1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Yesterday. Alden Navy Suede PTBs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

5 people like this.
  2. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

I picked up my first commando last year and immediately fell in love. Now you have me reconsidering my resole to commando by B. Nelson or the guy in DC that's highly regarded around here. It may save a tiny bit of weight and if crepe lasts me this long, I would likely get twice as much time on commando.

3. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

Amazingly little known fact, the leather tips on crepe soles are replaceable. Take a close look at the welt stitching, you'll see that the stitching around the tip of your shoe is a separate piece of thread from the stitching that goes around the rest of the shoe. You can just have a cobbler take off the tip without affecting the rest of the welt (which is stitched to the midsole), attach a new piece of leather there, and sew on a new tip, and you're good to go.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  4. gertjan123

gertjan123 Member

Hi guys,

latest update from Europe; Kettler schuh shop still has Ravello cap toe blutchers available. And Schuh Keller (Ask for Marcus) still has cigar nst blutchers in a few sizes. This is all from older orders, they will not get any new stuff. Regards!

1 person likes this.
  5. a bag of it

a bag of it Well-Known Member

Noob question here. I'm buying my first interview suit. It will likely be a charcoal suit from suit supply. I'm wondering if black shell cordovan cap toe would be a good shoe to pair with the suit. Also, what would you recommend for a second shoe to rotate?

6. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Alden Ultimate Indy Boot. CHUP Socks. Epaulet Caramel Duck Canvas Rivet Chinos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

4 people like this.
  7. patrick_b

That's a great choice. I'm sure others will disagree but color 8 capt toe or LWB could work with a gray suit during an interview as well. Black is safer depending on industry but I interview and wouldn't blink at color 8/burgundy. You could always go color 8 for the 2nd shoe. I see more square toed awfullness than anything else and don't hold it against anybody.

8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I concur with patrick. I think a Color 8, such as an LWB, is a great choice for shoe #2.

-Mike

9. patrick_b

Love the UI Mike. I have the LS Ultimate Jumper in brown CXL but on double waterlock rather than commando. I'd much prefer commando. Well paired (as always) with the duck EP trousers.

10. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Suede LHS for a sunny casual Friday. Getting some oil form the soles transferring to the uppers from the flex sole, thinking I might give them a shampoo with some of Saphirs stuff to see if that minimizes it.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Ridly

Ridly Member

Just bought these guys yesterday. Normally I can't compete with the Shell set, but I thought this version was pretty unique and worth sharing. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  12. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Alden makes fantastic non shell options, always love seeing pics so thanks for sharing! Thats a great looking Indy!

13. gsgleason

gsgleason Well-Known Member

First, until you know you are going to keep them, try at all costs to avoid creases.

Lace them loosely and wear on carpet.

Stand up. Can you wiggle your toes freely? Push your foot forward. Do you toes press anywhere? Try to lift up all your toes. Are they restricted anywhere?

With experience, each of us learn our own feet and our problem areas. Mine are my toes.

14. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Two splendid samples of Alden Suede!!!

-Mike

15. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Epaulet Natural CXL Brixton

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  16. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

Don those Brixtons have aged so nicely

17. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Jet Black Shell.. 987's. Versatility... Won't be breaking out the unlined Shell till it breaks 100F.

1 person likes this.
  18. Fawkes007

Fawkes007 Well-Known Member

You may indeed wear black shoes with charcoal - I would definitely go with black shoes for an interview. The black shell cap toe is perfect (I have that shoe in calf). The nice thing about charcoal is it can go with anything - black, browns, color 8.

If you can, buy three pair of shoes in the colors mentioned above to rotate with the suit. I prefer bluchers with brown shoes and color 8. Brown shoes are for daytime ("no brown in town after sundown"), black shoes(balmorals) for evenings and formal events (weddings, interviews, business meetings, etc) and color 8 for anytime other than very formal events - plus - color 8 goes gangbusters with all shades of gray and blue.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  19. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Stellar Don!!!!

Those are looking great Chippy! Just need a quick cloth buffing... :)

-Mike

20. J One

J One Well-Known Member

Man... If this is the case I will not be able to use the cigar Indy's after dark....
    I am going to have to cancel that order....
    :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.