1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Where are the captoe makeups from originally?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

I got one 2 days ago for 11.5e, but nothing else (I'm also signed up for 12d, 12e, 11.5d)

3. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Well-Known Member

per el argentino's natural cxl indy boots...

agreed! how do you polish/care for them? my pair need some love and these look great...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  4. Storm33

Storm33 Well-Known Member

I am wearing my cigar shell LWBs today, and noticed that the leather has separated on the inner side of one shoe where the longwing is stitched to the vamp. The photo illustrates this, but I have to bend the shoe quite a bit for it to show.

These have been worn no more than 20 times total. I bought them here on the forum within the last six months, and I'm wondering how to approach Alden customer service regarding repair / replacement. Any advice is appreciated.

[​IMG]

5. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I have a question about boots. Alden shoes are not much to my liking but I am found of the boots.

Last fall I purchased a pair of Indy cigar cordovan in a size 11.5 (I believe from Shoe Mart). I almost went with the tanker boot cordovan 8.

I do like the Indy, but now I am considering also getting the tanker. I have a few questions:

How similar are these boots? I don't want shoes that look too much alike.

Are the heels thiner on the tankers thiner than the Indy's? I wear a size 11.5 and the Indy's have quite a substantial heel.

Last question, do I order the same size in tankers (Barrie)?

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Mac method, man -

Essentially,
    Wear
    Take off
    Trees in
    Immediately brush down at medium strength and rather quick brushstrokes for 5-10 minutes (combined)
    Put in closet.

I've reno'd them maybe 2x in 9 months now.

Maybe a quick wipedown with a mildly damp towelette or something if they're noticeably dirty - otherwise the brush takes most of it off.

EDIT: I think I applied a single coat of meltonian shoe cream early on in they're life. I believe that's why they've darkened and "aged" a bit from new-naturalCXL color. I like it, personally.

7. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

That much (extreme) rolling/folding looks like the shoes are too big for you. I know you said you had to bend the shoe a lot, but even at full stride she shoe should never look like that. IMO.

8. advan031

advan031 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

cigar goodness...Alden of DC cap toe in grant.

4 people like this.
  9. jt2gt

jt2gt Well-Known Member

^Rockin....love it. JT

10. Storm33

I sized down appropriately for Barrie last (this isn't my first / only pair of Alden LWB), and there isn't a lot of room in the toe box / they don't slip, so I don't thing sizing is an issue. The shoe is bent at about 45 degrees - maybe more - in that photo. So, with that aside, any advice on how to approach this with Alden since I didn't buy this pair from a store?

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

This will make it difficult (if not impossible) for you in terms of getting anything free of charge. Take them to a competent cobbler.

12. Olifter

Olifter Well-Known Member

You probably need to call, but I had an issue with a pair I bought through a local distributor and they referred me back there.

13. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

Gotta love this forum - can't ask a non-fit question without at least 3 people trying to diagnose your fit based on a closeup anyway. :)

Where are you located? If you have any decent cobblers in your area you might want to get an opinion/quote before going through the hassle of approaching Alden. This could be a simple matter of adding a stitch, which might be cheap. If it's a cheap repair, why go through the hassle of sending the shoes off by mail to a place where you won't be able to talk face-to-face with the repairperson? Besides, it's not obvious to me that this is a QC issue rather than a wear issue - it might be QC, but it's not obviously so. A consultation with a cobbler can also help you address that question.

Edit: Not to mention the obvious issue that even if blame can clearly be pinned on QC rather than wear, it's not obvious that Alden will help you out free of charge anyway. Start with a cobbler and go from there if you can.

14. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

I've never approached them with an issue like this, but I would just call or email Alden and let them know that you have a shoe with a manufacturing defect and describe it. Ask if they can fix it.

If they ask where you bought them, just say that you dont remember, you think they may have come from...

or ask the seller where he got them.

I don't think it should matter who you bought them from, they still made the shoe. If they have only been worn less than 20 times, it doesn't seem unreasonable to suggest that it is a manufacturing defect.

I would be polite, but insistant.

Again, I have no expereince with this, but that is personally how I would approach it.

Good Luck.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

This is their standard company policy. Moreover, for issues of QC - based on experience and what I have been told - they require that the shoes come from the retailer, not the customer.

16. sevenfoldtieguy

... and underused.

17. Storm33

Thanks to everyone who provided valuable input. I may just send them to Nick V. and see what he can do...

18. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

Bump my own question.

19. blue collar

I don't own a pair of tankers but i do have shoes in both lasts. Most people are the same size in barrie and trubalance. However, some have said because of the hand sewn nature (gathering of material around the stitching) of the NST/tanker, it causes the barrie to fit a little tighter in the toe box than a ptb would. This should be considered if you are already tight, width wise, on the Trubalance.

20. blue collar

MIND=BLOWN!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.