• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm the guy who received a pair of whiskey shell LWBs yesterday that were not only the wrong size (even though the box was correct), but had defects that, in my opinion, should disqualify them even from being sold as "seconds." I was pretty hard on Alden, and based on that pair, deservedly so. It's only fair that I report that my replacement whiskey shell LWBs arrived today, and they're as close to perfect as I've ever had in a pair of Aldens. I'm very happy.
If all Alden shells were made to the standard of my replacement pair, no one would be able to ding Alden for QC problems ever again. C'mon Alden, we know you *can* turn out a sublime pair of shoes. Please be more consistent in doing so.
My new, replacement whiskey LWBs:

-Erik

your replacement looks very good from the picture posted

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was thinking of picking up a pair of boots on the Leydon last.
My best fitting lasts are Aberdeen & Hampton.
Based on the chart it appears that both of these lasts are narrower than the Leydon. When I sent an inquiry over to Adam at AOC he advised that they Leydon maybe more narrow. Can anybody provide any insight/

From My experience the Leydon does fit more narrow. I wear a a 6E in both lasts and the Leydon is a bit snug.

fitchottie

Reaction score

Actually, here is my thing.... Where ever we buy them from should check the shoes before sending them out..... That would fix the issue. So many places do not do this. They get them from Alden then send them to us without ever looking at the shoes. If they looked prior to sending we would never know of the qaqc issue.... which we shouldn't... We pay almost double if not more than the cost to make.. Example... I called a REDWing store to inquire about some 8111, the guy thought I was another redwing store and said cost was 111.00 to get them I said okay here is my info, then I was asked for a store number, when I didn't have one he said coast was 285.00. Fruit for thought.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, here is my thing.... Where ever we buy them from should check the shoes before sending them out..... That would fix the issue. So many places do not do this. They get them from Alden then send them to us without ever looking at the shoes. If they looked prior to sending we would never know of the qaqc issue.... which we shouldn't... We pay almost double if not more than the cost to make.. Example... I called a REDWing store to inquire about some 8111, the guy thought I was another redwing store and said cost was 111.00 to get them I said okay here is my info, then I was asked for a store number, when I didn't have one he said coast was 285.00. Fruit for thought.

The problem is that the stores know.

I was at the Alden SF store looking at Ravello chukkas once. They pulled one out for me to look at. The shoe had an undyed spot on the toe the size of a dime. I mentioned to the salesman that in my opinion the shoe should be a second. He said "yeah maybe, but someone will buy it..." Sadly, he's correct.

fitchottie

Reaction score

The problem is that the stores know.
I was at the Alden SF store looking at Ravello chukkas once. They pulled one out for me to look at. The shoe had an undyed spot on the toe the size of a dime. I mentioned to the salesman that in my opinion the shoe should be a second. He said "yeah maybe, but someone will buy it..." Sadly, he's correct.

They might sell them at a discount and someone will think they are getting a deal, which is bullshit... Alden of SF should be more about customer service instead of, some one will buy it. I have never been to their store, so I cannot judge, but that attitude would be reason enough for me not to buy there.

Simplicio

Reaction score

Hey guys can anyone shed some light on the Aberdeen last?
I know people have said it's a narrow last with a large heel cup. Also people say that it runs true to size. Does everyone who wears these size up one width being it a narrow last?
ie. Barrie 11.5 D to Aberdeen 12 E?
I own shoes on the barrie, van, m58 and trubalance jut not sure of this last.

I wear a 9D Barrie and I find that the 9.5D Aberdeen fits me well. To me it does not feel narrow through most of the shoe, although the toe shape is different. I would suggest that you start by trying the Aberdeen 0.5 size larger than you Barrie size, keeping the same width.

I was thinking of picking up a pair of boots on the Leydon last.
My best fitting lasts are Aberdeen & Hampton.
Based on the chart it appears that both of these lasts are narrower than the Leydon. When I sent an inquiry over to Adam at AOC he advised that they Leydon maybe more narrow. Can anybody provide any insight/

I think the Leydon is definitely a narrower last. The Aberdeen and Hampton are comfortable for me in a standard width, but I can't find a way to make the Leydon work for me.

mtc2000

Reaction score

Assuming the retail price increase is around $20-$40. The wholesale price is probably in the range of 40~60% of retail, so the actual revenue increase at the factory is in the teen's. Down the food chain, not very much increase at the craftsman's level, I would think. Ain't the retailers benefit from the price hike most after all?

