• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The NBA Playoffs

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Am I the only one that doesn't like LeBron? The problem I have with LeBron's play is that he's not the type of guy that inspires the other players around him in my opinion. Jordan made everybody play good and so do Nash and Kidd. These guys inspire other people to perform at their best, whereas I feel the LeBron does not have confidence in the rest of the team and tries to do things himself, which leads to the rest of the team not having confident in iteself and not getting any better. He just seems like a spotlight grabber who's good as an individual player but not good as a leader of men. Any thoughts?

He's still basically a kid. One day the light will either "turn on" or it won't.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
He's still basically a kid. One day the light will either "turn on" or it won't.

Good point.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the only thing you can say about michael jordan is that he has been the most overrated player in NBA history.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
the only thing you can say about michael jordan is that he has been the most overrated player in NBA history.
Seconded here...

But this, my friend, will be hotly debated...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney

Six NBA Championships is hard to argue with. LeBron went ape-**** with happiness just to win his first NBA playoff series.

I heard a funny quote the other day about the Wizards-Cavs series. "I've never seen two teams fight so hard for the right to get swept by the Pistons in the second round."

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
You're seriously going to compare Michael Jordan to Robert Horry?

Btw, not knocking Big Shot Rob--I love that guy.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to the thread topic. The Cavs/Wizards series was amazing and the game 7 for the lakers/suns is the result of another amazing series.

The Nets had better take it up a nothch. RJ is on fire but Kidd looks a little lame. However with two double doubles in the last two games it shows if he cant beat you with scoring buckets, he'll beat you another way.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Back to the thread topic. The Cavs/Wizards series was amazing and the game 7 for the lakers/suns is the result of another amazing series.

Cavs/Wizards was a great series. I was pulling for Arenas last night--mostly because I wanted to see a Game 7--and I thought my prayers were answered when he hit that monster 30-footer at the end of regulation, but man... those free throws....

Plus, DAMON JONES?! Anyway, my prediction: LeBron manages to steal one game against Detroit, just because he's LeBron--kinda like Iverson in the 2001 finals against the Lakers. That's it, though. Just one. Detroit in five.

And tonight is going to be great.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
You're seriously going to compare Michael Jordan to Robert Horry?
OE was citing 6 championships as proof of MJ's greatness.

I was being ironic.

BSR might get his 7th this year...

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Six NBA Championships is hard to argue with.

I won't belabor this too much, but Jordan was a great player, you won't hear me say otherwise. But he is not the be all and end all of hoops as people sometimes like to think.

There's a generation of kids weaned on televisions glass teat who don't know anything about the sport or the true richness of the game. They blurt out Jordan as some mantra.

It's just not so. Any objective look will tell you tha MJ can really claim no category as his own, nor can he claim any real impact on the game itself. Wilt caused rule changes, Russell DOMINATED the sport with 11 championships in 13 seasons with his last as player AND coach. Other players had an equal level of championships (Kareem) and more single handedly turned their teams around (David Robinson) or created a larger void when they left - Jordan's bulls made the playoffs without him. Other players had more points, rebounds, assists, steals, clutch shots, triple doubles and more.

And as for sheer artistry on the court nothing equals the showtime Lakers with the Pele of Parque, Magic Johnson elevating team basketball to the beautiful game.

In short, MJ was a great, gifted wonderful player, but he is not, nor will he ever be the greatest.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Extremely well said CDM.

But I'm from WI, and we cheeseheads just can't get excited about anything that happens in Chicago...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
I won't belabor this too much, but Jordan was a great player, you won't hear me say otherwise. But he is not the be all and end all of hoops as people sometimes like to think.

There's a generation of kids weaned on televisions glass teat who don't know anything about the sport or the true richness of the game. They blurt out Jordan as some mantra.

It's just not so. Any objective look will tell you tha MJ can really claim no category as his own, nor can he claim any real impact on the game itself. Wilt caused rule changes, Russell DOMINATED the sport with 11 championships in 13 seasons with his last as player AND coach. Other players had an equal level of championships (Kareem) and more single handedly turned their teams around (David Robinson) or created a larger void when they left - Jordan's bulls made the playoffs without him. Other players had more points, rebounds, assists, steals, clutch shots, triple doubles and more.

And as for sheer artistry on the court nothing equals the showtime Lakers with the Pele of Parque, Magic Johnson elevating team basketball to the beautiful game.

In short, MJ was a great, gifted wonderful player, but he is not, nor will he ever be the greatest.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I wouldn't call him the greatest basketball palyer ever, either. But, I'm not sure that he was overrated. I mean, I guess it depends who is rating him and what they are saying about him. Also, we haven't really had a guy marketed the way that Jordan was since he disappeared. That may be his greatest impact on the sport - the fact that more people knew his name than any other player ever to play the game. If you go up to a random person and ask them "name a basketball player" I'd be willing to bet that the #1 answer would be "Michael Jordan." Of course, none of this really says anything about his basketball skills.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
OE was citing 6 championships as proof of MJ's greatness.

I was being ironic.

BSR might get his 7th this year...

Ok, what I meant was, lead his team to Six Championships.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
The Nets had better take it up a nothch. RJ is on fire but Kidd looks a little lame. However with two double doubles in the last two games it shows if he cant beat you with scoring buckets, he'll beat you another way.

I'm predicting Nets over the Heat in 6. The Nets are going to be reved up for this one because they got swept by the Heat in Round 1 last year, but this is a totally different Nets team. RJ is 100% healthy again, Vince has been playing exceptionally well during the playoffs (except for Game 1 against the Pacers), Krstic has grown and is now a more powerful weapon than he was last year, Kidd is Kidd, and Collins is one of the only guys in the NBA that can effectively defend Shaq.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads