1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rdsr

rdsr Member

Thanks for the info!

How long does it take for H. Baromon or Mr. Hui to finish a suit from start to finish?

I ask about Gordon Yao because I will be visiting HK towards the end of the year, and in the past WW Chan and Gordon Yao both visit near where I live. I figured I could get measured up, give them a head start then get right to the fitting process when I arrive. I picked Gordon Yao base on the recent discussions in these forums.

2. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

I brought an oversea American friend to Hui a month ago. I recalled Hui took a bit more than a week to give out two fittings then sent the suit by post after all adjustment was made.

I can imagine Baramon having a quicker turnover rate.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  3. Fishball

Fishball Well-Known Member

Haha, why you have this impression?

4. add911_11

I believe H Baramon will have more full time and freelance worker under its team.

Obviously, if the client request everything at the absolute highest level, turnover rate will be longer and very experienced sifu will be required.

From what I have heard, Baramon's top sifu doesn't touch the orders of a 'typical' client.

I went to their shop once with a friend and I find them pretty snobbish, I didn't have the greatest impression on them.

5. Fishball

I heard a lot about them before I commissioned my first suit, and then found out most of what I heard before were not true.

I think you don't really "know" them.

I am not saying that they are great, I am just saying that you comment is not based on any experience, and may be mostly out of your imagination.

6. Fishball

BTW, I do agree with you they are "pretty snobbish":facepalm:

7. add911_11

I agree that I have never tried Baramon myself and only have seen a couple of their garments.

However, I did notice diffent methods and finishing levels on their stuff.

I just can't mentally make myself to try them yet. Maybe I should go with you one day to make an order.

Do you know Baramon's workforce?

8. Fishball

No, beside the cutter, I don't know their coat maker or trousers maker.

9. Fishball

For what I saw in their shops (those suit waiting for fitting or pick up), I don't really see "too inconsistent" in the finishing.
    Of course, some sifu are better than others, but for what I saw, they are very "shanghaiese"

10. benjamin831

benjamin831 Well-Known Member

Not 100% related to tailors but does anybody know a good alteration shop in Hong Kong? Fishball, do you know? I know you're a local :D

11. Fishball

Ben,

Most if not all my clothing are bespoke, so the makers do the alteration for me. I do used a lady doing minor alteration for my causal wear.
    If you want alteration tailors for your suit. Central Worldwide Plaza and Melboure Plaza have few of them.

12. add911_11

I am always uncertain with the regional distinction. Nowadays different makers with different education works as a team. Does being Cantonese really connotes an inferior garment? Or Does Cantonese tailor can't finish a garment in the 'Shanghaiese' level?

13. Fishball

hmm.. it is something like "difference school," not because of the tailor himself is cantonese or not, is more on their training.
    Of course nowaday most of the HK tailors are "cantonese school," so you won't see much "shanghaiese school" tailoring.

It reflect not only on western men tailoring, it is also true in traditional chinese tailoring, like cheong shum.

14. manlai

manlai Member

I just came back from HK a little while ago. I got a suit and a bunch of shirts made at a place in TST East. The shirt fitting was a new experience for me because they made a shirt template for the shirt fitting. Don't know if that's a common thing or not. Their sifu are all in-house and local so turnaround was really good. I haven't tried any of the more talked about people in this thread though.

15. add911_11

I think only the top end shirt makers in Hong Kong has the practice to make a scrap shirt for fitting.

I never ask my tailor to give me baste fitting for shirts, I doubt they will.

Well done on your find and I hope it was a good experience.

16. manlai

manlai Member

Good to know. I didn't ask for it they just automatically had one made to fit me the same time as my suit fitting. It was a great experience! Price was good and they had my order done before I left back to the US. Place is Collar Seasons at the Peninsula Centre.

17. add911_11

I always wonder how can you guys find these shops.

Even local like me only knew the good old few places.

18. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

I have met GY's tailors at odd times and he does some cutting but I know what you mean.

19. Classic Car

Classic Car Well-Known Member

I had visited Collar Seasons before. The owner is a lady who specialize in shirts. If people like designer or high fashion shirt, it is a good place because they will make it for you. Price, fabric and craftmanship are reasonable. Last year, they can make you a shirt with Thomas Mason fabric around HK$600.-

20. manlai

manlai Member

I wish I can claim credit, but I got the recommendation from my MOM (yikes!) who still lives there year 'round. She's profoundly picky and only uses the best so I went with it. It worked out.

Carol is great, nicest lady and extremely hard worker. The 3 shirt bundle price was under $1200HK. I think she was saying her costs were going up so she was going to raise prices after the Chinese New Year so I don't know what the price is now. Can't imagine it's that much higher.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014