1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ltjaw

ltjaw Well-Known Member

Another sizing advice request:

I have been breaking in a pair of natural CXL plain toe boots with regular wear over the last 2 months. These boots are on the Barrie last and were only available in D width. I was fitted at Alden SF and settled on 9.5. I recall size 10 feeling too roomy and noticed heel slippage. The boots I have are comfortable, but I could use just a little more length for my toes. I am a Brannock size 10.5 B/C, and these Alden boots have me thinking size 10C would be my ideal Barrie fit. Perhaps these boots will continue to stretch a little?

Looking ahead to some new shell cordovan boots, I am wondering where/how to track some down in size 10C. TSM has an option or two. Would I do better to look at some boots in a different last? I am unfamiliar with the Grant, Aberdeen, and Plaza lasts. Would one of these lasts be a better fit for my slightly narrow foot in the standard (D) width? If I'm a Barrie 10C, where should I start with the other lasts?

Thanks.

2. Poomba

Poomba Well-Known Member

I picked up a pair of PTB's at Epaulets sale as my first pair of Aldens! Brown CXL with a commando sole. Is there a good option of swapping out the heel for a less chunky piece of rubber? I feel like there could easily be another leather piece on the stack with thinner rubber and it would be just as durable, while looking better. Any ideas?

3. gatszu

gatszu Well-Known Member

@Burzan my deepest condolences to you and your family during this difficult time!

4. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

Explore other lasts. I recognize that certain popular styles are often made on the Barrie last, but for narrow feet, you will likely need to opt for C widths on the Barrie, which sometimes require a special order.
    A lot of fellows enjoy the Barrie because it is generous in terms of its width and shape. Personally, I prefer the Grant, Aberdeen, and Van over Barrie, but then again I also have narrow feet and just don't yearn for Barrie, which is too blobby to me.

5. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Thank you for the kind words gentleman

6. JayDotz

JayDotz Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a stockist that has color 8 tanker with antique edge on Barrie for sale or pre order? Thanks!

7. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your loss Burzan. My deepest condolences.

8. larryr

larryr Well-Known Member

9. MarcoDHC

MarcoDHC Active Member

10. 100 yrs

100 yrs Well-Known Member

Unlined snuff suede ptb, modified last

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

#8 BB unlined loafers. Can u say eggplant?

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Well-Known Member

once I decided that mine fit me well, I wore them around the house for a few days... however, mine were super comfortable right away. The most comfortable footwear I've ever had right out of the box.

13. newbiealden

newbiealden Well-Known Member

I always where them in the office on carpet for a few weeks - this seems to compact the sole more - and the tips of the soles tend to last a lot longer as a result. of course this means you have to change your shoes during the day!

14. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

BB Suede LHS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

tsm saddles
    it was hot today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  16. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

Jesse, So very sorry to hear of this. My prayers are with your family. My condolences!

17. Landau

Landau Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

I just got a pair of second hand Alden Shells in #8. The person who owned these before me didnt seem to take much care of them. I was wondering if shell bloom, left on the shoe, would turn black after a period of time as there are black marks around all the creases on the shoe.

18. stevefok

stevefok Well-Known Member

I don't think blooming will turn to black mark. It'd easier if you could post some photos of your shoes.

19. Landau

Landau Well-Known Member

I just dropped them off at the cobblers, but they resemble these marks:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  20. stevefok

stevefok Well-Known Member

pretty sure that the stains are not cuased by blooming. It should be some dirt or stain that the previously owner didn't take proper care of.

IMHO, I think regular shoe care is not enough to remove those stains. May need to redye the uppers in order to make the stains going away.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.