• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambivalence

Reaction score
same here guys.. i have the 405.. love the burgundy hue... but sometimes kinda wish i should have gotten the 403...

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the 403s look a bit "warmer" than the 405s.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sported my Alden Indy #8 shells today around boston and man... they turned some heads lolz .... haven't had that reaction on any other pair of boots/shoes before :slayer:

That sounds like a great boot. I love cigar, but #8 really is special.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the 405, but kept the 403 , for me it was no contest. the chromexcel is so good and perfect for a boot like that.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are people's thoughts on the Indy 405 vs 403? I have the 403 but sometimes have second thoughts and wish I had bought the original. I've also heard that the 405 color can sometimes be too orange.
I see Leffot has the 405 with commando sole, which is tempting my wallet.

I have the 405 and think sometimes I should have gotten the 403. The clear answer is to buy both. lol

I must be one of the few who love the burgundy hue of the Indy 405. That was why I bought a pair.

same here guys.. i have the 405.. love the burgundy hue... but sometimes kinda wish i should have gotten the 403...

I think the 403s look a bit "warmer" than the 405s.

We also covet what we don't have :) The grass *is* always greener...isn't it?

Last edited:

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bluchers and suits? i thought that was shunned or something

It depends how conservatively you dress. Most any true MC guy (certainly nearly all the AAAC people) will tell you only bals with suits, but the last is really what matters. Balmoral lasts just tend to be sleeker, and more suit-friendly. It's just a personal style decision.

Now that I look again, the LS Hampton medallion bluchers really seem like the ideal Alden suit-friendly blucher: http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2011/12/26/alden-shoes-hampton-medallion-blucher-lsw/

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bluchers and suits? i thought that was shunned or something

I wear these bluchers shoes with suits:

1) #8 longwing (barrie)
2) #4 Atom (tremont)
3) Ralph Lauren dark brown Darlton
4) Ravello longwing (barrie)

Loafers (tassel, full strap in aberdeen) are also OK with suits. One reason I am attempting to sell my ravello PTBs is that I find the combination of the width (barrie, E fitting) and the creasing on it to be a bit too informal for suits. I think one of the unique benefits of cordovan wingtips, loafers, etc is the fact that they can be worn credibly with both suits and jeans.

My black calfskin shoes are balmorals (Church's). I am going to add a pair or two of Edward Green to the suit rotation as well.

I find them all to be pretty suit appropriate. A lot of well dressed individuals are wearing bluchers with suits nowadays. Traditionally it was bal only, but that isn't the case anymore IMO. That said, I would love to see Alden make more balmoral cordovan shoes.

Last edited:

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that winter is almost over, if anyone is considering selling some longwings/bluchers or walkers with commando soles in size US 9D, shoot me a pm :) They are needed for a trip in a few weeks.

sfactor23

Reaction score
I had the 405, but kept the 403 , for me it was no contest. the chromexcel is so good and perfect for a boot like that.

+1
I have the 403s and the 404s - Leffot is offering the 405s with a commando sole, and I was really tempted to get them but, to me, the 403s are nicer

Last edited:

formz

Reaction score
zhychl.jpg

Love my 403s. Beat the hell out of them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads