1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The MBA Thread

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Tarmac, Aug 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. kasper007

kasper007 Well-Known Member

I definitely don't think 28 is too old. as a matter of fact, it's actually the average age at most top schools. however, keep in mind that due to the nature of MBA recruiting , you're very unlikely to benefit from the extra year of work experience so i would encourage you to apply as soon as possible. I was 31 at matriculation (I graduated late at 25 due to a double major and an extended gap years + 6 years of work experience) and while I think age really isn't a factor (had plenty of classmates that were my age and even older), the amount of pre-MBA experience is. Consulting firms and banks, which hire the majority of MBAs, have all their new grads start as associate 1, regardless of pre-mba experience so it can definitely be a step-back for many. I had already done IBD and had no interest of going into consulting so it didn't matter in my case, but i have some classmates who really wanted to switch industry and will definitely be starting in a lesser role, including 2 ex PE guys who couldn't get a summer gig, freaked out and will soon be starting as IBD associates in the early 30s. i want to cry every time i think about them.

as for the gmat, i found the best way to get a high score (700+) if you're time constrained is to take 2 weeks off before the test and cram 14-16 hours a day. Most of my classmates did the same and we mostly agree that it's hard to study over a long period of time because you keep losing your form and forgetting the little trick to allow you to nail the tough questions.

2 people like this.
  2. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

agree with kasper, also I have my books for sale still if you wanna buy them ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Khayembii Communique

4. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Well-Known Member

You dog! What about the Styleforum kickback haha.

5. Khayembii Communique

Got into NYU, applying to Columbia still, figured I'd bump this ancient ass thread

1 person likes this.
  6. MikeC630

MikeC630 Member

I got rejected from Columbia ED. Good luck though. Did you apply to HSW?

7. Khayembii Communique

Rejected from Harvard, Wharton, Booth, Tuck

8. MikeC630

MikeC630 Member

Damn. Did you visit Tuck? I did and applying this round. My interviewer was Indian and difficult to understand him so I kept asking if he can repeat the question. Hope I'm not fucked.

9. Khayembii Communique

:embar:

Yeah I absolutely loved it. Knocked my interview out of the park. Still rejected.

I think it's better anyways, at least now I'm in NYC which is where I ultimately wanted to end up anyways and the NYU/CBS MBA's are extremely well recognized/regarded in the city in finance because they're right there so it works out.

10. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

Could apply to Umd for a safety ...number 17 according to us news ahead of stern. But I'm not biased or anything. Just kidding its non target for you from what I remeber.

If you have any questions about it though let me know.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  11. kasper007

kasper007 Well-Known Member

Tuck has such a small class that is makes admission a little more random than at other schools not to mention that it's very new england so it can be harder to get in if you haven't got any tie to the region

12. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Well-Known Member

Having a friend in the part time program I've heard the same thing from them as well as seen it in practice. NYU is very well regarded.

There is always a really big recognition bump when you're in the same region as the school.

Welcome to NYC if you didn't already live here.

13. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

Regardless of the various online rankings, how to D.C. area B-schools rank in terms of reputation and name weight within the beltway? I have not been in the DC region very long and am just starting to look. I have not decided on whether or not I will go full or part-time. If I go full, I may look out of the area as well, for what it's worth.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  14. OmniscientCause

I mean it's not nyc or Boston but gtown and Umd have good programs. Faculty at smith is consistently rated in top 5 of any program and ocs was rated 2 in the country last year.

Average grads were making 90k last class and it was only that low because a decent portion go into no profit or govt.

Finance and consulting are in the 110-120 range post grad.

Send me a pm if you have any specific questions on smith as I'm currently a first year

As far as I know gtown consistently places people on ws and smith has been sending a few there every year for the last five years. We have relationships with credis Suisse and ubs

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  15. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

What did you do before you enrolled, if you don't mind my asking?

