1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The ignorance of others

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Mentos

Mentos Well-Known Member

ZOMBIE THREAD!!![​IMG]

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

1 - this is a rude question to ask - next time why don't you go further and ask him what his markup is. [​IMG]
    2- if you're that picky about it, you'd know/recognize the factory's handiwork anyway. [​IMG]
    3- the owner's right: it means nothing to you anyway. Why would you go to him to buy a suit if you would rather deal directly with the factory.

I don't understand why people need to know which factory a suit is from. Is the suit well-made or not? Can you tell? If one can't tell the difference between a good suit and a bad one, just buy the cheap stuff until it becomes second nature to tell the difference.

I disagree. The identity of a suit's maker can be a useful proxy when more direct quality assessments aren't possible. When it comes to suits, many signifiers of quality are less than obvious. Anyway, we're not all experts.

If the store actually adds some value to the product, such as service, information, and guidance, why should it matter to them if you know the factory? In my experience, it's only when there is little or no added value that a store is hostile to this query. Jay Kos, for example, will not tell you the maker of many of his things; as it turns out, they are not as exclusive as he claims and his mark-ups are huge.

3. gehrig

gehrig Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem with asking who makes the suit, especially if you're serious about buying. There's obviously a line between that and pepperring salespeople with thirty questions right off the bat when you're there to windowshop or buy a pair of socks. It's a line that most people won't cross solely because they possess common sense.

4. hossoso

hossoso Well-Known Member

Ahhh, memories.

That guy is hilarious. In another thread titled "what to wear/do" he becomes enraged that people do not believe that he is Lakshmi Mittal but in this one he says he was there with him. Almost as good as ernest.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

ZOMBIE THREAD!!![​IMG]

I know! [​IMG]

Jon.

6. 15DollarMan

15DollarMan Active Member

ZOMBIE THREAD!!![​IMG]

I love it when this happens. I stepped out for a while (about two years) and when I come back to the forums, it's exactly where I left .

[​IMG]

My account was closed thou [​IMG]

7. style from the heartland

style from the heartland Well-Known Member

8. lrooff

lrooff Member

Speaking of ignorance: what is an OP?
    It depends upon the context (I can't see to whom you're responding), but in most Internet fora, it means Original Poster.

9. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

What's the deal with Manton scrubbing his posts a few months ago? Did I miss something?

10. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

What's the deal with Manton scrubbing his posts a few months ago? Did I miss something?

My guess - his publisher has embargoed any writing until he's done with the next book.

11. stickonatree

stickonatree Well-Known Member

^what book did manton write?

12. j

j Well-Known Member

I love the elitist thread title.

13. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

My guess - his publisher has embargoed any writing until he's done with the next book.
    He is now a foreign policy adviser to the Guiliani campaign. Was credited as such when quoted in the Times of London -- in an article on the London Lounge, of course.

14. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

So if Rudy wins, the SF will likely have a mole in the State Department.

Cool.

15. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

He is now a foreign policy adviser to the Guiliani campaign.

Was credited as such when quoted in the Times of London -- in an article on the London Lounge, of course.

I liken Anton's participation on the Style Forum to Captain Benjamin L. Willard's stint in a hotel room in Apocalypse Now.

16. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Well-Known Member

This is my first post. I am 25 years old and just recently purchased my first suit. It is a two button dark charcoal gray with light gray pinstriping from WW Chan and Sons (I describe it as bespoke but not sure what you guys think. I am new to the world of suits).

Well, a few days after it arrived, I wanted to find a place that sold fine cedar coat hangers. I really wasn't dressed well and just happened to be in the SF area running errands while wearing jeans, a t-shirt that had the word "Berkeley" on the chest, my alma mater, and was carrying a backpack. And about two days of stubble.

I walked into Wilkes Bashford and simply asked a sales rep where one would find good cedar coat hangers. Of course, I was feeling very self conscious of my look and decided I am never doing this again. He gave me a quick glance and didn't say a word and then looked away. At first, I took this to mean he simply was not interested in helping me considering the way I was dressed.

But it was simply the fact that he was a man of few words and all action. He instantly lifted a finger indicating he was on to something, then jumped into action and walked away from behind the counter and over to a set of drawers. He pulls out one of their coat hangers. I ask him "how much?" and he responds "oh, nothing at all. Is there anything else I can help you out with, sir?" He then pulls out a Wilkes Bashford bag and places two hangers in the bag for me. I feel really cheap at this point and object by saying "thank you very much, but I would like to know where I can find some to purchase?" He is baffled and then asks another sales rep where I can find cedar coat hangers. They point me to the Container Store and even drew me a map.

They were incredibly helpful. I haven't been back only because I can't afford their wares. I'm a volunteer in an optometry office making $0 an hour to get experience for optometry school.

This is my first post. I hope I added to the conversation.

17. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Ignorance is bliss...

I do appreciate any elitist comment....It's quite refreshing in our PC culture...
    A bit of class-war is always good fun ,a great alternative to nationalism...

18. bowtielover

bowtielover Well-Known Member

That is pretty bad, I have also noticed a lot of rookies out when I shop, I think some stores are trying to pull in a youger customer base. I always correct them when they slip up and advise them correctly. on one had they appriciate it greatly which results in special treatment and I always get off on my self sound so sophisticated and better off than others.

19. jt10000

jt10000 Well-Known Member

Then they could decline the request politely for the reasons you specify - as the OP himself suggests. But saying " The information would mean nothing to you" is both obnoxious and possibly false. How can they know the extent of the OP's knowledge of manufacturing?.