1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Well-Known Member

2. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

I cancelled my order with them for 2 reasons (I have not received an email response yet confirming this cancellation):

1. They said it would take 14 weeks for cigar LHS to ship, and since I wasn't sure of my size, I didn't want to wait that long to find out that they didn't fit, and deal with returns (see point 2).
    2. I read MANY negative reviews saying that NRO tends to be unresponsive when you try to initiate a return, and when they do respond, they try to force store credit in place of a true return.

It's possible that my experience could have been fine, but ultimately I didn't want to risk ending up with $500 in store credit. Buying through The Shoe Mart, for example, would be more expensive than NRO's sale, but I know that I can trust their return policy (which for a beginner like myself is important, I think). I could regret that decision if others report on positive results.

3. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Love em!

Those will be my first double up on black shell for sure!

4. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

That really is amazing. Of course, for each place like this there are a few others that really do focus on customer service. And they don't even have to be big operations. Glad you got your chukkas and your discount.

6. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

I'd almost say bring the shoes back across the river and show them to the SA and laugh in his face in an antagonizing way, but why waste your time on idiots like him. Plus, it would just bring you down to his level.

7. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Well-Known Member

^I'm with him.

8. jt2gt

jt2gt Well-Known Member

On the lookout for some saddle shoes. Besides the ones at Shoemart (Alpine calfskin with #8 saddle) which I am seriously condsidering. Anyone know who else has some nice saddles available. How about some pics. Thanks...JT

Hmm...just looked and Shoemart is out of those. Looking for size 8 barrie or equivalent.

9. zazaza

zazaza Well-Known Member

That is incredible. I spoke to someone at NRO on the phone about getting what I'd like in store since I live not far from there...I was told that their internet business is in a completely separate location and not part of their Boston store.

The crazy thing is you were doing them a favor by having them not pay for shipping!

What a terrible way to do business.

My experience with them so far has left me feeling that i'll likely never deal with them again, even with discounts like these.

I'd rather give a small shop with great service the business.

10. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

I kept saying the same thing as well, I'd rather buy somewhere else and give a quality shop my money. But, for 25% off, it's so hard to turn down. I had some hassles, but I eventually got what I ordered from their last 20% off sale, and now I'm waiting for confirmation on another order from their 25% off sale.

Luckily, there are still many other great stores that do special make-ups that NRO can't offer, so they will always get my money for an exclusive product (see: Epaulet, LS, Leffot). But for a stock shoe that every place offers at the same price, 25% off can be almost too good to ignore, especially when Alden almost never goes on sale anywhere else. Even though OP has a ridiculous story about a horrible business, he still bought from them to take advantage of the discount :nodding:

11. ElliottPapineau

ElliottPapineau Well-Known Member

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

^ The pic on the NRO website does not do those justice at all.

13. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

NRO is what store again?

14. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Well-Known Member

Thanks. Black shell is extremely versatile, as demonstrated by the recent great shots of the black shell shortwings.

15. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Alden Madison Avenue had a #8/alpine grain saddle shoe on it's shelves when I was there earlier in the month. I'm definitely looking for a nice saddle shoe myself. I keep hoping that Leffot will bring back it's saddle shoe that is the reverse of the TSM/AMA shoe: The alpine grain is the saddle and the vamp etc is #8.

16. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

North River Outfitters

(Note: I only posted this b/c I like to hear myself talk.)

1 person likes this.
  17. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

thanks man... yeah I saw that nasty post earlier... dude must have started the 4th libations early?

18. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

am i blind? where were these on the NRO website?

19. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

^^^'Dems be a great looking shoe. Congrats, and enjoy wearing!!

20. trig

trig Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.