The retailers will have an increase of their profit margin proportionally, I suppose. The 8% does not all go to Middleborough. More like 4~5%, I think.

Exactly. All the previous complaints about price hikes and nobody seems to realize the retailers also benefit proportionally. The factory QC is important, but the retailers should also improve their own QA.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score

Sadly, it looks as though there still may be a missing perforation. Maybe Alden does it to see if anyone will actually ever notice other than the shoe geeks that frequent this thread.

mcbrown

Reaction score

Exactly. All the previous complaints about price hikes and nobody seems to realize the retailers also benefit proportionally. The factory QC is important, but the retailers should also improve their own QA.

I don't think it is feasible for the retailers to inspect every shoe that comes into their store. My father was a shoe salesman, and I spent a lot of time in his back room running stock and taking in shipments as a kid. Thinking back, I just can't imagine checking every incoming shoe in detail, even at 3x the price and (for the sake of argument) 1/3 the volume. It is far more efficient for retailers to deal with defects by replacing the defective product when a customer finds one. I have no objection to them choosing to operate in this fashion, as long as they stand behind the product, which as far as I know they generally do.

As someone suggested above, it is unfair for us to make statistical inferences about defect rates based on complaints on this board. We would need to observe the complete set of defect-free shoes that everyone here purchases as well, and of course we don't.

hermano

Reaction score
greetings,
would like to know if anyone would like to purchase these at cost before I post for sale anywhere. purchased through pre-order from LeatherSoul, brand new, never worn, in original box with shoe bags. $595, shipped in US.
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2011/09/12/alden-shoes-8-shortwing-for-style-forum-lsw-lsbh/#comments

Alden Shoes – #8 Shortwing for Style Forum (LSW & LSBH)
Posted by Tom

Our latest Alden model was designed for the members of Style Forum, particularly those who post and read the official Alden thread.

The combination of Horween color #8 shell cordovan and an antique edgetrim sounded like a great idea and now that we finally see it in the flesh, Style Forum was right.

A double waterlock leather sole and regular welt round out the details.

As most of our order was presold, stock is very short.

(Barrie last, $595.00)

please PM me if you would like.
best,
scott

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think it is feasible for the retailers to inspect every shoe that comes into their store. My father was a shoe salesman, and I spent a lot of time in his back room running stock and taking in shipments as a kid. Thinking back, I just can't imagine checking every incoming shoe in detail, even at 3x the price and (for the sake of argument) 1/3 the volume. It is far more efficient for retailers to deal with defects by replacing the defective product when a customer finds one. I have no objection to them choosing to operate in this fashion, as long as they stand behind the product, which as far as I know they generally do.
As someone suggested above, it is unfair for us to make statistical inferences about defect rates based on complaints on this board. We would need to observe the complete set of defect-free shoes that everyone here purchases as well, and of course we don't.

I don't know why this would be that hard. Obviously if someone is trying on the shoe, that should be a no brainer. As far as online and mailorder goes, If you can take someone's money without seeing them, it would literally take 30 sec to open the box and make sure there isn't any obvious defects. I'm not saying a 10 point inspection, but obvious blemishes should be easily handled.

unclesam099

Reaction score

Sadly, it looks as though there still may be a missing perforation. Maybe Alden does it to see if anyone will actually ever notice other than the shoe geeks that frequent this thread.

I'm wearing black shell LWB (Grant) today and they are missing the perforation on the right side of both shoes in the same spot. It's likely to position the pieces of the shoe during construction, not a QA/QC mistake. Who knows, it may have some other meaning to it altogether. Alden might have some more info about it if you call them and ask about it.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6 year old indy boot on honey vibram.

the indy boot is such a classic style, I wear it with jeans and to work no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads