1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Well-Known Member

^^ What kind of advice are you looking for?

2. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Well-Known Member

is snuff and dark brown really similar, I was hoping they'd be lighter
    but I checked the model # and they are snuff

3. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Very nice.

4. 1965

1965 Member

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

No. And I have both. Not sure what to tell you ....

Send them back for a pair of the same size if possible. Perhaps it is just that pair?

6. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

Will make it that much easier to replace the crepe when it's worn out...might go leather/commando

Yes, Shoe Mart. Guessing it was a MTO...they had no history and I haven't seen them listed anywhere..?

7. ambivalence

ambivalence Well-Known Member

What shoe trees size should i get for a 7.5d / 8d? Barrie, Trubalance and van.

Small or medium?

8. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Depends on the brand? I'm a size 8.5 (8 in Barrie/TruBalance/etc) and I get a medium from the ones at Nordstrom Rack.

9. ambivalence

ambivalence Well-Known Member

Oh.. im planning to get the woodlore(allen edmonds) shoe trees

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

These are lined, correct?

11. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

i wear an 8d in barrie, and i get the small woodlore trees. medium are too big.

12. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Returning to the topic of possible duty fees on Aldens shipped from the EU (Frans Boone) to the US by UPS: I did end up getting an invoice for duty and brokerage fees, though as far as I can tell this is in error (https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/375/~/duty-on-u.s.-made-goods-returning-to-the-u.s.). What's unfortunate is that I have now had to call and leave a message to discuss this with someone at UPS, which is a waste of my time.

It looks as if Frans Boone did not mark USA made goods on the invoice and actually has language saying that the items are of EU origin unless otherwise noted. So that is likely the problem. I suppose anyone ordering Aldens from them should emphasize that the invoice needs to be clearly marked: USA made goods.

Addendum: It looks as if there's also a form that's supposed to be filled out by the importer: http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_3311.pdf. Not sure if that means me, or if UPS might have filled this out (and I'm sure charged me $6.50 to do it, which may well be fair enough).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  13. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

$6.50 is worth it and I'm willing to pay. Did you get hit with a brokerage fee too and for how much? Im hesitant to buy from overseas because of the customs/brokerage fees. It's just a pain in the neck and unfortunate considering how strong the dollar is compared to euro

14. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Well-Known Member

I had to pay $64 in brokerage fees on a pair of shells.

15. FrankCowperwood

Yes, the $6.50 is a fee, then duty was $61 or 8.5%. As far as I can tell this is an error, though understandable since the package wasn't properly marked. It is a little bit of a pain though, and I can understand why you would hesitate. Note that DHL has not charged fees, just UPS.

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

For FedEx?

17. poena

poena Well-Known Member

Good point. Thanks. I do fill a trubalance pretty fully I think. I'll check again tonight.

Or maybe I should get to a store to try on some Barrie last. I just really want a pair of LWBs!

18. FrankCowperwood

Boots were assessed at a value of $722. My experience with these things is limited to this one instance, but my guess is that the variation in totals will depend on how much of a brokerage fee a carrier charges and what the duty rate is for a given item. The duty rate is most likely different for different goods.

Still waiting for Linda from UPS to call me back... must have one person dealing with this. :cloud:

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

What did you get? Frans Boone has sick make ups. The Ravello Indy on plaza last is great

20. FrankCowperwood

Mine are the Grant last captoe parajumpers in #8. Really like the shape and the bright brass eyelets/speed hooks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.