• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking to get my first pair of Aldens soon and am close to settling on the 9901 (PTB in Black Shell Cordovan), but I have a few questions:

1) How durable are they and how well do they wear? Will one scuff ruin them? How careful do I need to be with them?

2) Are they versatile enough to be dressed up with a suit or dressed down more casually?

3) I'm a 10 in vans authentics and a 9 in chucks. What size do you recommend I try first?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

AF117 today. Thought it was going to rain, but turned out to be a dry day in NYC.
You are looking good in your Wingtip Boots. Happy Tuesday!
Unionmade / Alden black suede LWB
Your Black Suede LWB is looking very good. I swore those were green. Haha!
ravello ct bluchers
Meh. Those are okay. ;-)
Taking my PTB Shell 8's to work today.
Looking great in your Shell PTBs my friend. Enjoy your shoes!
TSM Cigar LHS
Looking very good in your Cigars Don. Looking great in those Cigars.
Alden for ePaulet Ironside Indy Boot in Earth Chamois
Very nice!
Before the storm hit today. Frans Boone x Alden Parajumper Color 8
Yeah, not sure what is nicer, those boots or those slacks. Looking great bud! -Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get my first pair of Aldens soon and am close to settling on the 9901 (PTB in Black Shell Cordovan), but I have a few questions:

1) How durable are they and how well do they wear? Will one scuff ruin them? How careful do I need to be with them?

2) Are they versatile enough to be dressed up with a suit or dressed down more casually?

3) I'm a 10 in vans authentics and a 9 in chucks. What size do you recommend I try first?

Shell Cordovan is revered for its durability. A scuff on the shoes doesn't ruin them, but rather gives them character. They are shoes, wear them, but don't play soccer with them on. :)

The Black Shell PTB can go up or down pretty well. You should be happy with them.

Yeah, I am not going to even touch sizing advice when a Van shoe is the reference. I have no clue how those size. All I can tell you is to go Brannock Size - 1/2 for the Barrie PTB. :)

-Mike

g2cdk

Reaction score
I plan to get a natural cxl alden coz it changes color over time. Does someone has a photo of natural cxl alden with time as a reference?
Thanks
Lee

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafer Week #2.

Monday. Alden Cigar LHS via Alden DC. Marcoliani Brown Argyles. Epaulet Cedar Lavender Check Rivet Chinos.

Tuesday. Alden Black Shell LHS via Alden DC. Marcoliani Black Argyles. Epaulet Dusty Purple Basketweave Walt Trouser.

Wednesday. Alden Color #8 Tassel Loafer (No Photos) via Alden SF. Marcoliani Olive Argyles. Epaulet Kiss The Blarney Stone Donegal Walt Trousers.

Thursday. Alden Black Shell Full-Strap via TheShoeMart. Epaulet Charcoal Speckled Donegal Tweed Rivet Chinos.

Friday. Alden Color #2 LHS via Tassels HK. CHUP Socks via Epaulet. Gustin Charcoal Organic Hemp Selvedge Denim.

-Mike
the cigar lhs - check rivet combo is pure gold dubs.

This is my first attempt at 'mirror toeing'. I managed to get the right one smooth as glass but the left just didn't fare the same way. Oh well, I tried.
These are my oldest pair of shells. Whiskey LHS from TSM circa 2007.
love how these came out. i shy away from adding product to my aldens, but your loafers are looking stellar.

Despite all eyelets and the Alden steel shank, my 4060 are still one of my go-to airport choices. I noticed today that they could stand for some TLC this weekend though.
fantastic color on your boots Ben. i miss lighter #8.
Daaaaamn Daniel. Back at it again with the Whiskey shortwings.
Love these!
thank you sir.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan to get a natural cxl alden coz it changes color over time. Does someone has a photo of natural cxl alden with time as a reference?
Thanks
Lee

Time is probably less a factor than your care routine. I've only had my natty cxl Indy boots for 6 months or so, but in addition to a slight darkening of the leather, it has really achieved more depth. The welt has also darkened (somewhat more than the upper IMHO). I'm happy with all of that, though a slightly more matte finish wouldn't hurt my feelings. I'm fine either way.

You can seen a Day 1 and current for my pair here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/480296/the-official-alden-indy-appreciation-thread/135#post_8315296

My care routine is brushing before and after every wear, plus a handful of sessions where I wipe them with a slightly damp cloth and brush for several minutes. They've had two passes with Alden boot cream (which is probably one too many, but I've been wearing these a fair bit and they started life with me worn every day on a 10-day trip to rainy Japan). I'm not an expert, but my understanding is Nick Horween's recommended care for CXL is an occasional application of Neatsfoot oil or Venetian Shoe Cream, - , my understanding is both will darken the leather, especially the first (though all of that is the "heard on the internet" kind of "information" - I don't have direct experience with either).

I might eventually try the Saphir Greasy Leather Greasy Cream (Cuir Gras) on it, though it also has neatsfoot oil.

zennypoo

Reaction score

Can't spoil these.

Those reverse chamois WT boots from the Yenmeister look incredible.

Forgive me, but I don’t remember who it was who proposed that one to Yenni. (ZennyPoo?) But Thank you again to whoever it was!

The variety of make-ups being shown recently in the thread is most excellent.

Would love to claim credit for these, but I think it was @BenLeaman that came up with the design! I did suggest a navy smooth chamois wingtip boot on Barrie with natural welt, brass eyelets, and commando sole to Yenni. Hopefully that will get through the approval process!

Before the storm hit today. Frans Boone x Alden Parajumper Color 8

Amazing!

Last edited:

jackster145

Reaction score
hello all,

alden noob here. I chanced upon this supposed cordovan tassel loafers on ebay via an Italian retailer and am wondering if there's a way to ascertain if it's #8 or Cigar? or even cordovan at all:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SCARPA-ALDEN-37918Y-scarpa-uomo-/172096755986?var=&hash=item6da5fdaa56

a quick google of the model 37918Y didnt yield any info from major alden shops/retailers, but a few links ( in what i gather is Japanese) suggests that it is "Cigar".

can cordovan be distinguished apart from calf leather in the same shade in studio lighting?

ps. i have already emailed the retailer for more information but I hope to have some insight from the esteemed alden folks here.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics