suits.

I understand that it is said to go with almost anything, but I see where you are coming from. For example, I personally could never wear it with red, orange or yellow. Just doesn't look right to my eyes.

20. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input. Btw, which boots are in your avatar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.