1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgonsh

dgonsh Well-Known Member

Speaking of boot creams...

Ive been looking to pick up the Alden Boot Cream in Neutral for my Chromexcel Indy's. Unfortunately, no one in Toronto sells it and anyone in the US that sells it either won't ship to me or it will cost me twice what the creams costs ($9.00) to ship.

Ive been doing some SF research but havent found too much insight, and I know it's a noob question, but is their any good boot cream that will not darken my Indy's in the same quality and realm as the Alden branded Boot Cream?

I really dont wanna darken these guys.

2. zazaza

zazaza Well-Known Member

I know they make the calf tassel loafers, not sure what else

3. fitchottie

fitchottie Well-Known Member

I would recommend Venetian Creme.... you can get it from foresupplyco.com... The big 32oz for $18.00 plus shipping... I put this on all my shoes with no Ill effect so far. Looks awesome on the 403 and even the 405, 401.... Plus Cordovan and Calf.

4. dgonsh

dgonsh Well-Known Member

Thanks! Unfortunately, it's an additional $28 for the cheapest shipping option to canada! i cant justify paying 200% shipping.

5. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

to be fair, $28 is probably close to the actual cost of shipping to Canada. it's a big heavy jug + international.

would you feel better if it was $46 with FREE SHIPPING?

6. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

Correction: Leather hides have irregularities.

7. dgonsh

dgonsh Well-Known Member

I might feel better [​IMG]

anyway, i dont need a massive jug of the stuff really. so i contacted oak street bootmakers and they were really nice and offered to get me a quote for a more economical way of shipping. their standard was $25 for a $5 bottle. They said they can probably do a 4 or $5 dollar option. that would be great :)

8. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

I believe all the BB cordovans are Aldens. I'm not sure about their non cordovans though.

I would say they are certainly equivalent and in some ways could be better.

They are on a slightly different last which I really dig and the welt is a bit more sleek.

See:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/23040_80#post_5184332

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  9. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

COLDSNAP: They might be too small for you. you might have to go up a width.

Btw, i actually think the barrie last looks kinda nice, especially if you have a standard 270 degree welt.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I think I might just roll with the 7.5, after talking to the guy at Alden DC my option was wait 8-9 months for the next order (since someone already claimed a 7.5 E on the current order) or go with a size 8. It's not terribly tight, just sorta snug only at the widest part of my feet (around the ball of my big toe).

11. jt2gt

jt2gt Well-Known Member

What boots are they...I am between 8 and 7.5 in barrie last. I tend to go down to 7.5 in shell cordo shoes (my #8 chukkas are 7.5), but fit 8 in calf. My chukkas in 7.5 shell felt tight in the same place but after a couple wears they fell right on the money.

FYI...I tried on a barrie LWB in shell #8 and they were huge, larger then many of my size 9 shoes from other makers. But my other calf Barrie last shoes fit fine. So never know until you try on.

JT

12. Coldsnap

They are cap toe boots with grant last. Good to hear about the shell giving a bit, I think it should fit nice after a few wears then. :slayer:

13. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

I dont think it's the shell that actually gives. I think after a few wears your foot starts to 'bed' into the cork midsole thus making the shoe feel roomier...imo.

Or invest in good quality thin socks...this makes a world of difference if a shoe feels a bit tight or loose. One i get my size on nailed as best possible on a particular last, I fine tune with my socks...

14. seer

seer Well-Known Member

15. Edgein

Edgein Well-Known Member

Fleabay alert! There is a guy selling Alden's who calls the color of a shoe "Cordovan", When I sent a message to him asking what the color actually was, he called me stupid and removed my bid. Good thing, I wouldn't buy anything from such an individual(being charitable).

16. Coldsnap

True, I wear uniqlo dress socks and they are pretty thin.

17. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

Sounds like the same link that was posted above a bit.

They are not cordovan leather whatsoever. At first he was calling them 'shell cordovan' but I see he has edited it. The listing is still all sorts of wrong though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...9&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_500wt_1382

18. Edgein

Edgein Well-Known Member

Actually, these may well be Aldens. Not the link above, but loafers. The shoes seem ok, just the seller...I'd rather not say.

Where would you all recommend purchasing Alden penny loafers, not the full strap, in cordovan? I live in Seattle. Thanks

19. velomane

velomane Well-Known Member

If you are in Winnipeg, then I'll split the cost with you.

Mike

20. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

I disagree - a head's up on Aldens for sale is a good thing, imo. The damn B/S since the forum changed is awash in shite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.