1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dranguschu

dranguschu Active Member

My Alden Whiskey squad [​IMG]

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Quote:I'm guessing that there are lots of reasons they're not doing that, and protecting retailer makeups isn't one of them (or at least not a major one). As Alden has grown in popularity and sold more shoes, the number of owners coming to them has likely increased over the years. This means they are faced with being a custom cobbler for a huge number of people and bearing all the complexity and responsibility that entails. Instead, they're following the KISS model and signing up for something they can reliably achieve. That allows great shops like BNelson and others to do the kind of work they want to do. When it comes down to things like this, trying to please everybody risks pleasing almost nobody. While I'd love to think they would swap my neocork Indys to commmando when it come time to resole, I do kinda get why they have to draw a line somewhere when there are good independent-shops to fill the need as well or better than they would. My $0.02.

2 people like this.
  3. HenryIII

HenryIII Well-Known Member

Snuff LWBs

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

Well framed.. Golf Clap...

5. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Looking good. Then LWBs look like they want to get out!

-Mike

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Agree, sole changes lead to edge dressing choices which leads to welt stitching color. Can you imagine us goobers crying about shades of antique edge dressing we get....lol

7. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Yep lol

8. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Well-Known Member

So I thought that staying off this thread would keep me out of the Alden game. I thought wrong. First pair of Alden Suede - Unlined Snuff Suede Chukka on the Leydon Last. Very happy with them. First post of 2016:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    3 people like this.
  9. JasonV

JasonV Well-Known Member

How did you find the sizing vs your other Alden lasts? I've read the 1/2 size up and got them but they still feel quite narrow vs Trubalance/Barrie.

10. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Well-Known Member

TB = 10.5D
    Barrie =11C
    Leydon = 11.5C

I went a 1/2 size up from Barrie and I agree they have less room (compared to 11C Shell LWB).

Hard to compare apples to apples when you deal with different models and different leathers.

Feel like suede should expand a bit, especially since they are unlined.

11. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I went from 7.5D Barrie to an 8E Leydon and it is the perfect fit. I actually find the Leydon last to fit my foot very well, maybe that's the comfy unlined suede of my chukka talking though.

12. shunted22

shunted22 Well-Known Member

Idk, AE let's you change welt and sole, I'd guess they do a lot more volume too.

13. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

Recently kopped some Alden 990's and took them to my local cobbler for the ol' bl@ster treatment (more neutral edge and brass eyes).

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    10 people like this.
  14. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

@Bl@ster - those look great. Nice personalization!

15. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Agree, looking superb!

16. zr0e

zr0e Well-Known Member

Hi, Figured I'd poke my head in here and answer a couple of questions. It is my auction, I am not the devil, I may end up in hell. I do plan to reproduce one day (thank you for your concern.) I am also the original owner of these boots. I bought them along with the Ravello version from TSM when they were on the website for about 5 seconds whenever it was, I wore the Ravello and never touched the #4s. They remained in my closet. Eventually they became "too valuable" for me to wear given that I have so many pairs in my rotation, including another pair of #4. I decided to sell them. I hope I can raise a fair bit when they eventually do sell, mostly just to pay for other boots and shoes. I don't think any of you would really do anything differently. Needless to say I don't want to cause any damage to this thread and if any of you would like to discuss the boots or see more pictures or whatever, please feel free to message me privately. I wish you all a good day and a good week.
    I have purchased a couple of Aldens from this seller and had a very good experience......both times the shoes were fairly priced and were exactly as described.

I had discussed a few pairs with him before in the past and usually was pretty fair. Some of his other listings are a bit out there too like the DC cigar captoes. I know we wear the same size and sure your probably interested as well. I submitted a reasonable offer and was declined so we'll see what they sell for or how long they sit. If someone pays 10g's, more power to them. I'm just wondering what rock he found these under. Or was the original owner and just sat on them, which is easy to do. I'm guilty too. The seller used to post classifieds on here as well under the same name but not sure how active he is in this thread anymore.[/quote]

17. Matty123

Matty123 Well-Known Member

[/quote] I don't care man. I just like saying things I think will get a laugh. You're no different than any of us and given the opportunity. who knows how I would sell those beauties. Good Luck bud.

18. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

I have purchased a couple of Aldens from this seller and had a very good experience......both times the shoes were fairly priced and were exactly as described.

I had discussed a few pairs with him before in the past and usually was pretty fair. Some of his other listings are a bit out there too like the DC cigar captoes. I know we wear the same size and sure your probably interested as well. I submitted a reasonable offer and was declined so we'll see what they sell for or how long they sit. If someone pays 10g's, more power to them.

I'm just wondering what rock he found these under. Or was the original owner and just sat on them, which is easy to do. I'm guilty too.

The seller used to post classifieds on here as well under the same name but not sure how active he is in this thread anymore.[/quote]

19. RobinM

RobinM Well-Known Member

The gentleman with the $10k #4 listing should revise the auction description.
    Any customer who would seriously consider such purchase doesn't really need to be remined a million times how rare these shoes are. I assume the seller wants to sell the shoes to someone who appreciates the boots rather than just some sucker.

20. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

zr0e,
    Thanks for sharing your story.
    I can't imagine having those boots for years and not wearing them. Ravello from that era would scratch that itch, but that's some serious self control. For me, it would be like buying a fresh roll from Cinnabon and not eating it. That's a good analogy because Alden #4 is exactly like Cinnabon, look it up.

Best of luck with your boots.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.