1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Great looking footwear @AngryYoungPoor

1 person likes this.
  2. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Well-Known Member

Thank you Sir!

On a different note, I went on a bit of Viyella spending bender after seeing the magnificent example that you purchased on your trip. I've been hiding packages from the Mrs. all week [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Oh Lord, a man after my own heart.

What's the fit like on them Viyellas? Bibendum-size, classic, modest, or skinny? Or are there a variety?

2 people like this.
  4. Botolph

Yeah I've had couple-two-t'ree pair of Quoddy shoes: 2 pair of camp sole bluchers and a pair of classic "boat shoes" but with gum color sole. Definitely a treat for yourself. As you said, "like butter"! Some of THE most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

1 person likes this.
  5. AngryYoungPoor

I've purchased 3 on the bay. So far the only one that has arrived was one in collaboration with J Press which was a classic fit. The next two are Viyella for Patrick James (Canadas answer to M&S). I'll give an update as they are supposed arrive today [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr Knightley

Well done! Any advice on how to get things into the house under the spousal radar would be appreciated!:D

2 people like this.
  7. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Easy. Divorce !

3 people like this.
  8. AngryYoungPoor

Haha! In San Francisco we have these "Swapboxes" that you can use to get packages delivered under the radar. It's quite easy to use, check out Swapbox.com and see if it is available in your area.
    When my item arrives I "go on an errand " pick it up and mix it in with my groceries haha.
    After I sit on it for a few days I pull the old "look what I just found at the bottom of my closet!" .

Works every time hahaha [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Mr Knightley

Thanks guys! I tried divorce and for many years after I could not afford any clothes!

1 person likes this.
  10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

Snap !....but the feeling of relief was worth the price.
    I have never been tempted to do it again and I do and buy exactly what I want...I must admit I do ask the GFs advice on clothes sometimes as she has a good eye for detail.

1 person likes this.
  11. cerneabbas

I know that Viyella is a brand but did it originally refer to the material ?..maybe I am getting my memories mixed up but I thought that kids had Viyella pyjamas and vests back in the 60s ?
    I saw some Viyella BD shirts a while back on E bay but I dont know if Viyella still exist in the UK or if the shirts are imported.

12. covskin

covskin Well-Known Member

^ I remember viyella as a more generic thing too, sounds a lot like some 'new, wonder' brand of nylon by Courtaulds...

1 person likes this.
  13. Botolph

Viyella cloth is usually a cotton/wool mix. Maybe an 80/20 split?

2 people like this.
  14. AngryYoungPoor

All of mine are 80/20 but I've seen 40/60 in favor of cotton online. Great alternative to flannel.

2 people like this.
  15. Mr Knightley

Just for the record, Mrs K #2 is very supportive of my habit to the extent of taking pictures of me for Friday Challenges and the like[​IMG]

Back to Viyella, when I worked in an old fashioned menswear shop from 1968 - 69 Viyella was a highly respected brand and fabric. I cannot recall the actual mix but it may have been 50 / 50 wool and cotton. Clydella, another Viyella brand was also a wool / cotton mix but with less wool. There was a third label too that I think was simply brushed cotton (anyone recall that?).

The 80 / 20 fabric on my latest shirt is described as a new one on the label.

I haven't seen much Viyella of late in the UK. Austin Reed used to stock some pieces and I have a wool mix waistcoat from a couple of winters back that is made in China, I think. Acceptable quality but not special.

This shop in St John, Canada had loads of Viyella shirts in a range of patterns. The Sales assistant explained that they strive only to buy things that are made in N America or Western Europe!

3 people like this.
  16. AngryYoungPoor

Great info on a great fabric! I've had a few over the years but I am a full on addict now haha. Although, the most recent one that I purchased on the bay seems to have been cut for a pudgy 11 year old boy haha!
    I wish these eBay sellers understood how to use a tape measure properly [​IMG]

17. cerneabbas

I eventually thought to look at Viyella on Wikipedia,interesting that its that old.
    I looked online and Viyella shirts,socks and some knitwear available in UK..Atom Retro and Woods of Shropshire are 2 stockists..

Yesterday I received a sales catalogue from Charles Tyrwhitt,one item that interested me was the Puppytooth Car Coat,100% wool,Blue and Black in colour,now I am not a big fan of CT clothes but I think that style of coat could be worn as Streetwear/casual or on smarter occasions,obviously with the right clothes and shoes.
    I know that we discussed Car coats last year but I still think that this style is worth looking at,I liked Crombies but I dont think that I would wear one now,a bit cliched (if thats the right word) imo.
    I know that if you wore a Car coat like this with a pair of cheap 'slip on' shoes,polyester drain pipe trousers and a shirt and tie set from BHS (r.i.p) you would look a complete tit,but I dont think that anyone on here would do that anyway.

2 people like this.
  18. AngryYoungPoor

I've always dug car coats, they are clean and simple without being over the top. I just purchased the first pea coat that I've had in 20 years. It's a vintage US Navy job but in immaculate condition. Imma bit apprehensive about wearing it, but once it breaks in I can see it looking nice over a submariner jumper and knit cap. It's a bit nautical but I do live next to the ocean so I figured that I could pull it off haha.

1 person likes this.
  19. AngryYoungPoor

Oh and thanks for the heads up on Atom Retro for Viyella cerneabbas!

I just picked this beauty up:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. cerneabbas

Nice one...there are some good ones on both sites,of course the one that I liked was sold out in my size !

As regards to the Pea coat,they were very popular here a few years back and I got quite a nice all wool Grey one for a good price ( Burtons of all places ! )...it looks ok with trousers and black shoes but it couldnt be worn dressed down (imo) .
    I think that the Navy ones are more versatile,could wear it with trousers / tidy shoes or jeans / casual shoes /boots.

1 person likes this.