1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Unlined Brooks #8 shell 2day:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

When I first got into the shoe game, I used to look at the AE and Alden threads and think to myself "what is so special about shell, why would anyone pay $700 for this, etc." Now, I have two dozen pairs of Alden shell shoes/boots and find myself still wanting more. Alden in particular does special things with shell, and their "exotic" shells are spectacular.

The key is to be patient, check eBay / Styleforum classifieds / Grailed often, and develop good relationships with the main Alden retailers that run exotic shells often (Alden DC, Alden Madison, TheShoeMart, etc.). You will probably end up buying several Color 8 and Black shell pairs in the meantime (and that's not a bad thing - both #8 and Black shell are wonderful).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Ravello chukkas.
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  4. Descry

Descry Member

Thanks for the tip! My very first pair of Alden's were color 8 Cordovan chukkas. Hoping to find a pair of whiskey lwb's or those slammin loafers in whiskey cause that color is so niceeeee

5. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Well, TheShoeMart just got a run of Whiskey LWB and LHS in - most of them are probably presold, but there is a chance one will pop up in their store or on their website, and there will certainly be folks reselling their pairs (there are already some on eBay or Styleforum classifieds). I believe a handful of other retailers have recently received or will soon be receiving Whiskey LWBs as well. Never hurts to make a few phone calls or send a few emails.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  6. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Active Member

Went to Alden on Madison in Manhattan today. Absolute heaven for an Alden fan. I picked up a pair of Unlined Chukkas in Tan Suede and a pair of George Boots with commando soles in Color 8 cordovan. They should be there when I get home. I'll post pictures when they arrive.

7. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

AoM is a great shop, sounds like you got some good pairs!

1 person likes this.
  8. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Active Member

The shoe selection is amazing...but the best part is the customer service. I dealt with Moses, who was the best, most knowledgeable shoe guy I've ever worked with. It was a complete pleasure.

9. ScarsdaleVibe

ScarsdaleVibe Well-Known Member

I know this is an Alden thread but C&J is offering a whiskey loafer at the moment.

http://m.crockettandjones.com//product/harvard2-whiskey

10. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

11. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Well-Known Member

I've never purchased C&J but have been looking into them lately. These look fantastic. Where do you US folks purchase from? I assume the quality of these is equal to Alden correct (acknowledging that maybe nobody does cordovan as good as Alden)?

12. Skelnik

Skelnik Well-Known Member

I just received my boots (4461H) from Alden Shop in San Fran. There are some markings on these and I wanted to see if others think this is acceptable or if I should send back for a different pair. On one pair there is what appears to be a 1.5 inch scratch on the side and the other pair has a small .25 inch scuf that exposes the under color, some gritty finish around the top, and another small scratch in the rear.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems to be more of a seconds quality item, but I just wanted other's opinions and advice.

13. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

Wear those, nothing really wrong with them, minor handling marks and some shell bloom (bumps).

14. Skelnik

Skelnik Well-Known Member

Thank you.

They sent me some Color 8 polish. Do you recommend using that on the handling marks or just leave as is and only use a horse hair brush for general dusting. I know everyone's care advice is different. Some say not to use any wax paste ever, even from Alden and others say at least use it once or twice a year. In this case I was wondering if it would be good to use on the marks.

Also the boots feel tight on back of heels and bridge of foot, but toes feel good. I suspect that is normal for these boots until they are broken in. Does that sound right or do you recommend going to a 8.5 E?

15. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Brogued cap toe today. Really looking forward to receiving mt black shell long-wing bluchers from TSM on Friday.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Update on these as I finally got some flat waxed laces.

Went from:
    [​IMG]

to:
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing how they break in

3 people like this.
  17. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

That's pretty interesting.
    I wonder how the otterwax on suede will wear and compare to something like a waxed flesh.

18. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

The shell care I will leave to someone else. But for now, brush them if you'd like and wear them.

The foot bed will compress a little bit as you break them in. The shell won't stretch but your foot will settle down slightly, possibly alleviating the instep and heel pressure a bit. How much pressure relief it will yield, hard to say.

19. chrisefi

chrisefi Well-Known Member

In the theater district tonight to see Hamilton.

Color 8 Saddles

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    2 people like this.
  20. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Well-Known Member

Unicorn, ha. A stock model that basically never gets posted here. Looking good.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.