1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furo

furo Well-Known Member

It's not surprising at all if it revolves around known friends, co-workers, or sales associates (remember, they're paid to make small talk and giving you a compliment builds rapport in their book). What is surprising is random people in a city like NY stopping to give a compliment on shoes. I just don't see that as something common at all, regardless of the shoe in question. Getting a look is one thing, but someone actually going out of their way to say something is another.

But like I said, with the context you later added, it's not in the realm of unbelievable. One is an elevator where you're constrained with the person there, and anything can pop up as friendly chit chat, and the other a restaurant, where, okay that's still a bit odd to me but I can see it happening I guess.

edit: fixed spelling as per horse dude's request

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Dayman

Dayman Well-Known Member

I get that all the time with my shoes! Especially when i where my G&G or DC Lewis shoes. It gets interesting when im wearing my Vass and the look on some peoples faces when I say Budapest.

3. Renalan

Renalan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Gunboat Monday!

4. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Anyone know how much Alden charges just to have shoes re-dyed? Is this a service they provide?

5. xr4ti

xr4ti Well-Known Member

6. trig

trig Well-Known Member

7. HorseHide

HorseHide Well-Known Member

As long as it's in the realm of believable that's all that really matters, right?

BTW, "repoir" is not a word. I believe the word you are looking for is "rapport", but I could be wrong. Being a man of letters (that's what you call a guy with 4000+ posts, or is it something else?) I figured you'd want to know.

8. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Well-Known Member

Alden of Carmel seems to have your size in the ravello LWB. I have been lusting after these for some time, but alas, they don't have my size.

http://www.aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=46&ParentID=94&PageID=&Action=

9. Dayman

Dayman Well-Known Member

The only thing i have heard thats close is the re-craft service.

10. keithp3521

keithp3521 Well-Known Member

Got my first pair of color 8 LWBs today and I couldn't be more pleased. I've heard you guys say it many a time, but you ("you" meaning "I") really cannot appreciate the beauty of color 8 until you see it in person. Not a particularly good photo, but I haven't had a chance to go out into the sunlight today.

[​IMG]

11. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

I think the snuff suede PTB is more "smart casual" than the chukka. Another recommendation:

[​IMG]

tan suede medallion captoe from Ben Silver. Gnatty has a pair (I think it's him, anyway) and I :inlove: them

12. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Do any of you guys have shots of a whiskey monk in the wild? profile shot if possible :satisfied:

I know mac has the whiskey NST monk up here often...

13. furo

furo Well-Known Member

Well it's believable with the context yes. "Tons of compliments" stood out as rather odd, but when it turned out to be really two compliments of relevance, I get it.

And yes I meant rapport

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Really fantastic. Deets on denim? (Is that a pink inseam stitch I spy?)

15. chantheman

chantheman Well-Known Member

the light makes they look a little iridescent. cool

16. AML225

AML225 Well-Known Member

Anyone know of any places offering either cigar long wings or cordovan or chromexcel NST/tanker boots?

17. jkater1

jkater1 Well-Known Member

Probably going to catch some flack for this, but I think I'm going to send back the #4 wingtips. Got them today and are too similar to my ravello's.

18. dmash

dmash Well-Known Member

19. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Wow, you have a better memory than I do! Yes, I bought those a couple of years ago now. Great shoes.

20. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

I though the same, but take a good look.....the shades are quite different in natural light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.