1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangeJeremy

StrangeJeremy Well-Known Member

I asked Alden about both of those leathers, and got the below as a response which doesn't answer your question specifically:

Quote:

They're both behaving much like chrome-tanned leathers, based on what I've sold so far.

2. StrangeJeremy

StrangeJeremy Well-Known Member

Glad you love them. Grained leather is a new concept to many of my in-store customers, but people are digging it.

We named them "The Hornet" in reference to the USS Hornet docked just down the way from us - which is an aircraft carrier, but we don't have any prominent gunboats around here to name them after.

3. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

I am not sure if it was here or the EG thread, but someone posted a source for some really fantastic priced Saphir products.
    Any knowledge?

4. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Well-Known Member

So brave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

6. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    OK, I need some color advice from some of the guys here who are blue shoe and chromexcel crazy. I am looking at a pair of Aldens that are seen below. Light blue chromexcel and I am having a difficult time imagining what slacks they would go with. I typically wear a golden brown, charcoal or navy blue to work. I personally do not see them working well with any of those. All I can imagine are blue jeans or khaki slacks. Am I right, wrong, or both? Make some suggestions or, if possible, show some pictures of similarly colored shoes with different slacks that would really work. Any advice?

Second, having never worn chromexcel before, I am at a loss on shoe care when they eventually get scuffed. Polish? Just brushing? Leather lotion only? VSC? The mind reels.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. M635Guy

Quote: I covet those shoes... Personally, I'd wear them with just about anything not navy blue and dark gray/black. Any brown tones are going to be awesome. Jeans will be great. Khakis will be great.

8. KPDarb

KPDarb Well-Known Member

Regarding care, I would get some saphir renovateur and not look back. A bit of reno every couple months along with regular brushing will have these looking stellar. I really love the matte cxl with the natural welt. Great choice!

9. M635Guy

My buddy has a pair of the blue CXL shoes, and there is a blue Saphir cream he's put on deeper scuffs that matches well. CXL is going to show use and patina, and that's OK as long as you're ready for it.

10. JETTASY

JETTASY Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Today is Whiskey PTB.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. KPDarb

KPDarb Well-Known Member

Scratched the toe on my new Indy boots. Im not one to baby shoes but it was 15 minutes into their maiden voyage. Luckily, shell is magical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. djbanor

djbanor Well-Known Member

A recent acquisition and my first contribution to Whiskey Wednesday. It's a little rainy here, or they would be on my feet. (Pictures were taken last week.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very happy with how these came out.

8 people like this.
  13. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^ Perfection.

1 person likes this.
  14. Tichoblanco

Tichoblanco Active Member

Maiden voyage of the snuff suede wingtip boots I picked up from the eminent @mdubs. He even shipped them in what I imagine was the original box from Leathersoul.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  15. bkbiker

bkbiker Member

Hi All, I think this is my first post on this site. I recently bought a pair of shell #8 Alden longwings with antique sole edge, but I've changed my mind and want to the black edge. Can I change this myself using the black Allen edmunds edge polish mentioned on this thread? Or if anyone has a new pair with black sole they want to trade. Mine are size 12 and have only been worn in my living room so far (no creases, though hard wood floor so some scuffing on bottom). Thanks!

16. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Changing the edge color is something you can do, or it can be done cheaply by a local cobbler. Some will use a light sandpaper to go over the old edge color and then apply to the AE edge color you mentioned. But before you change anything, you need to consider the color of the welt used on the shoe. The edge dressing is just for the edge of the sole and it will not change the color of the welt used. Black edge shoes usually also have a black welt. Antique edge shoes usually do not have a black welt, as seen in the picture below. If yours are not black, you may wish to hold off on any changes yourself and have them looked at by a cobbler. Better to carefully consider what the change will and will not do, before acting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

Did the shoe mart recently do a run of 9905s in whiskey?

18. djbanor

djbanor Well-Known Member

They were taking pre-orders for it in the summer. I quite foolishly didn't get in on that run.

19. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

Wow those look great! I would love a pair. Did you get these from Harrison's?

1 person likes this.
  20. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Check your local Marshalls, got confirmed sightings of 990s and 975s for $299. These are from a poster in Texas, spotted on another forum I frequent.

Stack with some gift cards via Raise for added discount. https://www.raise.com/buy-marshalls-gift-cards

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.