1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Madras Shirt thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by srivats, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

BB madras shirts were pretty good,I don't know how they fit but I need to pick up a couple before they are long gone.

I was pleasantly surprised with how well their slim fit short sleeve sport shirts fit me.

2. carrywoody

carrywoody New Member

3. gomak

gomak New Member

2 from RL, one italian.

They don´t bleed.... alas!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. gomak

gomak New Member

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

question, how do you wear these? I've never had anything quite like them, but I think that they are cool, and might be a good addition to a casual wardrobe

6. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

question, how do you wear these? I've never had anything quite like them, but I think that they are cool, and might be a good addition to a casual wardrobe

With khakis, no tie.

7. forex

forex Well-Known Member

With khakis, no tie.

In the summer.

8. srivats

In the summer.

all year round [​IMG]

9. forex

forex Well-Known Member

all year round [​IMG]

Well, I wouldn't wear a madras shirt in colder weather, it kind of defeats the purpose of madras, no?

10. srivats

Well, I wouldn't wear a madras shirt in colder weather, it kind of defeats the purpose of madras, no?

It can be worn under a sweater [​IMG] I just like wearing 'em year round, but you are right -- they are the best for summer.

11. Aaron01

Aaron01 Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on where you live; being in socal, I could probably get away with wearing madras all year since people freak out when it gets into the low 50s. In other places, I suppose it could always be worn under a SC if one really wanted to.

12. srivats

I had to add this photo to this thread! She is probably the cutest madras aficianado on this forum [​IMG]

Standing in for me, as I might not make it. Team USA Croquet SF Plaid Team​
    [​IMG]

13. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I've got a few madras shirts that I need to have taken in at the waist. Anything to watch out for when taking it to the tailor? I'm worried about the pattern getting fubared.

14. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Anyone seeing NOS madras, the real deal anywhere in a size 16 x35 or size large?

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Anyone seeing NOS madras, the real deal anywhere in a size 16 x35 or size large?

I recently talked to the guys at Gant and Gant Rugger and they told me that some of their madras is from the 1960s. Might want to check with them.

Note that their stores carry sizes that are sometimes not listed on the their websites. I believe they have two stores in NYC and one in New Haven. You may want to check with them if you don't see the size you need.

16. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Really? I will be in NYC in a few weeks, will check them out. Thx!

17. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Really? I will be in NYC in a few weeks, will check them out. Thx!

It's unclear what that even means though, to be honest. Madras became colorfast sometime in the 1970s, but I'm not sure if that's early 70s or late 70s. If it's early, and someone at Gant has mistaken something as being from, say, 1969, even though it's really from 1971, it's still NOS, but it won't be the kind you want. (I assume when you say you want NOS madras, you want bleeding madras).

Still, worth a look. Maybe you can ask if you can splash water on it and see if it bleeds before you buy it. [​IMG]

18. mossrockss

mossrockss Well-Known Member

My friend is traveling to India this afternoon.

I told him to look for a madras shirt for me.

Anybody have any experience buying madras from India? Is it worth it? He'll be in the larger cities for a bit but also just driving around in the rural areas.

19. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

^Buying madras in India is not as easy as you'd think. I've mainly looked for madras fabric, and after quite a bit of searching (in BIG fabric shops) I found some in a shop in Chennai that sells hand made goods.

I thrifted this not too long ago. Indian madras, shirt made in USA, loved the three button collar and loop on the back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Alan, I am thinking that I will get a bunch of hand loomed madras cloth next time I'm out there , and make some shirts out of them, but, yes, madras clothing is hard to find.