1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by fosho, Oct 12, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taint it sweet

taint it sweet Well-Known Member

Since people have mentioned price... Do I think paying $105 for a shirt with sheep on it is a little high? Sure. Do I think that paying $105 for a nice quality shirt that will last for a long time, through many washings and be a unique print that only 26 people could possibly get, while being able to directly deal with the designer and get timely responses...all while having it constructed in the US... is a little high? Not particularly. Of course, I'd rather pay $70 and get the exact same thing, but I'm not too bothered by this price point, so I preordered one. Some shirts, I agree can seem a little much. For instance, I absolutely love the Green Linen Polka Dot shirt. However, I cannot justify spending $155 on it right now. I would love for it to be cheaper, but I wouldn't expect a company to lower their prices for me. I guess it's whatever you're into. Me personally, I love the more casual stuff and think several of the whimsical prints are great and may pick up some MTM once that gets rolling, but I know not everyone sees things the way others do.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  2. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

WvG before-dinner monkey arms shirts fit me way better than the Epaulet house cut. I think the addition of a box pleat on the Epaulet shirt probably makes it fit a wider variety of body types, but having both BD and AD cuts results in better fits overall.

Basically all of this. I don't usually go for the more whimsical stuff, but I'm giving the skeleton print a shot when I go to DC for work next week. Could open up a whole new world for me.

3. Doorn

Doorn Member

The navy skeleton was my second WvG purchase a while back and it remains my favorite. The print is subtle enough that most people don't even notice the skeletons on my shirt until they get up close and really look. (Seriously, was talking with a coworker about a project and he interrupts himself mid-sentense to say "..wait..are those skulls on your shirt? I've seen you wear it before but never noticed.") I like that.

Plus, the fabric is VERY soft and comfortable. I call it my skullflake shirt.

4. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

yeah youd be surprised what i pull off at a very conservative (old white male) law firm in dc. that being said, i do need to "grow up" a little in my wardrobe from M-Th now that im a midlevel. but ive been working the past 2.5 years wearing the craziest colors and prints mauro has to offer. most people dont notice and/or are too conservative to ask or say anything. worst case they think im the gay. but regardless all of his shirtings were perfect to go from office to hh to night time play.

im going to slowly shift and use most of the prints for friday jean day and weekends but yeah dont be scared. live a little and push the envelope. thats the point of fashion and having some style. i remember like 2-3 years ago when guys were scared to try on non-brown or non-black socks oh my! now its weird if you arent wearing some crazy colored socks

1 person likes this.
  5. single origin

single origin Well-Known Member

Mauro, is it safe to assume that you will continue making basic/shirts around the prices we're used to or is the goal to just move all of the offerings upscale and use exclusive fabrics?

6. randomkoreandude

seriously no one in the world does this. the fact that he is willing to go that far says something: he is still an ahole :) but not trying to scam you. at the end of the day he does his best to please everyone. rare in this day and age, especially given the context.

sounds perfect for you. fyi its WvG :p

see bolded above

7. Klemins

Klemins Well-Known Member

Since you brought up Epaulet, yes people are used to paying 130-185 retail, but that isn't with a rewards membership that they bought into expecting to get a deal. From an outsider's perspective, it seems like you're raising retail prices enough to keep rewards pricing in line with other brands' retail offerings, which doesn't make sense since the whole rewards concept was founded on offering a well made product at a fantastic price...$150+ isn't a fantastic price by any means, though some may pay it (how often, who knows). If you aren't into the rewards program or can't do it anymore, then you might as well scrap it altogether and just raise your prices. As a rewards member, I'd actually appreciate that honesty rather than watch prices skyrocket to the point where my membership is essentially meaningless. There just seems to be a disconnect between your existing customer base and your new direction.

1 person likes this.
  8. dribas

dribas Member

Does anyone remember that these 6 shirts are dropping in the range of $80 for rewards members? I've been looking forward to them!

9. irbe

irbe Well-Known Member

correct me if I'm wrong but the chambray shirts at self edge are made in Japan and are more work shirts, with those details such as being triple stitch, hence the higher price tag.

Mauro can't buy a lot of fabric because he is a smaller business hence he is setting his prices at what they are. Yes he is very transparent with his pricing with how much it cost which is always great.

At the end of the day we can all pay what we want. As nice as the chambray dognal is I can't drop 175.00 for a shirt

I'm hoping WvG doesn't price themselves out, where rewards price end up being close to retails prices

10. Kehar001

Kehar001 Active Member

Where are people getting this idea that the prices are increasing? I've been following the WvG for about two years now - in that time the standard fabric shirts have always been $90-$110: and they still are. The mid-range fabrics have always been $120-$150: and they still are. And the premium range fabrics have always been anywhere from $160 to pushing $200: and guess what - they still are.

