• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huh, thought they looked like they could be shell, but since other colors were clearly calf and were still $300 I was thrown off. Guess they're just marking up the calf to match the shell, eh?

95% of people on Gilt don't worry about whether it's shell or not

advan031

Reaction score

hmm... i just called the alden shop sf to ask if they had any sizing advice for the grant last. they recommended same size as barrie, (thus size down 1/2 from brannock). then i called the shoe mart and they recommended to go true to size unless you have a narrow foot. pretty much what i've been reading here, some tts some size down.
decisions, decisions

I bought a size 10 (same as my trubalance/modified size) in grant and it fits my foot like a glove. I like the fit but my 10 in trubalance/modified does have more wiggle room around the toe.

edit: I'll wait for my modest family pic until I receive my LWB color 8.

Last edited:

section31

Reaction score

Any experts able to weigh in on which last for the new plantation sole j crew chukka? Looks like Barrie but they don't say and haven't replied to my email. I live outside us so visiting a shop is not an option.

Not sure if you got a response from J Crew but they confirmed that it is the barrie last as wj4 stated.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huh, thought they looked like they could be shell, but since other colors were clearly calf and were still $300 I was thrown off. Guess they're just marking up the calf to match the shell, eh?

95% of people on Gilt don't worry about whether it's shell or not

I sorta wouldn't want to risk it. You could get burned and receive calf since they certainly don't state it's shell anywhere. And, there are no returns or anything...

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sorta wouldn't want to risk it. You could get burned and receive calf since they certainly don't state it's shell anywhere. And, there are no returns or anything...

Yeah I ordered a pair of selvedge for a very specific orange selvedge line. Got standard red line and they told me it was a batch variation and that they sent me the item as the description didn't mention it. Said I could return for the $15 fee.

And regarding the question I posted earlier - is there supposed to be a bit of plasticy sound from the cordovan rubbing on the lace and softer tongue area?

Last edited:

advan031

Reaction score

403, PTB in Modified, Leffot Day Tripper, J Gilbert Captoe, invisible LWB Color 8

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I bought a pair of shell's on gilt. The quality on those Florsheim's is atrocious, even at half off. The finishes are horrible.

finishing is horrible however its nothing some saphir cant fix. and its definitely a better value than Alden.

Last edited:

Simplicio

Reaction score

I had the Shoe Mart ship directly to B. Nelson, having already alerted Nick to look out for them. Once they got there, it did not take long for them to do the work. There was a little delay while waiting for a new shipment of Dainite soles from England, but that isn't really an issue with B. Nelson. I found that Nick was very helpful, and he seems to be fairly knowledgeable. And in the end the quality of the work appears to be excellent. They've done two re-soles for me now and I would be very likely to go back. I think that if you are investing in nice shoes you want to make sure that they are in capable hands.

BTW, you are in England? The Dainite soles come from England. You could not find a cobbler there to do the sole replacement?

Curious if you've considered having the work done by Shoe Healer.
Anyway, I like how they turned out.

Yes, there must be shops here in England that could do this. But I didn't already know of one that I could feel sure of. I wanted to use a place that had some experience with Aldens and what works with the Barrie last. Perhaps it is not that hard for a skilled cobbler to figure these things out, but there was a comfort factor with B. Nelson. I hadn't thought of The Shoe Healer, although that is a good suggestion. It might have made this process a little less complicated and risky for me.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These natural chromexcel longwings are looking great. Most of the worn in pics I saw previously of these were much too beat up

cloudshift

Reaction score
^ Thanks much guys! Been pretty much following the Mac Method on these, though I'm not sure it's necessarily recommended for Natural Chromexcel. I also did one application of Neatsfoot OIl when I got them (hoping to darken them up a bit). I like how they're turning out.

Also, you'll notice I left the word "Natty" out of the caption. :D

sellran

Reaction score

Enough already. THEY ARE SHELL. I bought the navy ones and love them. Never seen anything like this from Alden so grab them while you can at this ridiculous price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads