• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 'Keep Burberry British' campaign

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
You just refuse to think logically, although you are trying. But you still read everything through emotional hase. Buzz words form your opinion not a complete sentences. I remember watching America's Top Model with my ex girlfriend, when after Tyra Banks entered the screen wearing one of her horrid outfits my GF proclaimed with a glee :"Tyra is sooooo Ghetto!". I guess my GF was a black racist according to you. Or is she allowed to state the obvious because she is African-American? Here is another "racist" opinion: "I don't like to live in black neighborhood not because I don't like black people or think that their skin pigment is offensive. I and millions of others don't like to live there because majority of black people have different sensibilities, habits, attitudes than me. They socialize differently with each other, their notion of respecting the neighbor or notion of personal space or what is an appropriate behavior is different from mine. It is a "cultural" difference not a racial one. It is that much easier to slap a "racist" sticker on everyone rather than think what is behind prejudice and whose behavior is forming such prejudice.
Well, the inability or unwillingness to distinguish a housing project in Chicago from a subsidized working-class housing development in Harlem, from a middle-class black suburb in Houston, from an upper-middle class black enclave in suburban Maryland, may not mean you hate black people, but it does reflect a certain level of willful ignorance and penchant for oversimplification.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once in a Starbucks I met a black woman who was wearing a T-shirt that described the genetic similarity of human beings to (I believe) bananas. Therein was some kind of message about the complete inanity of race-based thought. She then went on at great length in describing the difference between "Trekkiers" and "Trekkers," and made known her excitement about various upcoming "cons."

I guess what I'm saying is people who are in favor of racial harmony are pretty into Star Trek.

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bergdorf Goodwill
Once in a Starbucks I met a black woman who was wearing a T-shirt that described the genetic similarity of human beings to (I believe) bananas. Therein was some kind of message about the complete inanity of race-based thought. She then went on at great length in describing the difference between "Trekkiers" and "Trekkers," and made known her excitement about various upcoming "cons."

I guess what I'm saying is people who are in favor of racial harmony are pretty into Star Trek.

That's b/c Captain Kirk was the initial leader in positive race relations. He'd bang anything.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because pride in inherent traits is disgusting, regressive, and a sign of uselessness. Feel free to disagree.
I proudly disagree with this laughable display of vitriolic hyperbole.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
What makes you think I give anything remotely approaching a **** what the US Census Bureau has to say about anything? Go to any college's "diversity" weekend for prospective incoming students and count the number of white white white white whiiiiiiite motherfuckers who are conveniently "Hispanic" or "Native American" or any number of other things. We'll not even get into the "one drop of black blood" line of thought that is prevalent throughout most of the world. Your condescension is wholly unnecessary and extremely grating, and I'll just go back to pretending to be a huge racist if you don't start discussing things sensibly.

I'm Irish (who likely, themselves, had Norse ancestry) and Cherokee (who were themselves not so far removed from crossing that landbridge, you know), but if I show up one day and start calling myself a Scandinavian-Irish-Asian-American you're well within your rights to tell me to go **** myself. So go **** yourselves, African-Americans. Unless you've got a real hard-on for daishikis, stop the semantic crying, "buiild a bridge to tomorrow," and get the **** over it.

Each one teach one.

What's the point of the rant about whether "African-American" is the most precise possible term? You've advocated for the term "black", but most of my black/negro/African-American/whatever friends and acquaintances -- some of whom are pretty dark-skinned -- are more brown in hue than black. What, then, makes that the "better" term? Racism exists -- as some of the posts in this thread clearly illustrate. Do you really think that if you obscure discussion of that fact with meaningless semantic objections the underlying reality will go away?

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
I proudly disagree with this laughable display of vitriolic hyperbole.

Pride in ascribed traits is the last resort of the truly wretched. And this isn't even approaching vitriol. Hyperbole? Maybe.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Don't go to Starbucks.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Buzz words form your opinion not a complete sentences.
There is no higher form of humor than inadvertent irony.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Don't go to Starbucks.

I was being paid to be there as part of a promotional crew. I was wearing about $3000 worth of hockey gear while this was going on. I don't play hockey. I would certainly not be in Starbucks otherwise.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Pride in ascribed traits is the last resort of the truly wretched. And this isn't even approaching vitriol. Hyperbole? Maybe.
"Ascribed" and "inherent" mean different things.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Don't go to Starbucks.
Starbucks hasn't been the same since Romulans started hanging out there, anyway.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
"Ascribed" and "inherent" mean different things.

I'm aware. I operate under the (perhaps false) assumption that I can play with words a bit here without people playing nonsensical semantic games. In context, my meaning is clear.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Starbucks hasn't been the same since Romulans started hanging out there, anyway.

Never trust a humanoid with pointed ears! I am just prejudiced against them because one of those Vulcan arses kept calling me "round-ear" when I was little. Ever noticed that they also get preferential treatmenmt at the otolaryngologists?

lawyerdad

Reaction score
I'm aware. I operate under the (perhaps false) assumption that I can play with words a bit here without people playing nonsensical semantic games. In context, my meaning is clear.
No, actually, it's the context that creates the ambiguity in this instance. And if you're going to tweak jpierpoint about his spelling (or, more accurately, his typing), I think people are entitled to expect you to be a bit more careful in your choice of terminology. I likely wouldn't have bothered, otherwise.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You feel that ethnic/cultural identification or pride is "disgusting" and "regressive", and indicative of an individual's 'uselessness' and 'wretchedness'. Yet you're unable engage in a rational discussion without hypocritically falling back onto a recitation of your own ethnic background.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads