1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

My feet must be funny but the short answer to your question is yes, 8.5D Barrie and I tried 8.5E plaza and it was too wide. I have also gone the more conventional route and sized up to a 9D. Shoes were too big and I moved them. I grabbed the FB Dr. Jones boots in a 9D and they work with a thick sock. I am comvinved that for me, plaza and Barrie are the same. Preorder in May will finally confirm.

Alden sizing is tough if you live in a city where trying on multiple lasts is not an option.

1 person likes this.
  2. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

These are my other tankers. Same NST handswen Vamp but done on Trubalance hence the extra side stitching around the waist of the boot, similar to an Indy boot. Double leather soles instead of Commando on my Barrie Tanker. Similar but different NST Tankers, both 8 with Antique. I love the NST design as it breathes very will for my climate. Commando is for wet and Eastern Travel in inclemit weather. I like the look of both with a slight edge to the Barrie Tanker. My only Trubalance boot, very comfortable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wide ribbed BB All Cotton Yellow Socks. Love these..:nodding:

2 people like this.
  3. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

Curious, is Whiskey PTB considered a "grail"? I like the look for my Sonoran desert area. Light color bodes well with lighter trousers and I think they look cool with jeans as well. Makes me wonder what the going price in the aftermarket for BINB 9D would be... Some one had some seconds (FD-9905) the other day for $920 size 7D.

Enjoy the games today, my guys don't look so good this year...

4. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Well-Known Member

"Grails" are personal, are they not?

Whiskey shell is rarer than Cigar and Ravello just because the lighter the shell, the fewer blemishes there can be. And that's even more true with the PTB makeup.

The Whiskey PTB was definitely one of my grails as it's incredibly versatile. I'm very fortunate to own a pair.

5. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

I think whiskey is a great winter color - assuming you like contrast with your pants. Against navy and grey pants whiskey shell has a beautiful pop. If you like that short of thing

6. shoetree

shoetree Well-Known Member

There was a GMTO for a Crockett & Jones whiskey PTB around a month ago. If you're unable to find one from Alden, you may find someone who sized incorrectly from the CJ order looking to unload a pair.

7. bkdc

bkdc Well-Known Member

I wear a 7.5E in Barrie shoes, 8E in Barrie boots, and 8E in Plaza boots.

The Plaza fits WIDER than the Barrie where it counts which is where my pinky toe gets pinched despite the slimmer profile toward the tip. This is the place I typically have trouble with fit. The Hampton and Plaza at 8E give me plenty of room at my pinky toe. All other lasts (except Aberdeen which I cannot fit in) feel a little snug but are not painful.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. tunadubby

tunadubby Member

Dear Experts,

I have benefited greatly from your contributions on the forum. A big thank you to all! I have just ordered my first pair of nice shoes - Alden NST Shell Color 8 Tanker Boot in Barrie Last, Antique Welt, and Commando Sole. They are from TSM, factory seconds. Can't wait for them to arrive - and will certainly share pics once they do.

I currently have a horsehair brush, a cedar shoe tree, some cloths. I believe that's the essentials for daily care. However, I would like your advice on the following two items: Alden Leather Defender and Deer Bone

- I am in the midwest and will be wearing these boots in the snow. Would the leather defender be critical for me, or is Shell Cordovan water resistant enough for snow?

- Are there alternatives to the Deer Bones offered at Leffot? Would good old fashioned color 8 paste wax offered by Alden do the same job?

Thanks so much, in advance, for your advice. And I this belongs to a different thread, I apologize.

Peter

9. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

Personally I think the word grail is over used. I think a whiskey PTB could be a grail for someone, but often they just mean it's a shoe they really want. A grail should be unattainable, so rare that you couldn't reasonably expect to get them. it should require a hunt and be unachievable even through a MTO.

2 people like this.
  10. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

Color 2 Indy. If you choose wrong, the flesh melts from your bones.

11. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Where can one acquire a BNIB whiskey PTB?? I think this qualifies as unattainable...

12. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

They aren't easy but Alden of D.C. and Alden of SF get them and can put you on lists. You can also buy from some of the Asian flippers (stinks but they are attainable that way at least). It's not like a pair of color #2 Indy boots or whiskey plain toe boots on Trubalance. And it's easily acquired via MTO from other makers like Carmina. I'm just saying If a whiskey PTB is what you want, it's not unattainable.

13. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Those look superb. I am jealous that you get them soo quickly!!!

I am also a huge fan of the Aberdeen and Plaza NST because it has the longer toe stitch as well.

Looking good in your classic 1339.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I thought that I had seen you with 3 or 4 different pairs and talking about more. But I follow where you are at now and logic makes sense.

-Mike

14. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Of the rare shell (excluding #2), I think Ravello or Cigar are harder to obtain that Whiskey. IMO it's just too flashy/orangy. I would put Whiskey at 3 after ravello and cigar in terms of difficulty to obtain.

15. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

On the topic of a grail, I think it should be a function of personal desirability and ability to acquire. Therefor, a grail is defined on a personal basis.

In terms of difficulty to obtain colors, Cigar *should* be the easiest to obtain as it does not require the highly clear shells that Whiskey and Ravello require. Whiskey and Ravello are equally difficult to produce supposedly because they both require the clear shells. Difficulty to obtain is also a function of time, as Alden received a batch of Whiskey and Cigar in 2016, thus it will be perceived as easier to obtain right now. Alden only very recently got a batch (of unknown size) of Ravello, and since not many runs have been confirmed (yet begun shipping), it will be perceived as much more difficult to obtain right now.

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  16. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Friday. Alden Chocolate Suede Tankers. Brown Argyles. Brooks Bros Khaki Chords.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

2 people like this.
  17. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Saturday. Alden Natural Chromexcel Longwing Bluchers. CHUP Purple Socks. Bill's Khakis Tan Chords.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

2 people like this.
  18. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Leisure Sunday. Alden Whiskey Shell Cordovan LHS. American Trench Camel Pure Cashmere Socks OTC. Epaulet Lightweight Khaki Twill Walt Trousers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sadly, a Sunday in the office, but at least the Whiskey LHSes bring me a smile and... holy cow, those Cashmere socks are a stinking dream to wear.

-Mike

19. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I've owned a lot of "grails." I never wore them as much as I wore models like my tan suede LWB, color 8 balmoral, black captoe boots, tan calfskin medallion captoes, color 8 LHS, etc. True grails are models you get a lot of use out of and personal satisfaction wearing. They could be rare Cordovan or could be more available models.

20. Wesley Crusher

Wesley Crusher Well-Known Member

You could do a MTO through C&J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.