1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official 2012 London Olympics Backlash Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Douglas, Jun 28, 2012.

1. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

i'd rather she attempt to keep her 5 minutes going by "accidentally" leaking her sex tape with Ryan Lochte

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Do you think she let any balls past her net?

3. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

I just saw the closing ceremony - well the Spice Girls part. How does Victoria Beckham look from afar exactly like the 1990s? I mean, even I aged since the 1990s.

4. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

Key point here: "From afar".

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

that would be the simultaneously most douchey/athletic/beautiful specimen of a child ever.

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Need to crossbreed Lebron and Serena Williams. Guaranteed gold medals right there.

7. Lord-Barrington

Ugly kid though...

8. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Agrees.

[​IMG]

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

10. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I always have to wonder about these athletic uberchildren. Agassi/Graf - if that kid can't slug the fuck out of a tennis ball....

...the American decathlete who won gold (can't recall his name) is engaged to a Canadian heptathlete (seems sort of odd that they don't let chicks do 10 events) who placed, IIRC, something like 7th at these Olympics. That should be a competitive kid. And isn't the Ross in Sanya Richards Ross an NFL cornerback?

11. Douglas

by the way, is there no more steeplechase? I usually enjoy watching that but either i just missed it or it's gone; and now that i'm typing it i thought i remembered something about them nixing it. track guys, help me out?

12. Lord-Barrington

If they have a male kid John Calipari will be waiting outside the prenatal ward with papers for him to commit to UK as a basketball player.

If I was a top athlete I would retire at the top of my game and then go out to stud, charging people for the right to use my sperm.

13. Douglas

oh another dumb question - do they really actually "rotate" in real volleyball? i thought that was just something you did in grade school so everyone got a chance. they kept mentioning rotations in the men's final, which was a fucking sight to see let me tell you, but it still always seemed like guys were in their usual positions, and i mean, they have actual "positions" like outside hitter and setter and stuff, right? am i the only one who's confused?

14. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Aaron Ross, Giants cornerback (i think he plays for a different team now)

there's some precedent to this - Kobe Bryant is the son of an NBA player, and there are a hundred MLB players whose dads played in the league too. genetic potential + good nutrition + wealthier upbringing + being exposed to sports at the highest level at an early age + usually hypercompetitive parent = perfect situation

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

isn't that what 95% of Canadian NHL players do anyway?

16. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

aaand...on the other end of the spectrum, this is why the Chinese probably will out-medal us next Olympics. it's amazing how many American families are willing to take serious financial hardship for their kids to even sniff the Olympics, and with the economy going in the shitter, less of them will.

contrast that with the big red (and yellow) machine - government funded sports programs + not particularly focusing on extraneous things like human rights = top of the podium

17. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

I saw a couple of steeplechase qualifiers on tv.

18. Lord-Barrington

I doubt China will ever outmedal the US in a summer Olympics. The apex of their centrally organized, state funded, drug fueled (in some cases), and strategically planned medal rush was Beijing and they still couldn't dislodge the US in total medals.

To win the total medal count you need a good showing in the pool and in track. Those are two areas that the Chinese will only become competitive in if they start a wide-scale juicing program (which isn't out of the question, I might add...).

19. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

Well last time China counted the number of gold medals rather than total medals but this year the US has them beat on total and gold. It just goes to show that host countries always pour money into their Olympics programs a few games before they are due to host. I reckon Britain will fall off the radar by the next decade. Look at Australia.

20. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I think they're closer than you think. China already has come close by dominating a few sports - badminton, table tennis, gymnastics, diving and I may forget a sport or two. I agree with you that two sports that could swing the balance are track and swimming, and it's hard to break the American stranglehold on those two. however the Chinese are already making inroads in swimming.

so they really just need to put a shitload of money and genetic engineering in the high medal count, wide open sports like judo, wrestling, taekwondo and boxing and I think they can win the medal counts easily.

also, America's Olympic success depends on kids growing up wanting to be Michael Phelps or Gabby Douglas or Carl Lewis, and their parents basically devoting all their time and financial resources in the pursuit of that dream. I just don't see that continuing at the same levels with our economy being how it is.