• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roboterkampf

Reaction score
Yep!

My ultimate would be a Ravello Atom, or a Shortwing. Basically what mcarthur just posted above (sigh).

I'd also like to see Alden offer a two tone wingtip in Ravello or #4, and black.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Simplicio

Reaction score

It's not just you- it's the design of the LHS itself that is tight. The LHS have a very low vamp, which makes it unwearable for some. There are several threads at AAAC trad forum discussing this topic. Furthermore, the low vamp is more pronounced in the lined LHS than the unlined. I can say from personal experience that my lined ravello LHS feel much tighter vertically then my Brooks Brothers unlined LHS.

+1 I have tried everything to make the shell LHS work for me - they doesn't. I have a high instep and the Van doesn't accomodate it. I've tried to have shoes stretched, etc. Doesn't work for shell. I did grab a pair of the CXL that LS made up recently (and are available for pre-order currently). The CXL does stretch and they are quite comfortable.

The Van last can be very hard to fit. I've had success with the unlined Alden for BB shoes. Besides that, I haven't been able to get it to work. If you really want this style of shoe, consider the C&J Harvard. My pair is much more comfortable over my instep.

Hi Simplicio,
i made the same experience today by myself. Sizing down 1/2 from Barie did't help to avoid heel slipping. I accept the Van don't fit my feet unfortunately. Must try C&J - also a very nice loafer.
cheerio Joachim

A couple of things: 1) The Alden LHS appears to have heel slip at first - once they get broken in that goes away. 2) If you have any height to your instep stay away from it. As the others have said, it is a tought fit mean for a low instep. Believe it or not, Alden makes a high instep version of the LHS for the Japanese market- you cannot get it in the U.S. I would never buy a shell shoe wiht the idea that it will stretch to fit your needs. That is just going to end up a bad and painful experience.
PS. I just sold a pair of Alden shell LHS becuase I got sick of fighting the high instep battle.

I'm currently working on a new pair of Alden for BB LHS's (unlined). They are an 8.5E and I'm a 9.25E generally. Length is perfect, but my high instep is giving me a bit of grief. They are getting better with each wearing, however. It's a known issue - just Google Alden LHS tight or Alden LHS stretch and you will get a good number of threads on Ask Andy. The consensus seems to be that the shoes will eventually become wonderful - so we'll see.

Thanks to all who responded. I do indeed have a high instep, and that may well be the source of my fit problems with the LHS. In any case, I think that I will avoid the Van last for now. Although I really liked those cigar loafers. I'll just have to keep looking. Perhaps C&J is the way to go.

As I mentioned, the sales guy in NYC did give me a pitch about how I would have to endure a little discomfort at first, but that if I had faith and persevered, the shoes would in time become very comfortable. It was hard to challenge him, since he has much more experience than I do. But the shoes are too expensive to take that chance. This approach didn't seem right to me, and I didn't think that shell could stretch that much.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks to all who responded. I do indeed have a high instep, and that may well be the source of my fit problems with the LHS. In any case, I think that I will avoid the Van last for now. Although I really liked those cigar loafers. I'll just have to keep looking. Perhaps C&J is the way to go.
As I mentioned, the sales guy in NYC did give me a pitch about how I would have to endure a little discomfort at first, but that if I had faith and persevered, the shoes would in time become very comfortable. It was hard to challenge him, since he has much more experience than I do. But the shoes are too expensive to take that chance. This approach didn't seem right to me, and I didn't think that shell could stretch that much.

Consider the unlined BB version. It's much easier on the instep.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I just found out I'm the same size as macarthur. a fact that will probably cost me a lot of money.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate the fit of Alden chukka boots too! It makes the Barrie last fit so much worse than it usual does, and that's saying something.

thirdeded. at least the 2 eyelet chukka in Barrie. I'm pretty sure I had the right size on, it's just that it fit so loose around the ankle

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thirdeded. at least the 2 eyelet chukka in Barrie. I'm pretty sure I had the right size on, it's just that it fit so loose around the ankle

+4. I generally like the Barrie (have 2 boots and a #8 PTB) but never liked the fit of my #8 Chukkas so sold them on eBay.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score

I had Alden Restoration make up a pair for me - that was before I decided that I hate the fit of Alden chukka boots. SHAMELESS PLUG - And now they're available on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270890342371?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

I hate the fit of Alden chukka boots too! It makes the Barrie last fit so much worse than it usual does, and that's saying something.

Damn, you guys are making me re-think my decision now.
What's wrong with them if I can ask? Are they a sloppy fitting boot?
Was hoping to get a pair for the winter.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean plenty of people love them. just best to try them on first, or buy from somewhere witha good return policy.

to me they were just very sloppy fitting b/c you only have 2 eyelets, and they are kind of in no mans land, so I couldn't get my foot/ankle secure

East Tide

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help... I forgot to mention that I have a pair of cap toe balmorals and a long wing blucher I'm working with... not Aldens, but nice enough.

Are these dressy enough to wear with a suit but also suitable for jeans?

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...s-13750_ald_m_chukka_boot_shell_cordovan.html

I've never really been into chukkas but they are pretty deluxe.

What I would ideally like to find are a pair of these... http://www.arichinnerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2011-05-163.jpg
but can't seem to locate them.

Thanks!
Dave

1k2go

Reaction score
At the risk of starting a new thread, I figured I throw this hear first and get a concentrated opinion.

What is the recommended approach to getting rid of the scuffs and dimples on the leather of my Indys and Roys?

I have neatsfoot oil and mink oil, but every time I oil the boots the scuffing comes back within a day or so. It's almost like the leather finish is gone. I can't imagine that's the case with chromexcel though.

Thanks for the help.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn, you guys are making me re-think my decision now.
What's wrong with them if I can ask? Are they a sloppy fitting boot?
Was hoping to get a pair for the winter.

They are the epitome of a sloppy fitting shoe. It's not that I don't like the fit of chukkas in general either, my 3 eyelet Shell C&J chukka fits great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads