1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calikid

Calikid Well-Known Member

Those are sweet!

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,
    enjoy wearing your good looking ptb

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    #8 tassel
    argyles otc

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Awesome

5. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Well-Known Member

Just got a call from Alden DC. They received some Ravello LWB's in my size. I'm so happy I could cry.
    She mentioned that the color of this batch leaned to the darker side and that the pair I was getting leaned toward a color #4. Not sure what to expect but pretty excited.

6. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

You might want to call first to see if they carry it in the store. They say here that not everything on their website is carried in the store:

http://www.onthefly.com/contact-us#1ec

7. Mr.K

Mr.K Well-Known Member

Suede Loafers Today

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. zazaza

zazaza Well-Known Member

thanks for passing this info along. At one point you'd mentioned (at least I think it was you) that they had some blue suede (longwings?) in the pipeline. do you know if that's still happening?

9. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Well-Known Member

10. HorseHide

HorseHide Well-Known Member

Must ... fight ... urge .... to ... be ... self ... appointed ... grammarian (and spell checker) ... for ... the... thread (I mean, we already have Furo auditing us on our use of "lots", "tons", etc.)

And I wasn't going to respond but now someone quoted it so I have to ask - "poal"? Really?

11. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

Intentional misspelling; forum meme.

12. phototristan

I think because shell naturally has a lot of flaws and it would not be cost effective to search for enough large pieces to make a shoe where they couldn't cover up flaws with dye.

In this video, Art Tarlow of Alden explains that the lighter the shell cordovan, basically the rarer and more difficult to make:

Last edited: May 8, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  13. phototristan

The Ravello shortwings is one hot shoe. I think it's what's on the left here too:

14. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Well-Known Member

Welp, I think I should have sized down my Indy 403 from a 9D to a 8.5, but I've already worn them outside several times. If anyone wants to trade, or buy these let me know.

15. phototristan

You might try thicker socks, which is generally good for boots anyway.

16. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

anybody have any experience with these? I was thinking of getting a snuff suede chukka, but this caught my eye and I might be leaning towards getting this one instead.

[​IMG]

17. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Well-Known Member

After extensive trial and error with the barrie, I think I got it dialed in. Here are my ravello ptb's. Been waiting months for these to arrive. Much thanks to the fine folks at Alden San Francisco. Just arrived today and thought I would share some shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And sockless with and without flash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those who ask sizing questions, the bottom line is that you need to try the shoes on to know what works for you. I wear a size 8.5D in my indy boots (trubalance), and 8.5D on the Van Last, and these are size 7.5E on the barrie. For reference, I wear a size 9 in Nike, New Balance and Clarks. I wear a size 8.5D in Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. 8D on the barrie was too long and 7.5D was too narrow. These look and feel spot on, and they happen to be in my favorite shade of Alden shell.

18. closerlook

closerlook Well-Known Member

IF ANYONE, ANYONE, HAS THESE IN A 7.5D LET ME KNOW! I WILL PAY YOU MAD MONEYZZZ. NO JOKE.

19. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Well-Known Member

Yeah, thicker socks don't really help with the length, which is what feels a bit awkward and clunky.

20. Therendition

Therendition Well-Known Member

Yes, that was me. I'm not positive. I'm assuming so, though, because that's what most of the models were wearing in the Fall 2012 presentation looks, as seen here:

[​IMG]

Looks like navy suede longwings with a natural welt and micro sole. Too bad they're not a carbon copy of the Alden for Leffot navy suede longwings. Those things are beautiful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.