1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfactor23

sfactor23 Well-Known Member

Looking good, Uncle!!

2. furo

furo Well-Known Member

Good to know. Guess I'll stick with my TTS and then wear thicker socks if needed... can get away with that since they're boots

3. 100 yrs

100 yrs Well-Known Member

I would say that this thread is that resource. If you go back through the last few pages there is a chart the REguy put together comparing most of the lasts. And then there's the useful FAQ borderline has put together. Search this thread for answers, they are most likely here. And if you have more, call one of the retailers, several have been most helpful on the phone to me in the past.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. Amused

Amused Active Member

1678 pages...I was bound to miss a few! Thanks for the pointers, I'll search for them now. Hopefully, what REguy has put together will answer my questions.

Thanks.

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I just copped the whiskey Indy... Kathy says they have the normal Indy rubber heel with the waterlock sole, should be interesting....

Also, I see Leffot posted its latest.
    [​IMG]

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Tassels has some nice suedes in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

^ oh that nice. Makes me want to run through a bed of daisies. Yay

Btw, contacted Alden about a recraft and they responded with the following (overnight too):

We no longer provide mailing bags for Restoration.  You may however, send your shoes to us here at the factory to be Restored:
    Alden Shoe Co
    1 Taunton St
    Middleboro MA 02346
    Please be sure to enclose your name, address, telephone, email in case we need to contact you, and payment information.
    The cost is $159 per pair, payable by check, MasterCard or VISA.
    Turnaround time is approximately 8 weeks.

This is contrary to what Alden of Carmel has. AoC writes that you request a shipment bag from Alden. They also state it take 6 weeks and costs $149. So basically you are paying an additional $25 (fee increase and cost of shipping to MA. Still a solid deal IMO, because its a complete recraft and not a resole.

Perhaps we can update OP with this info

8. furo

furo Well-Known Member

Good to know

But I think recrafting in general is a bit overrated. Aside from the resoling, you're really just paying for the new welt, iirc

Granted I don't know every detail that goes into a full recraft. Any treatment done to the uppers wouldn't be worth much if anything to me

9. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Well-Known Member

Color #8 PTB. Three months with the method and a little Reno. Sorry for crappy cell phone photo.

[​IMG]

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

You usually pay more for OEM parts/service.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

agreed, not much they can do to the leather that you cant do yourself. the real value/cost is done to the outsole, insole, cork, and welt. The boot in question is so beat down that the welt is cracked/dried everywhere, the commando outsole stitching has begun to fray and conequently the rubber needs to be glued back every 2 months. Insole is worn down and course, it feels like im walking on sandpaper. Plus the insole is dirty and dark from 3 years of wear. Everytime i put my foot in a boot, its like plopping them into a tub of goop. Plus, with a recraft, you get fresh, new cork for better foot comfort.

With resole, all you get is new outsole, and new welt stitching (not a new welt).

12. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

All depends on how thrashed the uppers are. I've seen Alden almost perform miracles:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...Experience&s=212a24d5774d22277a85b3ea90d3ee73

1 person likes this.
  13. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Well-Known Member

14. seer

seer Well-Known Member

Just beautiful....

15. rennavate

rennavate Well-Known Member

Oh fuck. That's aweesome. I'm tempted...

16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Double Waterlock soles, 270 degree/storm welt. :slayer:

17. HorseHide

HorseHide Well-Known Member

18. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Well-Known Member

Here we go...the new acquisition!

Do you guys don't think they're too redundant with my LavaDunks...? :stirpot:

[​IMG]

these are gonna make any get up pop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't wait to rock these with a nice blue or surplus green cotton suit, or jeans and a tee.

Question: how best to protect these bad boys? Obviously they are not going to be impervious to stains and I don't mind beating up suede but these could definitely benefit from some added precaution given their color.

Also...if someone has a good in for flat lace buying in other colors, let me know! these might get a swap...

1 person likes this.
  19. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Well-Known Member

Go for it! I hope my pics help....it was your #8 longwing with antique edge pic that forced me to pull the trigger on those...

20. Amused

Amused Active Member

Really dig this setup. I wasn't really feeling the cigar finish, but these bluchers look awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.