People need to stop being dramatic. In yesterday's drop, with rewards pricing two of the shirts were $105. One was $137.50. One was $165. And yes (shock and horror) one came in at $175. But that last one is the only thing anyone who has complained about prices in the last five pages has focused - as if the choicest fabric currently being offered is the ONLY fabric being offered. A premium fabric makes a premium shirt and is charged a premium price - and these have always been, and still are, the exception. Every MTO offering has the same price-scatter, so calm down. And even $175 is far from outrageous for a MTO shirt.

4 people like this.
  11. goldenbear

goldenbear Well-Known Member

Look, he claims to be offering a superior product at a discounted price (with the rewards membership). Whether the shirt costs 1, 2, or 3 hundred dollars isnt the point. He is saying the shirt would cost even MORE at retail.

I think he also saying his stuff has better quality materials than Epaulet; hence why he charges the same price for his discounted stuff that Epaulet charges at retail.

The rewards membership isnt meaningless. If you are paying $200 for a shirt that would otherwise cost $300 at retail it's a discounted price. If you don't feel his products are any better than retailers (i.e Epaulet) in the same price range, don't buy from him. But the premise is sound.

2 people like this.
  12. stafa

stafa Well-Known Member

The value proposition isn't the same for different people or at different prices for the same person. Yes if you buy into rewards you get a garment at half the cost at which it may sell at retail (how many people are actually buying WvG at full retail?), but that doesn't mean customers are still willing to spend a higher amount for a better quality garment. Some people might rather spend $75 on two different shirts, instead of $150 on one. That may be because they want more variety for the same money, or they may not want to pay double the price for a fabric they don't feel is worth double the cost. 50% off is a great deal, but pricing and value are two separate things. If Mauro continues to push for mostly luxury fabrics at higher price points, he will freeze out a portion of his current and future customer base. If we continue to see garments in a wider price range, then hopefully everyone can get something they want.

1 person likes this.
  13. goldenbear

goldenbear Well-Known Member

Which retailers do you mean? His shirts are already more expensive than most retailers. Obviously if you have to buy VIP to pay the same price that you would at Barneys that would be dumb. But he says his stuff is better than competitors offer at the same price point. As long as that remains true the premise still makes sense.

14. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in

This is totally off base. A triple needle chain stitch is an easy stitch. It's much more difficult to do single needle work. What's a work shirt? A shirt you wear to work? It's no different from any other shirt.
    A chain stitch machine is one of the easier machine to use if not the easiest. It also cut down on the time to make the shirt.
    Being made with premium fabric and being made in Japan has a lot to do with the cost for sure. Is it made well? I am pretty sure it is but saying it's triple needled is not true at all. I think dead tailors and fine shirts makers are rolling over in their graves, lol.

When people say I can't buy a lot of fabric it's true and it's a little more expensive but you need to order at least 1,200 yards of most fabric before a deal is made and that deal is tiered until the discount can't go any lower. It's not as big as price break as you think.

I will continue to offer lower tier price goods like the 6 chambray's for $80.00. Those fabrics are made from quality Japanese and Italian fabrics.

And this sir is exactly what I plan on doing.
    I will make superior clothing at multiple price points because I have customers who want different thing is my vision. Well said.

15. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    [​IMG]

A breath of fresh air. One of my kick ass clients just sent me some chips and salsa that he makes! Thank you so much. You rock!

2 people like this.
  16. taint it sweet

This is how I feel. I don't care if some of the high quality stuff he's offering costs $800, I can't afford that, so it wouldn't cause me to complain. As long as I can get products that I also like from him at a price that I'm comfortable with, why would I care what his higher end stuff costs? If I'm shopping for a 3 Series, why would I be complaining about how much a 7 Series costs from the same company? I think some of the things I want are priced a little too high for my comfort level (polka dot linen, I'm looking at you), but for the most part, I feel like I can get shirts I like for a price that makes sense. I bought my first pair of pants the other day and the fit was extremely tight...Mauro was very understanding in the entire process. I was a little surprised when the tees went up $8 each, and I might have ordered one more, had they not, but I still think it's a good quality and when I get the extra money, I'll pick more up. Overall, I think some good points have been made, both in support and criticism, but personally, my experience has been positive thus far with my membership.

2 people like this.
  17. randomkoreandude

lol this is very well said. i like the bmw 3 series to 7 series. id just say f the bmw and use mbenz but thats my personal pref :foo:

18. taint it sweet

Ah. I've never owned a Benz. I've had Audi, Saab and BMW, and my favorite of those has aesthetically been Audi and performance BMW.

1 person likes this.
  19. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Well-Known Member

Of course you would.

1 person likes this.
  20. taint it sweet

Also, with all this talk of crazy prints and unattainable products, if anybody has a M Party Pigs that is taken care of, I may be interested in buying it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.