• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dont have any barrie/tb/modified lasts alden but is that how you usually size down for them? You keep the width? Wouldn`t the width of the smaller size be slightly narrower? That`s why I thought you go up 1 width when sizing down
Ie. Plaza size 7C = Trubalance 6.5D

Yes, you would usually keep the width, especially with the wider lasts -- Barrie, TruBalance, and Modified. Those lasts offer plenty of volume, specifically the Trubalance and Barrie so it is not necessary to increase the width on the size down.

marroyo

Reaction score
Quote:
Yes, welcome (and it is a great shoe). But, candidly I'm a little concerned that you've been lurking for a few months and the only damage we've caused you to do is a pair of natural CXL PTBs.
Me too... I started lurking back in feb of 2011 and within a month I had cigar LWB and Ravello wt boots. Now 1 year latter my closet is full of shell (and some suede LWB). I've even sold some shell to fund more purchases.

Believe me... the damage has been done. I have just kept it under wraps. It all began with a pair of natural cxl indy boots from the Shoemart last year, then I purchased a pair of color 8 captoe boots (seconds) from the Shoemart, followed by the great deals at JCrew with a Snuff Suede Plain toe boot. Then I discovered Macs Treasures and purchased the Ravello Chukka he had up for sale (a thanks to Sazon as well). A couple of weeks ago I became the happy owner of a pair of whiskey shell LWBs from Alden Madison Ave and I am awaiting the arrival of a pair of snuff suede LWBs from JCrew sometime in Feb. Needless to say my closet needs some cigar but I will probably go on a buying hiatus until next fall. Oh yeah, I also emailed Steven at Leffot inquiring about the Whiskey Tanker he did recently wondering if there will be a restock for next fall. I will post an Alden family portrait when I get a chance.

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about!
And I'm betting that you've played with the idea of kopping a voodoo bone. Right?

I just ordered some Saphir Reno from A Suitable Wardrobe, shoulda got the bone too...

ThomSquared

Reaction score

That is correct; Whiskey wingtip boot on Plaza with a commando sole and antique edgetrim that I helped coordinate and put together. Mike and I discussed it last week and he mentioned that he will be putting up a preorder on his site in the next couple weeks. Keep your eyes peeled and be prepared to wait 9 - 12 months at minimum.

Dear God this thread is going to force me into considering bankruptcy... Those sound delicious. Those Epaulet makeups normally come in two's don't they? Care to share a few tidbits on the others? :stirpot:

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Yeah, I'd consider that dark suede version if it was still an option. The CXL Roy is tough to beat though...
100_1039.jpg

I decided to keep my pair, forgot how comfy they are. The brown is phenomenal! Think I might change the soles to something a bit less casual though , a coworker commented on how great they looked the other day

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also put leather laces on em, they are the ****

Pastor

Reaction score
Me too... I started lurking back in feb of 2011 and within a month I had cigar LWB and Ravello wt boots. Now 1 year latter my closet is full of shell (and some suede LWB). I've even sold some shell to fund more purchases.

That's what I'm talking about!

And I'm betting that you've played with the idea of kopping a voodoo bone. Right?

No voodoo bone yet but my shoe care kit is the size of a suitcase and was recently filled with Saphir products...

I keep saying I have to slow down but then I see something else I want. I currently have 5 pair of boots (4 are shell) and already I'm thinking about some LHS for the summer.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh yeah, I also emailed Steven at Leffot inquiring about the Whiskey Tanker he did recently wondering if there will be a restock for next fall.

Did you get confirmation if they plan to re-order?

Roggie Rog

Reaction score
I'd like to ask you guys what you think about these creases that are in the shaft of these color 8 NST/Tanker Boot from Citishoes. Since there were shoe trees in them during shipping, and the fact that Alden's boxes are really small for their boots, it appears as though these shaft creases formed during shipping, as they're only on one boot. Now, on the one hand, I was thinking to myself that creases as such may or may not naturally develop as they break in; but on the other hand, I have never owned cordovan boots and am not certain what to expect. Please take a look at these pics which I tried taking as clearly as possible. Please advise.Thanks!

HorseHide

Reaction score

Quote:

Believe me... the damage has been done.  I have just kept it under wraps.  It all began with a pair of natural cxl indy boots from the Shoemart last year, then I purchased a pair of color 8 captoe boots (seconds) from the Shoemart, followed by the great deals at JCrew with a Snuff Suede Plain toe boot.  Then I discovered Macs Treasures and purchased the Ravello Chukka he had up for sale (a thanks to Sazon as well).  A couple of weeks ago I became the happy owner of a pair of whiskey shell LWBs from Alden Madison Ave and I am awaiting the arrival of a pair of snuff suede LWBs from JCrew sometime in Feb.  Needless to say my closet needs some cigar but I will probably go on a buying hiatus until next fall.  Oh yeah, I also emailed Steven at Leffot inquiring about the Whiskey Tanker he did recently wondering if there will be a restock for next fall.  I will post an Alden family portrait when I get a chance. 

Quote:

I just ordered some Saphir Reno from A Suitable Wardrobe, shoulda got the bone too...

Our work here is done...Next.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alden Toe Cap Boot in #8 with a black wool flannel suit? y/n?

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, you would usually keep the width, especially with the wider lasts -- Barrie, TruBalance, and Modified. Those lasts offer plenty of volume, specifically the Trubalance and Barrie so it is not necessary to increase the width on the size down.

i see. thanks for the clarification. Sucks for me since it`s hard to find them in C widths esp. store exclusives

CharlesT44

Reaction score
I'd like to ask you guys what you think about these creases that are in the shaft of these color 8 NST/Tanker Boot from Citishoes. Since there were shoe trees in them during shipping, and the fact that Alden's boxes are really small for their boots, it appears as though these shaft creases formed during shipping, as they're only on one boot. Now, on the one hand, I was thinking to myself that creases as such may or may not naturally develop as they break in; but on the other hand, I have never owned cordovan boots and am not certain what to expect. Please take a look at these pics which I tried taking as clearly as possible. Please advise.Thanks!

Wouldn't worry, with wear they will naturally crease around your ankles.

Anyone have an idea on why the stitching on the #8 tanker is different that the whiskey? The back of the boot is double stitched and the side lacks a line of thread. Seemed weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads