• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Getting rid of a few things in the closet. I'm moving away from boots and want to unload my unworn 10D CXL wingtips...
http://www.styleforum.net/t/283346/nib-alden-cxl-wingtip-boots-10d#post_5118654
100_3609.jpg

so you are never wearing boots again? unless you live in the tropics how is that even possible?

Roggie Rog

Reaction score
Hey what's this I've been reading about the crepe sole being slippery in the rain? I expected it to actually have more traction. Also, what's that about Alden not putting a different sole on a pair of shoes, e.g., crepe sole to Commando sole?

REguy

Reaction score
^ If the weather is crappy (i.e. snowing), I don't like wearing 100% leather soled footwear. Also, I personally like oxfords over boots, but YMMV.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Hey what's this I've been reading about the crepe sole being slippery in the rain? I expected it to actually have more traction. Also, what's that about Alden not putting a different sole on a pair of shoes, e.g., crepe sole to Commando sole?

On a smooth wet surface like a garage floor, crepe is slippery but to be honest, it's no worse than a leather sole.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both those are true. My crepe soles are slick, and Alden appears to no longer be willing to resole to anything but stock.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a smooth wet surface like a garage floor, crepe is slippery but to be honest, it's no worse than a leather sole.

True, but leather isn't exactly the benchmark of wet weather practicality!

My feeling with Alden is go commando or go leather.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there that much difference between a Plaza Last and Grant Last? **** makes my head spin trying to pick the boot I want...

Roggie Rog

Reaction score
Regarding that hole in your boots, of the few pairs of Alden's that I've inspected, most have had those damned holes! I feel that its ridiculous. I have fallen in love with this brand, but I have a low tolerance for imperfections. I love that they're handmade in the USA, but I also feel that if you're charging over $600 for a pair of boots, then the standards have to be higher. That's a LOT of money for shoes!

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Regarding that hole in your boots, of the few pairs of Alden's that I've inspected, most have had those damned holes! I feel that its ridiculous. I have fallen in love with this brand, but I have a low tolerance for imperfections. I love that they're handmade in the USA, but I also feel that if you're charging over $600 for a pair of boots, then the standards have to be higher. That's a LOT of money for shoes!

not really a defect, just an artifact of the construction process. Those holes are from the nails used to tack the uppers to the last during the construction of the shoe. I'll be the first to admit that Alden has sloppy quality and finishing (still love em though) but I don't find that this falls into that category really as you can't get around the necessity for them.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New today, #8 plain toe boot, Truebalance last, commando sole. Sort of an Indy minus a some stitching. Quite happy with the the look and the prospect of using them in circumstances in which I wouldn't use leather soles.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not really a defect, just an artifact of the construction process. Those holes are from the nails used to tack the uppers to the last during the construction of the shoe. I'll be the first to admit that Alden has sloppy quality and finishing (still love em though) but I don't find that this falls into that category really as you can't get around the necessity for them.

I picked up two pairs that have no trace of the hole. It seems like something that can be either mitigated or avoided if one tries.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score

I picked up two pairs that have no trace of the hole. It seems like something that can be either mitigated or avoided if one tries.

The holes are there, they are just covered on the ones you looked at, as they are supposed to be, by the leather backing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads