1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metranger8694

metranger8694 Well-Known Member

Wow. That's a hell of a statement. As a qualifier, does it matter if Barrie or Trubalance?

Is Chipshot's boots on Barrie?

2. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Barrie. And yes chippy's are on Barrie.

3. metranger8694

Ah, thanks.

I have a # 8 shell medallioned blucher on Barrie and a Navy Chamois tanker on Trubalance.

My impression is that the Trubalance last is one of the best casual boot lasts out there.

Do you believe that shell is too "dressy" to be on a casual last like the T.B.?

Cheers!

4. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

this is on Aberdeen, although it is an E width.

1 person likes this.
  5. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Nah. I have Cigar Indy boots on trubalance and love them. Not too dressy at all.

1 person likes this.
  6. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

7. metranger8694

Might your flavor be Trubalance?

But they're not your fave. Which is a #8 shell NST commando on a Barrie( which technically isn't a Tanker, right?) Tankers are on Trubalance.

8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Looking good, I figured it was Ravello for some reason, although Whiskey was a close second.

Dang, that looks cold!

Very nice, especially with the selvedge.

The PTBs are looking stellar! Glad that you got the ones that you wanted and even sweeter at a deal!

Great set of CXLs right there!!!

Very nice looking pair right there. I am a little confused though with what pair of Color #8 Tankers you own (or should it be don't own)?

They used to keep the original heel pads, but have been switching them over to generic Alden ones for the past several years. I have about 8 pairs that I have now or have gotten from the TSM seconds and only the very first pair came with the original pad. The rest were switched out.

Yeah, that isn't really the norm anymore...

Those look great Brandon. I agree with you that they *could* be 2015 Ravello, especially considering the sunset lighting. However, I am about 99% certain that no one made a Ravello Chukka in 2015 with Antique Edges.

-Mike

9. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Duplicate.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  10. TommyB

TommyB Well-Known Member

Great looking Tankers, chipshot! Did you get rid of the TruBalance ones?

I need to get me a pair of #8 NST boots, not sure if I'll go the Barrie or the Aberdeen route.

11. rick

rick Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of talk about Alden customer service and with good reason. I will share a good one. I have a pair of shell color 8 shoes that the welt was coming apart on the side of the shoe I figured I have worn them for a long time and said I will send them for restoration. I got a call from Alden and was told this should not happen and was told the it will be free of charge. I got the shoes back yesterday after about 6 weeks and they look great. I did not take a before photo sorry. Anyhow thought I would share.

5 people like this.
  12. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Tanker is not a technical term. The original tanker was designed by Lakota House on the 379X last. Most people consider tankers to be Barrie, Trubalance, or 379X NST boots. It's just a nickname for the design. On Aberdeen people tend to call it an NST Boot and the same with Plaza. There is nothing official about the naming.

13. Watchman1

Watchman1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike.

Yes, after a little more research last night I concluded that they were probably made around 2012.

Although, there is nothing in the model numbers that would make me think so.

I think we all would have better luck winning the lottery than trying to make out what Alden's numbering system means.

Thanks.

14. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Post a picture of the codes on the inner lining of the shoe?

15. Watchman1

[​IMG]

16. Watchman1

@JSO1

Yes Sir, I will get you those numbers shortly.

Thanks.

17. metranger8694

Thanks for the clarification!

18. AndersonJamesRR

AndersonJamesRR Active Member

Got the Lost&Found Earth Indy's in as well as the #8 Shell Tankers from Epaulet. Both are beautiful. After thinking I would like having all eyelets, I am not sure how I feel about no hooks.

Was wondering if anyone had advice (or could point me where to look) on care for Reverse Chamois? I realize it's low maintenance, but should I brush it, wax it (Huberd's), oil it, etc.? Any insight is appreciated.

19. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

You can occasionally brush it with a suede brush if you like but it needs no real care. Every few years you could consider oil if it seems dry. I've been beating up a reverse chamois pair of boots for 2-3 years and no oil is remotely needed -- I just brush lightly every so often when it occurs to me.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

How much room does everyone expect in the toe of an Indy boot? Does this seem excessive? This is the same length I take in Barrie and Van.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.