1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The new 007

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Ambulance Chaser, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

(drizzt3117 @ 18 Nov. 2004, 3:40) I think Dalton was pretty hardcore, people wanted a switch from him because he wasn't a very nice guy...
    I am probably in the minority, but I quite liked Dalton's Bond. Â He played a darker, more human Bond, particularly in License To Kill, where he avenged the maiming of Felix Leiter and the murder of Felix's bride. Â Brosnan's Bond has been a bit cartoonish.
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan of Dalton. I liked him better than any Bond except for the early Sean Connery Bond. He had emotions. He had a dangerous, hard edge about him. I also agree that the franchise really needs to jerk itself back to reality a bit. The movies need to be more than a bunch of stunts and bad puns. In the past, the crazy stunts were a lot more impressive, because there was a real, live stunt man doing it. Now, you know it's only computer generated and it just isn't that exciting. Die Another Day was just plain silly. As mentioned above, it's degenerating into the late Roger Moore period, almost a parody. Give the new Bond a serious script, and Charlize Theron as his "Bond Girl" and the franchise will get a much needed jump start.

2. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of the posts. The franchise really needs new direction, as the last 3 films have been frankly, dire. Goldeneye was passable, but then again I did not see Brosnan as a good fit in the role, he lacks any menace whatsoever, and I find him smarmy.
    Dalton was my favourite, and I think ahead of his time, as Licence to Kill was generally regarded as a flop for being too violent, and for want of a better word, realistic, i.e. no ubervillain scheming to take over the world in some hugely implausible way, just a drug dealer and a personal vendetta, yet look where we are, with the excellent Bourne series basically using this same style, and being massive hits.

I would love a new Bond, with a new direction to serious, reality based thrillers, not Austin Powers crap (sorry, hate it) we have suffered recently.

I favour an off the wall choice, like Damien Lewis or Jonathan Cake, or from the list Clive Owen.

Please not Ewan McGregor.

Pity Dalton is too old now.

Just on the subject of who Cubby Brocolli wanted, did he not favour Cary Grant, but could not get him due to budget constraints, meaning his fee was more than the entire budget for Dr. No?

3. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

On Her Majesty's Secret Service with Lazenby, just like Dalton's two outings have, I think, become much more accepted and appreciated as the years have gone by.

I think the sacking of Brosnan, and lack of any real info on the net about script or directors for the next film indicates that the producers have realised a lot or all of what has been said here, and we are going to, hopefully, get something new and fresh after a short hiatus.

So lets have a new Bond, new to the franchise director and writers, NO God awful John Cleese, no gadgets and a decent theme song.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I am surprised at the overwhelming support for Mr. Owen. Â Look like there are a lot of Bond purists on this board. Check out this screen shot from the upcoming movie Closer. Â Tell me who looks more like how you picture Bond.

5. TheRookie

TheRookie Well-Known Member

For those unaware - there is a Bond marathon currently ongoing on Spike TV.

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

I think I should be the new Bond. F*ck it.
    It's about time we had a Japanese/Irish superspy.

7. Valmont

Valmont Well-Known Member

I think Robbie Williams would be an excellent bond. Sure he is not very well-spoken or worldly but he has got the cool connery look and they could probably teach him the rest, it's only a bond movie not a shakespeare play.

Only problem is that has got too many tattos all over his body, but I guess they should have some way of editing it out or just keep bond fully clothed (not very likely).

8. stevo4

stevo4 Well-Known Member

Ever since i saw Clive Owen in Croupier, i thought he could fill the Bond shoes very nicely.

I just think although he's been in a number of films, including the BMW series which helped his exposure quite a bit, he still isn't as recognizeable as some of the others. And in Hollywood, its all about who can open a movie big.

Stevo

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Well, he was the lead character of a major film (King Arthur) Brosnan wasn't huge before he became bond, neither was Dalton, the franchise will sell itself.

10. water

water Well-Known Member

I agree, the franchise sells itself.

And in the picture AChaser linked, I definitely think Clive Owen looks the part. Bond needs more menace.

11. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

Don't forget Connery was the guy from "Darby O'Gill and the little people" when he was made Bond.

The lack of menace and the smarm in Brosnan is magnified ten fold in the awful Robbie Williams. Please God no.......

12. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

Wel, look at Sean Connery. He is a bit rugged for Bond. I think Clive Owen would make a perfect Bond. He cleans up nicely (just look at some of his BMW short movies) and he can be a brute when necessary. Just like Sean.

13. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

The BBC have reported today that certain bookmakers have suspended taking bets on who will be the next Bond following 6 large bets being placed on Colin Salmon. They fear inside knowledge. Others have dismissed it as a publicity stunt to raise his profile.

It would appear unlikely unless Eon have decided to be very radical as Mr Salmon is black.

Apart from this (I doubt I would get to play Shaft.) he is not the worst choice being mentioned, certainly better than that guy from those awful Star Wars prequels or that prepubescent Bloom bloke.

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

I think either Christian Bale or Adrian Paul would fit the bill nicely.

koji

15. Sevcom

Sevcom Well-Known Member

Isn't Colin Salmon the black MI6 agent from the last two Bond movies? Brosnan once said he would like to see him as 007. Doesn't mean it'll ever, ever happen, but he'd be a radical and intriguing choice.

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

A black Bond just doesn't work. It's not a racial thing...Ian Fleming wrote Bond as a white guy, and thus all the films producers have kept to that premise so why mess with the authors original intentions now? Having a black guy play Bond is like having an Asian play a Zulu chieftain. Or like having a white guy play a samurai warrior...[​IMG] Jon.

17. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

Ralph Fiennes or Jason Isaacs or Jeremy Northam would be very good in the role also.

The net is saying that James Purefoy is a front runner.

The Colin Salmon rumour, although interesting is just that as far as I am concerned.

I saw a film recently about a Jewish Doctor who was a survivor of Auschwitz, and had close dealings with Dr Mengele, who was chillingly played by Jonathan Cake. I though he could be good, and I read somewhere he had tested out in around 1999.

Just watched Licence to Kill tonight as it happens, the last good Bond film.

Do Americans really not know what "revoked" means? (Licence revoked was to be the title but MGM changed it as they thought US viewers would not understand what it meant)

18. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

not in the red states. (sorry, couldn't help myself. [​IMG] )

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Do Americans really not know what "revoked" means?
    not in the red states. (sorry, couldn't help myself. [​IMG] )
    [​IMG] Jon.

20. ViroBono

ViroBono Well-Known Member

Stranger things have happened on film, like the Americans capturing the first Enigma machine.... Personally, I think Richard E. Grant would make a good Bond, and would probably be nearer to the way Fleming wrote the character.