16. OmniscientCause

Worked in middle office at a custody bank for a little over 3 years

17. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time figuring out if an MBA and a future career in Management Consulting is right for me. Maybe someone, potentially with a similar background, can provide some input?

From what I've read, the work itself seems appealing, and the compensation is good, but realistically I’m not sure if I am skilled enough to get admission to a top B-school.

Some background: I’m 28, graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering from a top Canadian school, although with a poor GPA (2.7).

I have been working for 4 years for a Fortune 500 Engineering Construction company. I work in the Project Controls department, and veered away from traditional design work. I deal with Contractor management, construction scheduling, project cost management/variances, Risk analysis etc. Essentially I’m an intermediate analyst/project manager.

Work itself is interesting, and aspirations for Project Management seem achievable within 10-15 years if I continue on this track. I just received my professional Engineering designation (requires 4 years of experience in Canada) and am working towards a PMP designation.

I’ve been promised more responsibility than what I believe I am capable of, but this industry seems to reward seniority more than capability and output. I am progressing well, but I had desires to achieve more at this age, and feel restricted. I feel like I am more business minded, personable, charismatic and extroverted than my role allows me to be. I spend a great deal of time working through spreadsheets, reports, analysis, E-mails. At a high level, the projects are very interesting, but I am often forced to be embedded grinding through the details.

The nature of this type of work requires me on average ~60 hours/wk and at remote construction sites for sometimes lengthy periods of time. So I don’t believe the long work hours of a consultant and varied locations would be a concern for me.

My questions:
    - Would Management consulting provide the type of career change I am looking for in terms of potential growth and role responsibility?

- I have yet to attempt the GMAT, but I’ve always struggled with examinations. Even if I achieve something close to 700, a 2.7 GPA would severely restrict me. Would it be worth it to attend a school that wasn’t Top-20? I believe my work experience is strong, increasing responsibility, excellent references from VPs and Management and work on 3 different continents.

- I earn $130k to $150k (CAD) a year, depending on the amount of overtime, with an expectation that increases 5%, give or take, every year; will the compensation be considerably better?

- There is a good possibility an MBA would benefit me even if I return to my own industry, but taking two years off work and paying a considerable amount for an MBA may not be the best investment?

Thanks, any comments appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  18. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Well-Known Member

To give a short answer while I'm at work. You likely wouldn't find anything that different from your current career other than younger and more dynamic co-workers. You would have an uphill battle for B-school, put off two years of earnings plus lay out for expenses.

If I were you I'd stick with your current role and see how you can express your charisma. Maybe in future roles or on the board of local charities.

19. Khayembii Communique

I graduated with a 3.0 gpa from a no-name local public university. I worked two jobs after school, each in small no-name companies, before getting a job at a (small, no-name) private equity firm. Been working here a year. Interviewed at Booth, Tuck and NYU. Accepted at NYU. Still waiting to hear back from Columbia. B-schools are much, much more flexible and open to unique stories and situations than other businesses, so it's a good way to move up if you're not a traditional background. With that being said, it's very expensive when you consider both the cost and surrendered salary.

1. How many management consultants have you asked this question to?

2. I got a 750 on the GMAT. It was a challenge but not insane. With a 2.7 GPA you will have to get a GMAT score above the median score at the schools to which you apply. It would not be worth to attend a school that isn't top 20 for you. They will be much more forgiving of the 2.7 GPA if you get a high GMAT and take one or two classes to build an alternative transcript (with A's of course). Your international experience will be huge.

3. That's a decision you have to make for yourself.

If you decide to commit to MBA, I'd suggest the following:

1. Knock the GMAT out of the park. 730+
    2. One or two courses with A's as an alternative transcript
    3. Get significant non-profit experience to round out your resume (preferably board level or business/finance related)
    4. Start outlining your leadership experience at work and crafting your story

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. Vennouem

Vennouem New Member

1. Knock the GMAT out of the park. 730+
    - what does it mean?