1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

TBH i can't say much on the quality of Berteil knits as i dont own any. I have got BD shirts that are very good. It is an interesting brand indeed, they got two shops in Paris. They exist for a long time and were among the favorite shops of the Drugstore lads. Apart their own brand they sale a Few other selected items, like Alden tassel loafers.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Well-Known Member

m

You seem a bit despondent there mate!

I long since passed the point of acquiring things I need and I reckon I'm almost beyond the point of acquiring things I want. From this point it's all about details for me - putting together the most optimal combination of shirt / tie / suit / socks / shoes etc and making sure the fit is great. I don't feel like I need to change 'the look' as I interpret it, I've found my personal niche and I'm happy to continue in that direction with the (hopefully now rare) acquisitions I aspire to get. More than likely I'm turning from clothes to watches now. I have a couple of Rolexes but there's a couple of high dollar purchases I'm saving up for there but suits, shirts, ties, shoes I'm full to bursting on.

1 person likes this.
  3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

Not despondent,I said earlier in the thread part of the fun for me is finding new items that fit into 'the Look' a twist on it perhaps or something to freshen things up a bit,tbh i dont want to get into a rut.
    For instance,as I have mentioned many times I am looking for a pair of Plain brown Derby's,been thinking about some with a Norwegian stitch,maybe the Heschung Crocus...good quality and something of 'the Look' but a bit different to what I might have worn in the past,look good with jeans but could be worn with smarter clothes ( imo) a bit of a twist.

I am trying to get a bit more disciplined and stop making impulse buys, Covskins minimal wardrobe some while back made me think a bit differently.
    Currently I want to get rid of a lot of clothes and some shoes that I dont wear,and only buy a very few items a year keeping to the best quality that I can afford and trying to find the items that I want at the lowest price,another thing that I enjoy doing.
    Part of my thinking in doing this is that the less clothes / shoes that you have should create a stronger look.
    I think that probably most of us have accumulated to many clothes,shoes and accessories over the years,because thats one of our interests....it could be worse,imagine some peoples collections of x,y or z.

1 person likes this.
  4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

You know, I think that hits the nail right on the head.

5. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Tradition plus street.
    Givenchy BD, J Lindeberg merino crewneck, DKNY buffalo hide bomber jacket, For all Mankind Seven jeans, Church's brogues

6 people like this.
  6. Stingy Brim

Stingy Brim Well-Known Member

This bloke has some interesting musings on the way that mod and skin 'brands' have been co-opted into the mainstream:

1 person likes this.
  7. covskin

covskin Well-Known Member

^^ bit of a mix but ever the soulboy, Fruitbat

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Today's clobber - sorry, no pic:

1. Boots polarised shades - look like RayBans from a distance.
    2. House of Bruar tweed hacking jacket, olive drab with faint green and purple chalk-stripe check. I know, it sounds awful, but it's not. As near as damn it new from the charity shop.
    3. Black long-sleeved polo shirt by Russell, bought on line.
    4. Yellow/burgundy paisley scarf by Tootal, bought from a vintage boutique in Stockbridge, Edinburgh.
    5. Brown gloves, M&S.
    6. Brown belt, God knows where.
    7. Wrangler jeans, bought in TK Maxx.
    8. Burgundy socks, bought at the now-defunct McEwens, Perth.
    9. Brown brogues bought from Jones The Bootmaker, Glasgow.

• Weird combo, but it works. Preserves more than a nod to the overall aesthetic, plus my decades-long dedication to looking good as cheaply as possible.

3 people like this.
  9. Fruitbat

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    A trip down memory lane....
    Regarding chatter on the reduction in knitwear thickness and durability over the years, I would say these are at least twice as heavy as a modern day Smedley.
    Like for like they probably cost the same; 40 odd quid in 82 is probably about 160 now.
    The V of the V neck is a lot more pronounced than today

1 person likes this.
  10. Fruitbat

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Fruitbat

[​IMG]
    This came from a sample sale in 2006.
    I know there are different grades of cashmere- this is the softest- best quality cashmere that I've come across

12. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

SF Meet-up 18 November UPDATE

Morning Gents

As far as I know, there are only four of us that are definite for next week's planned bash.

Given the low numbers, the fact that our preferred pub is shut (as far as I know) and as I now have a tentative business meeting next Friday, I suggest we postpone it. We could try for something to coincide with the January sales instead?

It's a shame but maybe it was too soon after July...

Best

John

13. covskin

^^ those first two look good Fruitbat, the plain in particular. My face hurts just looking at them! Would look good still, worn with no other casual stuff. The third seems a bit overthought and deliberate to me.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  14. Fruitbat

The brown jumpers too small for me but fits the long haired general like a glove.
    Very seldom slip into the other two.
    I think it was you Covskin who laid down a loose rule on not doubling up with certain items, which I fully agree.
    E.g. Pringle in certain context OK for say the pub, however when combined with Stan Smiths you look like your searching for lost youth.
    I've got a decent leather trench coat, but added to bowling shoes makes me look like a Mod etc etc
    Age appropriate is the only way to be otherwise you run the risk of being sniggered at...

2 people like this.
  15. cerneabbas

Well its what I find interesting about this thread,seeing how other blokes who are influenced by 'the Look' develop their own personal look.

1 person likes this.
  16. cerneabbas

I liked the Pringle jumpers,I think that I had 4 in the 80s,quite expensive but good quality.
    My favourite V neck from that time was by Jaeger ( bloody expensive) Emerald Green with Navy,Gold,White,(and possibly Red) geometric pattern on the front,an elderly aunt said that you might as well wear those colours whilst your young..I certainly wouldnt wear it now.
    Lyle and Scott do some Argyle V necks in cotton,the GF bought me one a couple of years ago,not as good as the old Lambswool ones but not a bad alternative (imo), agree that wearing it with a load of other Casual clobber is a bad idea.....although I do see it being done ( sadly).

17. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Well-Known Member

The Casual influence is creeping back into my wardrobe a bit more than it has been in the past few years. It's such a broad paint stroke of The Look that there is a lot to pull from. I agree about trying to look young again by stacking labels to try to recreate ones youth, but I did that a bit in this photo (excuse the poor quality, I'm a terrible photographer).

Pringle cashmere roll neck
    Vintage Norrona smock
    Uniqlo selvage
    Quoddy chukkas

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. covskin

Thinking on Pringles, how great were sports shops years ago. Sports equipment with a smattering of clothing. Maybe five Fred Perrys, Slazengers or Pringles to select from, various colours and sizes, hanging (not folded) next to some tennis rackets or golf clubs. Always felt like you shouldn't even be in there lol

19. cerneabbas

Looks good...as you say Casual has plenty to choose from.
    I like Peter Storm for smocks,very practical and very cheap,the weather here is so changeable ( a Swindon v Rovers game called off in August ! due to torrential rain) that a packable smock is a great idea.

1 person likes this.
  20. cerneabbas

We used to go up to the shop at the local golf club for Pringle and Lyle & Scott.
    Sports shops now dont seem to sell so much sports equipment I agree.

1 person likes this.