1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Madras Shirt thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by srivats, Dec 26, 2009.

1. K. Nights

K. Nights Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for where I could purchase some madras fabric online?

2. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Well-Known Member

3. ltontheqt

4. ltontheqt

5. K. Nights

K. Nights Well-Known Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. A lot of good options here.

6. jha9901

jha9901 Member

Madras takes me back to high school circa 1965 when all of a sudden the guys started dressing "collegiate"....seemed to happen over night.....real cultural paradigm shift at that time...the other guys were called "Nicky Newarks" (we were from NJ).....we wore madras shirts (only the kind that bled)....levis; desert boots (suede chukkas)...of course penny loafers.........still love madras shirts; but they are hard to find.

7. jha9901

jha9901 Member

Madras takes me back to high school circa 1965 when all of a sudden the guys started dressing "collegiate"....seemed to happen over night.....real cultural paradigm shift at that time...the other guys were called "Nicky Newarks" (we were from NJ).....we wore madras shirts (only the kind that bled)....levis; desert boots (suede chukkas)...of course penny loafers.........still love madras shirts; but they are hard to find.

8. jha9901

jha9901 Member

9. Hausnfranz

Hausnfranz New Member

I will be traveling through india for 2 months and was wondering if anyone had specific locations to go for getting madras shirts made? I will be going north to south, landing in Delhi and flying out of Kochi, Kerala, so unfortunately won't be able to visit Chennai (assuming this is the best town to find it?) until the end of the trip.

10. AmbyBud

AmbyBud New Member

I think you need to see: Patchwork-Madras.weebly.com , where there is a lot of madras fabric.

11. brax

brax Well-Known Member

Hidden in my bag (picture was taken for a different purpose, sorry) are some O`Connell´s NOS pants in bleeding madras:

[​IMG]

And here is a vintage BB bleeding madras shirt that I found, of all places, at a street market in Bangkok:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. pogo

pogo New Member

Heads up: all Lands End Madras shirts on sale now - including long sleeve.

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Would anyone be interested in going in on an order for madras shirtings from this company? They require a 30-40 yard minimum (it can be mix and match, doesn't have to be 30-40 yards of the same fabric), and I only need 4-6. (Use the link menu at the left to see all the fabrics)

The quality here is kind of crappy, to be honest, but the price cheap. From memory, I think it's something like $5 a yard. But they have a wide selection, and I think some would make for fun, custom shirts.

FWIW, I've found much better madras through Rosen & Chadick in NYC, but they're more expensive at ~$20-25 a yard, and their stock is both limited and fluctuating. Sometimes they have nice patterns in, sometimes not.

(cross posting in Unfunded Liabilities thread)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  14. aucociscokid

aucociscokid Well-Known Member

I, too, would wish to source "bleeding" madras by-the-yard. Good - not poor - quality. Don't mind paying. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  15. aucociscokid

Looking to source "bleeding" Madras fabric by-the-yard/meter at retail for MTM men's "Bermudas." Am knowledgeable re: Atlantis and Rosen and Chadick. By reputation one is superior. Any sources in India itself? Any "proxys?" Thanks.

16. aucociscokid

I may know where to obtain "bleeding" madras; the authentic, "real McCoy." Non-colorfast. The type which was available in the 1960s and which hasn't been produced in Chennai (which was Madras) since.

17. spiermackay

spiermackay Well-Known Member

It still is produced in very small numbers on "handlooms", but only produced on order with pretty high minimums. They no longer produce and distribute stock though. Dyes are still made using vegetable dyes. The older stuff used 60' Singles and was silky. The stuff they churn out now is using 40's for the most part, good but not great.

One our our suppliers keeps dead stock bolts in his showroom that he refuses to sell and I have to sit and just admire it every time I see it.

18. aucociscokid

40s x 40s – Reed 72, Picks 72 and 40s warp with 60s weft single. Good? Silky? Thanks.

19. spiermackay

spiermackay Well-Known Member

Is it 40s x 40s or 40s x 60s, if the later, that's the stuff you want.

20. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

I would be interested in poor quality madras, if anyone has a source. As expensive as possible please.