1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

So Shoemart posts a bunch of new Alden shoes on the website and not a single size is in stock on nearly each pair. Brilliant!

2. seer

seer Well-Known Member

No kidding! They listed some 6 eyelet ankle boots that I really liked but you can't get them!

3. MiniW

MiniW Well-Known Member

yeah those bootmaker editions usually start at size 8.5, bad for those with smaller feet :(, sometimes the very popular ones will be made in sizes smaller than 8.5, in which case if its something you are interested in you'd better jump on it because they usually only have one in stock of each size, good thing Shoemart has a good return policy

4. furo

furo Well-Known Member

+1, very frustrating that they put all these shoes up w/o a stock to buy

the cigar boots seem decent, especially for being on the Aberdeen, a nice touch that takes away a lot of the "grandpa" effect of a 6-eyelet boot

[​IMG]

Note the Aberdeen last in this pic ... and the heel, which, despite mediahound's objections is.... clearly NOT the M58 last

Also like this pic:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  5. closerlook

closerlook Well-Known Member

god, what I wouldn't give to get a pair of those.

6. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

Ew. The chukka is bad enough, but they had to add the NST, which is probably the worst look ever on a shoe. Together, it's like a spoonful of urine covered feces. YMMV.

I wonder if they're on the barrie last?

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Your face is on the Barrie last

8. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

What is a good place in Chicago to pick up Alden in term of selection and stock level?

9. closerlook

closerlook Well-Known Member

fail.

10. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

Looks like Barrier last to me.

11. lummers13

lummers13 Well-Known Member

The only place I know of is Haberdash EDC on State and Ohio. From what I remember there were more of the 'staple' choices, like a color 8 LWB, unlined chukkas, Indy boots etc. I hear that their special make-ups are gonna be around in the fall. But it's at least a place where you can try some of them on to get a feel for the lasts and such. Tell them Chris L said sent you and look for Zach (assistant manager) or Phil (store manager).

Monday's pics day for Aldens, so let's get them up! Coincidentally, here's Zach rocking some 405s

[​IMG]

Off of http://chicago.racked.com/archives/2012/02/06/zach-on-state-at-ohio.php

12. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

:crackup:

13. HorseHide

HorseHide Well-Known Member

Directions to the best place to pickup Aldens in Chicago? Go to O'Hare (seriously, Alden on either coast, Leffot and Leather Soul). If you are looking for shoes to try for sizing, try Hanig's in the John Hancock Ctr (not great selection but they'll have a few different lasts) or Isle of Man on Lincoln (better selection, fun store in Lincoln Square). I've never heard of Haberdash EDC but if "Zach" gets his clothes there it's probably ok.

14. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I'm asian, so it's more flat and wide. I'd say it's more of a Truebalance than a Barrie.

2 people like this.
  15. lummers13

lummers13 Well-Known Member

lol yeah Chicago's definitely not THE spot to go to pick up Alden's let alone special make-ups. Unionmade Goods would also be a good spot for variety.

I forgot about Isle of Man and Hanig's, thanks HorseHide.

Zach (pictured) is the assistant manager there so he'd obviously be rocking what they sell.

But honestly, if I'm spending $450-600+ on some shoes, paying $10 on shipping shoes back that didn't fit quite right doesn't seem too bad. Sure it might add up if you're sending 10 pairs back, but this forum's been a great help with sizing. I started out with the barrie last and can navigate the other lasts (Grant, Trubalance, Leydon come to mind) pretty well thanks to the size chart and people's personal experiences here.

16. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

:slayer::fistbump: love the sense of humor! thats what we need more of on here. Some people get their balls in a knot too quickly.

being part Scott and part Brit livin in the great white north i have more of the trusquare face goin on... :hide:

1 person likes this.
  17. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Well-Known Member

Would you be whiskey, ravello, or cigar. Us Filipinos can get close to cigar in the summer time....[​IMG]

18. brokeassp

brokeassp Well-Known Member

I`ll check out haberdash. I`ve been wanting to try out the indy`s in person

19. advan031

advan031 Well-Known Member

Nose is definitely truebalance though...haha

20. burningbright

burningbright Well-Known Member

They'll probably have the 405's or 403's but don't expect any shell. Haberdash carries brands like Grenson, Red Wing and Wolverine and very few Aldens. They've been talking up getting a #8 captoe boot with commando sole for over a year now and still nothing (I went through J. Crew cuz I got tired of waiting).

Not to bash them too badly, but I don't think the owner has any clue how to run a successful men's shop in the 21st century (I mean it's been over 4 years and still no online store), which is sad because all the guys that work there are cool. They had a great guy who did their buying for them who was from the NYC scene and knew what he was doing, but too many differences of opinion between him and the owner caused him to leave.

Anyway, I'd call ahead and see what they have in terms of sizing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.