1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official 2012 London Olympics Backlash Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Douglas, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Well-Known Member

And the host nation gets a few more. Which is fair enough IMO.

Now the Olympics are over and have been handed over to Rio, will the Paralympics have their own flame and hand over? IMO Paralymic games should come before Olympic games, the cauldron should be lit at the start of the Paralympic and at the end of the Olympic games, the summer games should end the Olympiad and the handover should be to Sochi, who hand over to Rio.

2. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I agree with this completely. London did a great job and there were so many compelling stories. the only smear on the games for me was the shit media coverage

3. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

NBC's primetime coverage was terrible, but that is nothing new. But I think the available of live streaming more than made up for it this year. For the first time, I've been able to watch whatever events I wanted uncut, which is pretty amazing.

4. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Worth it. Glad as hell for Mo.

Both mens' and womens' did not disappoint. Womens' was a screamer, though.

NOAP.

The BBC behind-the-scenes clips were fantastic.

wtf? Ironic, considering that the marathon got its length in 1908 because the then-monarch (Queen Elizabeth II, I think) wanted the race to finish at the royal box in the stadium.

5. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

This sounds so wrong.

6. habanos

habanos Well-Known Member

Why NBC believes we are all hostages to their coverage is beyond me. Every other country aside from the US had better coverage than we received. Why cut the closing ceremony to make us view a show about a monkey? Why?:fu:

7. munchausen

Elizabeth II is the current monarch, bro. Edward VII would have been king in 1908

8. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

As my HS American history teacher always told us, "if you don't know the answer, the best guess is 'money'".

9. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

You could have at least fixed it for more wrongness.

:embar:

(no, not really - it was more a statement on Lizzie's astounding longevity as head of state)

10. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

As this is Styefo, Bob Costas' shirt/tie combination yesterday was nothing short of egregious. :fu:

11. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, very bad. The bold patterned shirt with suit and tie look needs to be left to people who know what they're doing.

12. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Yay, Hope Solo has a book coming out, I can't wait for that.

13. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

There had better be some NSFW pictures in said book if I'm going to read the damn thing.

14. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

BTW: I'm enjoying this meme.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  15. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

16. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

What possible material would a 20-something who's entered the public consciousness twice have to be able to write a book? Especially seeing how NBC has just given us a collective national enema of athlete puff pieces?

17. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Apparently she was conceived when her mom made a conjugal visit to her dad in prison. I believe NBC glossed over this fact in their coverage.

18. munchausen

There was a movie a couple of years ago about Justin Bieber's life story. Contemporary culture has no perspective on these things. But then again, if Solo or Bieber waited until they were 50 to write these stories nobody would remember who they were.

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

would you rather Hope Solo do a movie mixing her talents of goal keeping with an entertaining fantasy storyline similar to Game of Thrones?

seriously - its been done before by olympic athletes trying to cash out a bit before they fade away to oblivion.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  20. munchausen

She should make a movie where she is the daughter of Han Solo.