1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. addedfuel

addedfuel Well-Known Member

We all have made mistakes and that's what the forum is about, sharing mistakes and giving recommendations so others can make a better decision.

When members are withholding a business merely for the benefit of himself, that's SELFISH.

Anyways I am sure there are many local HKG tailors who are capable of delivering a suit but as other reviewers have said, some tailors deliver specific cuts that may not appeal to everyone and the general time frame is 3 weeks for a suit.

2. JTA

JTA Well-Known Member

Well, can't say that, each to their own.
    Agree that there are many 'hidden' capable local HK tailors. One of the issue why it is hidden because they are mostly accessible only for Cantonese speaking community.

3. Fishball

Fishball Well-Known Member

Hahaha, people just want free ride!

I actually sharing information here, telling people that if you try hard, it is still some bargain in town.

In fact, many pals used to sharing useful info here, but they give up eventually.

In 2009, Ascot Chang just charged HK$350 for CMT a shirt, but after the "sharing" the info on the web, many pals bring in the shirting to CMT their shirts, then they raise up their price to HK$750 per shirt in just two years!

1 person likes this.
  4. gambit50

gambit50 Well-Known Member

Personally, I have no issue with someone not giving away secret fab tailor info for the reasons of increased customer base, price, waiting time, etc.
    However, I do find it obnoxious and distasteful, at the least, to come to a forum, speak about the tailor(assuming this is a positive case) and then not divulge the info.
    Either keep it to yourself, completely, or share.
    Don't be a bloody tease.

Also, telling people 'if you look around, there is an amazing, cheap, perfect tailor' is a completely dick move. That is not sharing at all.
    I think people should put in some effort for their quests(as I stated to a lazy, noob OP earlier) but this statement is absurd.
    There is a difference between asking people to learn something and telling them to reinvent the wheel.

Keep it to yourself or tell everyone.

Thought A Chang stopped doing CMT. Plus, it is HK, exponential price increases are not limited to Chang's shirts. Not that I doubt the phenomenon of web pub, mania and fuck off prices for the original customers. It is a definite and unfortunate. But then have some discipline and keep your pie hole shut.

5. Fishball

I just find out a Pearl report on the bespoke tailoring in HK, check it out if you like:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  6. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Well-Known Member

7. Fishball

The other tailor work for Royal Army was Ah Lee Tailor at Shek Kong San Tsuen, Yuen Long Pat Heung.
    But I don't know do they still stay in business.

8. Fishball

My wedding Tux was made by Yuen 15 years ago!

9. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

Nice video

10. Wongtouski

Is he good? The youtube clip I saw Yuen said he does all his suits himself and does not fuse them.

11. Fishball

My tux was not fused. He cut all his suits, you always see him cutting when you pass by. I think he may have his own workshop do the coat making.

12. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

I have just seen the video, His work sounds very promising. the tailoring must be quiet good if he can make a Napoleon army uniform.
    Will give them a check next time. What is your verdict Fishball?

13. Fishball

I think Yuen is a decent tailor.
    If you seach from the forum, I think I recommend people to check it out few time.
    They are not on the top, but they deliver what they promised at a reasonable price point.

14. add911_11

What is top? I always find such notion odd, since all tailors learn their trade differently.

Plus not all top tailors gives people top service, that's evidential in Savile row tailors.

15. Wongtouski

I'm going to check em out this week. Yuen seems quite passionate about what he does, plus I'm hoping his prices are stupendous as well

I went to Lee Baron over the weekend and a CMT 3 piece is 6xxx, it's frankly too expensive.

16. Fishball

I judge it by their product, not by their service.
    I don't think it i s too diffcult to judge the product quality by looking at them closely.
    First is the balance and cut, then the craftmanship.

17. add911_11

.... I guess we have to meet up and chat.

p.s. The typical savile row service is worse than what I get in Hong Kong. Perhaps I am not a Knight or Baron here.

18. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

What then, pray, would not be too expensive? I mean, let's be honest, these are fully-canvassed prices. Let's say half of the price goes to overhead, margin, and things like the necessary haberdashery, and that it takes 10 hours to make a suit (and I think for a three-piece, it's more), that means you're paying 300 HKD per working hour. I'd be happy if I could get away paying my plumber that much.

19. add911_11

But there are plenty of local tailors that is far better than Lee Baron, and charge the same.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  20. Stiva

Stiva Well-Known Member

Dear 911

Unless it is a secret, I would be interested to learn which HK tailors are far better than Lee Baron but charge the same for a fully canvassed suit.

Regards
    Stiva