1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Non GQ/Esquire Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

It's widely available in Dubai, where I spend most of my down time. I have never seen it offered in the U.S. although you might find it at specialty shops or bookstores that carry large magazine selections.

2. Caustic Man

I didn't know Men's Vogue stopped publication. Goes to show how much I paid attention to it. Probably the Vogue name never really caught on with men.

3. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Well-Known Member

I did remember one thing I wanted to post. The bi-annual "Big Black Book" that Esquire puts out have been really pretty good, especially the one before the last. When I was reading it I kept thinking "this is the Esquire I remember". Seemed totally different from the monthly. I rate Spring 2011 as excellent and Spring 2012 as good.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I thought the Spring 2012 one was pretty bad. I'd agree that Spring 2011 was better and Autumn 2011 had some interesting things in it too. I just wish they wouldn't bother with the aspirational 'lifestyle' crap (cars, travel etc. and the pointless and not very funny life 'advice').

5. atila

atila Well-Known Member

I just subscribed to a year of Esquire for $6.43 (free shipping) because of this thread.

6. Caustic Man

What made you go with Esquire?

7. atila

atila Well-Known Member

Cause GQ was $15 and my only other option, based on this thread, was "The Rake", which costs $140+ for a year subscription and is only 6 issues.

8. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I get these along with Mens Club and The Rake.

Esquire and GQ each take me about 30 minutes to go through them. The UK versions aren't much better. They are so obviously "pay for play" stories and features. But I can get a subscription for a few dollars a year for each one. The black book can be enjoyable.

As someone said earlier today on another thread, the styling of much of the GQ stuff is silly. A denim jacket under a pin striped suit??? :fu:

9. Caustic Man

Hah, price points only. Fair enough.

10. atila

atila Well-Known Member

Oh, definitely. I used to get GQ long ago and found it mildly entertaining. Never even looked through an Esquire much, but for $7 for a year, I figured I would definitely be able to get even an ounce of value out of that subscription.

11. Caustic Man

Yeah, give it a try. Especially for that kind of a deal. It's too bad that The Rake is so expensive for international subscriptions. After getting it priced locally off newsstands I was surprised at the cost. Fortunately they do have some articles on their website for free.

12. 76classic

76classic Well-Known Member

Well, given the price tag and it not being readily available in my area, I ordered the digital version for $38.50 - 6 issue subscription.

13. Caustic Man

It's been a while since I have picked up an issue of Details magazine. I can remember not being blown away by it. Does anyone have any opinions on what Details is doing these days?

14. Apollotrader

Out of choices a couple months ago I tried Details maybe twice, it was a complete non-starter for me.......

15. Caustic Man

Mmmm, that's what I would have thought. My search continues...

16. Apollotrader

Please let us know how that is, I am going to try and find a hard copy this weekend just to give it a look.

17. Apollotrader

18. Caustic Man

I did look at it a little bit the other day. I will definitely explore it more although I do seem to enjoy publications more than retail sites.

19. Apollotrader

I completely agree ^^^ I only rely on it right now because of the void we find ourselves in right now with the state of publishing. The pendulum has swung to far, as it always does. Someone will come in to fill the gap. When they do hopefully someone here will make us all aware of it. Peace gentlemen, it is 1 am in my work world right now, so I am off.

20. 76classic

76classic Well-Known Member

So, I took the digital version of The Rake for a test drive and it is actually pretty nice. I was hesitant because I am a magazine hoarder, but it really is convenient to just bring it up on your laptop, iPad, or whatever. It takes up no space at all, loading is easy, and the clarity of the pictures are spot on. I also like the fact that you can zoom in on the pictures, so you can really pick up details.

On a side note, I like the fact that you can translate Leon on Google. Makes the reading much easier.