1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Fishball

Fishball Well-Known Member

That's good to know, I am going to be a bit tight on time. Land 7am on the Wednesday, now out Friday afternoon at 2:40.

BUt you have to be their old customer, that means they have your pattern on hand. And you have to have good relationship with the shop manager. They can do it doesn't mean they want to do it for anyone.

2. dbc

dbc Well-Known Member

They charge CMT for HKD750 now (700 before Mar, I think it was just four hundreds something few years ago), so if you know where to buy the shirting, you can save a lot.

I am under the impression that they only do CMT for their regulars.

3. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

I am under the impression that they only do CMT for their regulars.

I'd never heard that before. Is that what they told you?

4. dragon8

Oh, really? I think I am paying US$200-300 for my shirts from Ascot Chang. Usually Alumo 120s but also Thomas Mason. I guess they will do the shirts in 3 days if you are really in a hurry, I usually allow the 5-7 days they will typically tell you. I use the shop in IFC. Have had a good experience and made around 12-15 shirts there. I previously used several different (cheaper) shirt tailors around Central but the difference in quality from AC is noticeable and I am happy to pay a bit extra for the good result. [​IMG]

Most TM and Alumo are in the $200-$300 range with some in the $150 and up.

Yes, I think the cheapest you can found in AC nowaday is around USD120.
    They charge CMT for HKD750 now (700 before Mar, I think it was just four hundreds something few years ago), so if you know where to buy the shirting, you can save a lot.
    I tried many shirtmakers in HK, and I agreed with you AC is the best in HK.
    Actually I think they can even do it in 2 days if you are really hurry, and ask them at the morning hours.

I agree that AC is the best in HK. 2 days is without fittings though.

5. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Well-Known Member

Most TM and Alumo are in the $200-$300 range with some in the $150 and up.

I agree that AC is the best in HK. 2 days is without fittings though.

How are the USD 120 ranges btw. I'm thinking of not making all three from Thomas Mason Fabrics.

6. amdovers

amdovers Well-Known Member

7. hwai333

hwai333 Well-Known Member

so where do you guys recommend for a good quality shirt for under $800 hkd as I need to start to wear a tie weekly, probably need 2 whites and a light blue? or should I pay more for AC ?

8. Annadale

Annadale Well-Known Member

so where do you guys recommend for a good quality shirt for under $800 hkd as I need to start to wear a tie weekly, probably need 2 whites and a light blue? or should I pay more for AC ?

Bang per buck, Lee Baron Far East Mansion Middle Road Kowloon.

Do some searching, son, there are a wealth of threads on Hong Kong tailor made shirts.

9. dbc

dbc Well-Known Member

I'd never heard that before. Is that what they told you?

ya

10. dan'l

dan'l Well-Known Member

For those of you who have used both Gordon Yao and Lee Baron, which one has a better selection of fabrics? Or are they in completely different price brackets that it isn't realistic to compare the two?

I'm interested in getting a couple of sport coats made and considering commissioning one at each tailor. But my main dilemma is which to visit first? Perhaps I choose a fabric at tailor #1 and when I get to tailor #2, they have the same fabric I had already selected at the first place but not much else that interests me. I would have to go back and change my fabric selection at the first tailor.

Oh, and I am not interested in CMT.

11. dragon8

ya

Wow. I guess everyone is trying to get out of the CMT trade.

12. dragon8

How are the USD 120 ranges btw. I'm thinking of not making all three from Thomas Mason Fabrics.

The $120USD range is good depending on what patterns you desire.

13. clockwise

clockwise Well-Known Member

For those of you who have used both Gordon Yao and Lee Baron, which one has a better selection of fabrics? Or are they in completely different price brackets that it isn't realistic to compare the two?

I'm interested in getting a couple of sport coats made and considering commissioning one at each tailor.

I know you didn't ask about this but thought I could volunteer a recommendation for A-Man Hing Cheong, located at the Mezzanine floor of Mandarin Oriental on HK island. I just had a sports coat made there and I am very happy indeed.

AMHC has a wide selection of cloths and they allow you plenty of time to get it right. I have also had a couple of suits made there and they will allow you as many fittings as you need to ensure that you walk out a happy customer. This is probably the number one tailor on HK side, at least from what some people (with more experience than I) tell me.

A suit will set you back minimum USD 1,285 (HKD 10,000) and I think the lowest price for a sports coat would be USD 900. Can of course be much more depending on the choice of fabric.

Anyone else with good experience of AMHC?

14. abcd3fg

abcd3fg New Member

Let's say we wanted to stick exclusively to the $500-600 range for suits in HK (including fabric). Any suggestions?

15. bkarmstrong

bkarmstrong Member

16. abcd3fg

abcd3fg New Member

17. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Recommendations for tailors that can make a suit for around ~$150? There are a lot of tailors in that range and I don't know where to start. I've found one guy in Mong Kok who is alright but I'm sure there are better options.

I've a young guy looking for suits I can wear to parties and interviews and whatnot. Looking for a 'modern classic' tailor...

18. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Well-Known Member

Recommendations for tailors that can make a suit for around ~$150? There are a lot of tailors in that range and I don't know where to start. I've found one guy in Mong Kok who is alright but I'm sure there are better options.

I've a young guy looking for suits I can wear to parties and interviews and whatnot. Looking for a 'modern classic' tailor...

you won't get anything half-decent

19. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

you won't get anything half-decent

Unfortunately that's likely the case. The old saying you get what you pay for rings true here. You'll likely get something wearable, but it won't be in a nice fabric and it won't be something that will last more than a few years.

20. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Kind of the answer I was expecting. I'm just graduating high school and I'm not looking at buying something that will last me a while in case I grow out of it, and I won't be able to maintain a higher end suit properly anyway. Looks like I'll just go back to my guy.