1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

The Shoe Mart just made one on trubalance very recently. You could contact them and see if you can get on a list for a future run.

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Cigar is never stocked, and rarely made. Some were just released from ShoeMart, but mainly you need to get on a list and be prepared to wait...

3. MT1982

MT1982 Well-Known Member

The Shoe Mart just got a run of Cigar Indy's a few weeks back. Not sure if they regularly order that one or what, but you may contact them and see if you can get put on a waiting list of some sort.

4. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new boots and their maiden voyage. May you were them only in the best of health.

Your Snuff WT Boots are looking superb Henry. Enjoy them at the tire playground!

Congratulations on your new Cigar Indy's. I hope that you enjoy them in good health as well!

Staying classy today cool in your lovely Brooks Bros Color 8 Tassel Loafers.

Your Cigar Indy Boots are looking good my friend. They are still looking good.

Congratulations on your new Whiskey Chukka Boots. Enjoy them!

Your JCrew PCTs are looking mighty nice sir! Great shine on them!

Your Whiskey Shell LWBs are looking mighty nice, enjoy them! Best of luck sizing up!

Great looking Choco Suedes bud. Looking good as always!

Kendall doesn't help me either! Wonder when they were made.

Looking great as always Repp! Always nice to see your shoes!

It is very easy to see why that is such a popular makeup.

Those are lovely looking DV! Very cool throwback Commandos!

-Mike

5. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Monday. Alden Black Shell Cordovan Tassel Loafer. Pantherella Navy Socks. Epaulet Navy Lambswool Flannel Walt Trousers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

2 people like this.
  6. fishstix

fishstix Active Member

I'm looking to get my first pair of shell cordovan and I was looking at the Indy boot. I'm debating between the Trubalance and Plaza last Indy boot. I am a size 8D in my Alden 403 boots, 8D in my Red Wing Beckmans, 7UK in my Crockett & Jones Islay and Coniston boots. I don't own any Aldens in the Plaza last. I am confident of my Alden Trubalance size, being an 8D. Should I go for the Trubalance Indy in shell cordovan? Or the Plaza Indy in shell cordovan. If I go with the Plaza Indy, what size should I get? Thank you!

7. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

8.5D in Plaza for you.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

9. TommyB

TommyB Well-Known Member

I like the Plaza "Indy" but it's really just a matter of personal taste. I take 9D in Barrie and 9.5D in Plaza, so based on that I would recommend 8.5D. On the other hand I would recommend going up one size from your C&J size, which means size 8D (or E)...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  10. 100 yrs

100 yrs Well-Known Member

i was about to redress the edges of my leffot indy boots and when i noticed some small gashes on the uppers at the instep, just above the welt. this is consistent on both boots, but seen in the second pic. these are almost 2 years old and i've worn them pretty regularly, but this seems like something other than regular wear and tear. anyone else seen anything like this? coincidentally i had to return another pair of indy boots last year because the stitching at the instep was coming undone after a few months of wear (which alden sf replaced no questions asked - awesome service).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

Generally, I just chalk stuff like this up to typical wear and tear, especially after a couple of years. However, these look a bit different and look like the uppers could be pulling apart somehow. Maybe they were originally stitched too tight or something? The way the little gashes are so evenly spaced and sized, especially in the second photo, makes me wonder if it's something more than the typical abuse a pair of boots receives. Keep in mind, I'm definitely no expert and didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. 100 yrs

ha. yep it's the even spacing that has me scratching my head. i will say that these were pretty sloppily stitched originally in that when comparing the left and right boot the welt width is noticeably different between the two, but they're "work boots" so who cares.

i've emailed leffot to see what they say. i realize they're worn so maybe it is what it is. not too much of an issue now but worried that my ability to resole would be shot.

13. fishstix

fishstix Active Member

Is your C&J size the same as your Plaza size? When I sized my C&J Islays, I found that many people took one size down from their Trubalance size, and I read in the thread that some people take the same size with their Conistons as their Islays or half size larger. I found that the same size works well for me on both shoes, I guess due to my foot shape. I am leaning toward the Plaza Indy and I feel the right choice would be an 8.5D in my case, but your post has me apprehensive. It seems like for many people, the Plaza last is sized a half size larger relative to Barrie and Trubalance last

14. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Blackbird saddles
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  15. TommyB

TommyB Well-Known Member

I wear UK8.5E in C&J Harlech boots, last 341, that's the only C&J I have tried for a longer period. Maybe Coniston (last 325, right?) and Islay are different enough to be sized differently.
    Yes, judging by your Barrie/Trubalance size, Plaza in 8.5D should be fine.

16. fishstix

fishstix Active Member

Yes, the Coniston is on the 325 last and the Islay is on the 365 last. For the most part, they feel the same throughout the foot except the Coniston just has a slightly narrower toe area relative to the Islay, but the difference wasn't enough to bother me and I consider them both really comfortable. I don't feel like my toes or ball of my feet are getting pinched and I can wiggle all my toes easily. I think I will go for the Plaza Indy in 8.5D. Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it

17. 100 yrs

if it helps any, i wear an UK 8E on the 325, 335, and 341 lasts and a 9D in the plaza, and 8.5D/9C on trubalance.

18. shunted22

shunted22 Well-Known Member

Ravello daytrippers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. larryr

larryr Well-Known Member

Burnished Tan Calfskin Straight Tip Boot from Mack over at Brouge

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Seeing those Ravello boots makes me want a Ravello Captoe boot like the JCrew one but with 360 split welt on commando with brogue...like the one below except no medallion and 360 split welt

[​IMG]

Also would LOVE the this Leffott make up of the reverse green chamois with 360 split welt as well and brass eyelets
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.