1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,
    i do no have the shoe you just purchased

2. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

What stitching are you referring? I don't think the stitching determines the last, nor does the last determine the stitching.

Probably more like whatever the merchant specifies for the make-up is what Alden does.

We have confirmation from Alden themselves that those cigar Indy boots at the Alden San Francsico store are Barrie last, along with a couple of people who have gone there in person and tried them on all confirming Barrie last...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

I have the shell rainbow in chukkas. :slayer:

Given your post above, I would recommend cigar, then ravello. :nodding:

4. shellshoe

shellshoe Member

Has anyone had any transaction with http://jgilbertfootwear.com before? How was it? I am lookng at buying a pair of Alden boots designed by them but communication stopped after 2 emails regarding getting the right size for the boots. I was going to provide my credit card details for the purchase but am unsure if I should go ahead as providing credit card details coupled with the poor communication seems rather risky.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  5. mcarthur

nephew,
    my reaction is just the opposite of yours-my first choice would be ravello and then cigar

6. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

These may be the best looking all around boots I've seen on SF. NIce choice.

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

I think I have to agree Mr. Mac... Ravello is my first choice, they wow the heck out of me. However, there are some cigar shades (the darker the better) that are pretty damn stunning. My cigar LWB are pretty light and my new Ravello LWB (Alden DC) are on the darker end of the spectrum. They are nearly the same color... pretty disappointed. Anyone know how I can darken my Cigar Shell??

8. sevenfoldtieguy

Give Saphir dark brown shell cordovan cream a try. I used it on my AE dark brown shell Strands, and they went from a ho-hum chocolate brown to a much deeper/richer dark brown - and that was my intended result. :nodding:

9. mcarthur

cigar and ravello lwb are good looking shoes- i am big believerwhen it comes to the exotic colors that time will take care of your issue; therefore, i would do nothing

10. sevenfoldtieguy

Uncle, I am not surprised by your order change (and certainly either one is great). But perhaps our "disagreement" stems more from our overall preferences - with you tipping the scales slightly in favor of ravello over cigar and I tipping the scales slightly in favor of cigar over ravello. For example, I get the impression you - even if by the slightest of margins - would favor the ravello LWB over the cigar LWB. I personally would switch that order, and the margin, for that model, would be more than slight. :nodding: Having said all of that, I have an equal number of models in each color.

But of course there is no right or wrong, just personal preferences ...

A good weekend to you, fine sir.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

Yes. Call and ask for Yenni. She is great to work with.

12. herrmj

herrmj Well-Known Member

They are a great place, purchase with confidence.

13. zazaza

zazaza Well-Known Member

great suggestion, and it got me thinking...
    Does anyone have experience using a darker color saphir cream on whiskey?

14. sevenfoldtieguy

I have never done that, but I have used Saphir's neutral shell cordovan cream on whiskey, as well as Saphir Reno on whiskey. The neutral shell cordovan cream will slightly darken the whiskey particularly if applied liberally. All in all I prefer to use Reno on my Whiskeys.

1 person likes this.
  15. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

16. sevenfoldtieguy

They have 9D in stock at $484. Any takers?

17. HorseHide

HorseHide Well-Known Member

You have chukkas in #4? :paranoia: If not, then you don't have the SF officially sanctioned rainbow.

18. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Well-Known Member

Error or not, this is the deal of the year.

19. closerlook

closerlook Well-Known Member

not sure anyone was interested in knowing, but i figured out that these are the ALDEN TANKER OX
    they were made for retailers in JAPAN it seems
    BARRIE last

being on the barrie they are too big for me, so I will have to pass them off to someone else, I'm afraid.

20. illumin8em

illumin8em Well-Known Member

I have a question for you fine chaps. Anyone with a pair of cotton lined 405s experience an increasing squeakiness in the boot uppers? It has almost gotten to the point of not wearing them because of the loudness especially going down steps. They are in great shape so that can't be the issue. I have never owned the leather lined version so I didn't know if this was common throughout. Any tips for fixing?

Also, I know I have seen it here, but can someone point me to advice on stitching this darn tongue in place?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.